Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2013, 16:07   #16

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Maytrix,

We love the bubbly pool. We like hiking around Jost. That's the other reason I want to moor in diamond cay....easier access to the bubbly pool. The taxi idea is one I never thought of. I have always wanted to do everything by boat.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 16:09   #17

Paul,

That's a good tip. Did you not feel as though you could pay out enough anchor chain with hitting the beach or the reefs? I sort of have my heart set on it, but don't want to be stupid, either.
Old 30-09-2013, 16:10   #18

Paul,
I meant to say without hitting the beach or the reefs. Sorry about the typo.

Ben
Old 30-09-2013, 16:51   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Re: Anchoring in Little Dix Bay, BVI

I wouldn't consider a taxi - just rent a car. Under $100 for the day. It's a very nice way to see more than just the anchorages. Excellent for first timers!

As far as Little Dix, we haven't tried anchoring there, but we were on a dive boat and made a stop at the docks there and I was looking around and couldn't see any spot I would have felt comfortable - it seems too shallow in many areas and you can't block boat traffic going in and out.

The other thing you risk by stopping there is that they might want to get a room and stay
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 17:10   #20

Maytrix,

I think spanish town, yacht harbor, and car rental is the way I will go after reading what everyone has said. I also never thought that there would be boat traffic in and out of the bay. That never came to mind. Perhaps it will be less stressfull to get the boat tied up in a slip, and then go out for the day by rented vehicle. I am a salt, and just prefer to stay on the boat for everything. I was also afraid that getting into a car would detract from the sailing part of the vacation. But.....we can get around much faster by car. I saw that some of the rental companies actually deliver and pickup the car.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Ben
Old 30-09-2013, 17:30   #21

No problem, I love planning our trips, so helping is just as much fun

One thing to consider, is skip Spanish Town and stay at Marina Cay. We spent our first night there with a good friend in May and he loved it. It's then a pretty reasonable sail to the North Sound where you could then get a slip at Leverick and Nick over there can hook you up with a rental car. This way the drive really is a round trip too - Not that you can't do the same from Spanish Town, and I'd highly recommend it - Some of the best shots I have are from Hog Heaven.

Here's a bunch of pictures I took on one of our tours of Virgin Gorda. I added Captions for some so you can see the couple that were from Hog Heaven.

http://sdrv.ms/1fYg8Kc
Old 30-09-2013, 17:42   #22

Wow!! Awesome pictures!! Savannah bay is gorgeous! I didn't know there was anything at the top of the baths. After day 1 (spanish town/baths/etc.) our itinerary takes us to BEYC (i like it there) for 1.5 days, then to scrub island for 1 day (love it there!). Then to diamond cay and great harbour at jost for a day each (diamond cay for sandy spit and the bubbly pool, the great harbour for foxy's and white bay by dinghy. Then to soper's for water and provisions, then to dead man's bay for 2.5 days. I like to try to not move the boat much in between days so we can just swing in the hammock between the mast and jib. Gives me a chance to slow down and unwind.

I want to get somewhere quick and get everyone off the boat having fun. When it is my wife and I we go right to north sound from tortola.

Ben
Old 30-09-2013, 18:02   #23

Yeah, Top of the Baths there's a few shops, plus the restaurant and pool. We love hitting that first for breakfast and then taking our friends on a tour of the baths, down one way and back up the other. I think I'd go down the Devil's Bay route next time and back up the other way, as Devil's Bay path is longer.

Be sure to stop at Pirates if you haven't been since they renovated - it's a whole new place!
Old 01-10-2013, 19:52   #24

Boat: Nautitech Open 46

To keep out of the swell you need to be east of the dock that the resort uses. When I was there there were a couple of resort boats moored in that area and the dive boat and resort boats were also turning in that are. You would need to drop close to the reef and drop back into the same area as they were using. Further east it starts to shallow. West side may be workable but that is open to the cut and too much swell for me. If you are not leaving the boat and waited last resort boat you might find space. On the other hand get there early and "claim" the space.
Regards
Paul
Steel sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 19:54   #25

I think little dix bay is out for an overnight anchorage. The evidence against it is overwhelming. I will opt for day trip at the baths, overnight in Spanish town, then out to North sound in the morning. I may go to Yacht harbor at Spanish town early, then rent a car to go to the Baths, etc, and then to dinner. The rental car agency says they will deliver the car right to the marina.

Thanks,

Ben
Old 01-10-2013, 20:18   #26

Boat: Nautitech Open 46

Ben check the rate at Spanish town before you decide cost around 120$ for a 48' cat.
Regards
Paul
Steel sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 18:24   #27

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
I think little dix bay is out for an overnight anchorage. The evidence against it is overwhelming. I will opt for day trip at the baths, overnight in Spanish town, then out to North sound in the morning. I may go to Yacht harbor at Spanish town early, then rent a car to go to the Baths, etc, and then to dinner. The rental car agency says they will deliver the car right to the marina. Thanks, Ben
Probably a good choice. We have a time share on Little Dix Bay. I would not recommend taking any sort of moderately drafted craft inside the reef overnight unless you plan to tie up to the pier and I don't know what the resort would say to that. It's not that there's not enough depth to get in, there is. But once in there, there's no room. The reef is not to be trifled with and is only inches below the surface at times and if you are on the inside, no matter where the swirly winds are coming, from you are either on a lee shore or are against a reef. Of course it's calm in there much of the time but the risk is, if conditions change on you, say at night, navigating the cut out of there would be a challenge.
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:28   #28

Garrett,

It looked so nice on the map, but since I had never really heard of anyone going there, that was a clue that it wasn't the best overnight spot. Plus, when I am going to go, which is in April, there is a good chance there will be northerlies. I am not going to plan on anchoring in Savannah bay for the same reason.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 04-10-2013, 11:48   #29

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
Garrett, It looked so nice on the map, but since I had never really heard of anyone going there, that was a clue that it wasn't the best overnight spot. Plus, when I am going to go, which is in April, there is a good chance there will be northerlies. I am not going to plan on anchoring in Savannah bay for the same reason. Thanks, Ben
Have you though about anchoring over off of Necker Island by the Bitter End Club?
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring