Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2018, 13:19   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter
Andros Bahamas

As you may know, anchorages and marinas are scarce in Andros... Does anyone know anything about this spot? It appears to be previously dredged and now unused.

24°13'16.1"N 77°36'14.0"W
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:45   #2

Re: Andros Bahamas

At South Bight you can either go to the North side, Lisbon Creek, or the South side, Driggs Hill. Look in the Bahamas Guide for a more complete description of each but basically: Both have marked channels (don't try them at night before you are familiar with them). You will anchor at Lisbon Creek, at Driggs there is a harbour cut into the coral. No dock, tie up to the wall for free. Don't leave anything out or unattended. Usually a couple of wharf guys will come up to chat you up. Last time we were there the constable came over to check our papers. There is no fuel dock, but you might be able to get someone to bring fuel out in a drum. You can fly in and out of Congo Town, next to Driggs, on Watermaker Air.

The South Bight is navigable depending on your depth. You can hire a guide if you really want to get far into it. The holding in the solid grass and marel is a challenge, plus you get a significant tidal current each way.

Very friendly people in both locations, a bit off the beaten path.
neworleansrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:10   #3

I found this picture of the harbour at Driggs Hill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0585.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	161917  
Old 10-01-2018, 06:35   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

Hello neworleansrich. Thanks for the "local knowledge". We are currently planning a summer trip to the Bahamas, and we are looking to visit places off the beaten path. We have a 47 ft cutter rigged monohull with a 4'10" draft. I don't have charts here with me right now, so I have been surveying the area using google maps/earth. I found that there is a small island just north of the entrance to the Driggs Hill harbor. The satellite imagery clearly shows an area that was dredged on its NW side. Do you know anything about this island? I also see a concrete dock and what appears to be a ramp. The island also has a few buildings.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:07   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

One chart shows it as a Naval Base. No information on w whether it is active.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:38   #6

Boat: Hunter 37C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchondesign View Post
One chart shows it as a Naval Base. No information on w whether it is active.
I'm not really following these location but there is an active US naval base on Andros, called Autec. Its located on the mid east side of Andros. Stay clear of the restricted areas as there are lots of nasty things that could happen to you. There can be a lot of highly classified NATO submarine activity going on at any time, including live fire events.
B25Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:08   #7

The main AUTEC is up at Fresh Creek. There is no naval base that I know of along Mangrove Cay or South Andros. There is a small AUTEC station on the island at the mouth of the South Bight. As you see on Google there are some buildings and a small wharf. I think AUTEC still has some automated equipment there, but no full time people. When I had the dink over there, there was significant surge at that wharf. I don't think you would find it accommodating for your sailboat. Even in the harbor at Driggs you will get some surge at high tide. You should bring several big fenders and maybe some of those orange balls since the concrete walls are unforgiving. Tide up on the eastern wall since it seems the least rolly plus the breeze will push you away from the wall.

Either way you'll have no trouble following the charts as there is plenty of water for you into Driggs Hill and Lisbon Creek. The mailboats run in and out.

You can run almost the entire route inside the reef down Andros with your draft. There are a few places where you must come out. And there are also a few spots that are impassable at anything less than mid tide, but it's possible. We have done it all at various times drawing 4-1/2 and only got stuck once at low tide. You need to read the water and not be afraid to touch bottom.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:47   #8

The problem I've had with Andros is it's just not that pretty and protection is hard to find - nights can be rolly. Not many beaches.

Other "off the beaten path" destinations are the Berry's east side, the Jumentos, Cat Island, Long Island, Crooked Island, Rum Cay, San Salvador, Plana Cay, Mayaguana. Each of these have anchorage(s) that beats anything on Andros for scenery and protection. In many, you will be alone.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 20:57   #9

Boat: 1987 Ericson 38-200

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
The problem I've had with Andros is it's just not that pretty and protection is hard to find - nights can be rolly. Not many beaches.

Other "off the beaten path" destinations are the Berry's east side, the Jumentos, Cat Island, Long Island, Crooked Island, Rum Cay, San Salvador, Plana Cay, Mayaguana. Each of these have anchorage(s) that beats anything on Andros for scenery and protection. In many, you will be alone.
How about reef health, water clarity, and depth for snorkeling?
drewm3i is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas