Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2019, 12:59   #1

Anchoring in Brewers, Josiah Bays (Tortola)

Hi guys, I'm looking for anchoring advice from anyone with experience in Brewers Bay. Here's what I know:

1. Coral heads. Coral heads everywhere.
2. Underwater cables. If charts are to be trusted, these run through the middle of the bay. Question: are the charts to be trusted?
3. Off limits for charter boats, (due to #2).

So, I know someone on here has either slept at anchor in Brewers, or at least dropped the hook for some midday distillery exploring. I've also read in a few places that this is a favorite secret anchorage for those trying to avoid the normal BVI crowds. This definitely sounds inviting to someone like myself. Any advice on the approach into the bay, or where specifically to drop the hook? I will be in a Lagoon 380, so draft shouldn't be an issue if I can avoid the coral.

I'm also curious about using Josiah's as a day anchorage only, but I don't know as much about Josiahs other than the surf break. Any help is greatly appreciated!
hyperfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 13:34   #2

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.
Re: Anchoring in Brewers, Josiah Bays (Tortola)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperfine View Post
Hi guys, I'm looking for anchoring advice from anyone with experience in Brewers Bay. Here's what I know:

1. Coral heads. Coral heads everywhere.
2. Underwater cables. If charts are to be trusted, these run through the middle of the bay. Question: are the charts to be trusted?
3. Off limits for charter boats, (due to #2).

So, I know someone on here has either slept at anchor in Brewers, or at least dropped the hook for some midday distillery exploring. I've also read in a few places that this is a favorite secret anchorage for those trying to avoid the normal BVI crowds. This definitely sounds inviting to someone like myself. Any advice on the approach into the bay, or where specifically to drop the hook? I will be in a Lagoon 380, so draft shouldn't be an issue if I can avoid the coral.

I'm also curious about using Josiah's as a day anchorage only, but I don't know as much about Josiahs other than the surf break. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I have anchored in Brewers bay and yes it's full of coral heads
Coming in there is a reef in the middle full of blue bottom paint marks.
If you want to go in there I strongly suggest you put the dinghy in the water and have it find a suitable sandy spot.
Go near middle reef on either side. Don,t even try to goo near the shore you will hit coral.
There is some space but the charts do say there are underwater cables.
All in all Cane Garden bay os much safer and there is room for lots of boats.

Josiah bay...naaaa Will be rolly as hell if any swell. Go for Marina Cay.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 06:49   #3

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We have anchored in Brewers Bay for the day. Normal visual piloting and anchor on sand, dive the anchor. It is a tenable anchorage if there is no swell from the North. There is a reason there are no private moorings there. There is a beach bar on the South end of the beach. Cool distillery ruins. Arundel is operating at Cane Garden Bay (recommended).

Josiahs Bay? No. It's a surfing beach.

Other nearby less traveled options are Guana Island, Lee Bay at Great Camenoe, and Manchioneel Bay at Little Jost. All of these have their own attractions, get day visitors, and are very quiet at night.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 12:47   #4

So, for you two, did you anchor on the north or south side of the bay? My plan was to stay to the edges and keep out of the coral/cables in the middle.

Also, I'm aware Josiah's would be very rolly if one were to stay on the boast, I was just hoping to anchor, hop out and surf for a while, and then go pick up the anchor and head somewhere else.
Old 23-08-2019, 12:57   #5

Or, for Josiah's I guess we can just drop the pick over at Guana and dinghy over, that seems like a better plan.
Old 23-08-2019, 12:58   #6

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

I’ve done both. The North side has better shelter and had sandy patches pre Irma.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 13:27   #7

Awesome, thanks Rick!
Old 24-08-2019, 09:57   #8

Boat: Leopard 45

Anywhere on the North side of Tortola is going to be rolly with winds from the Northeast and a lee shore. It does usually quite down a bit at night but you can't count on it. Day anchoring only.
cheers,
Jim
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 12:45   #9

Boat: Leopard 45 (yet to come)

I tried Brewers but left because it was too much swell and I felt not comfortable with the coral heads despite spending almost one hours looking for the right spot. Cane Garden is close is more comfortable
Nelsons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring