Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2008, 21:03   #1

Boat: Island Packet 35 #81
Another BVI Post . . .

I have searched and read past post re the BVI's, but humor me and help me again.

We are doing a 10 day charter late in late May from Tortola. Give me your top 8 places I should go and see.

I don't want the trip order planned out for me just your top 8 in order of importance.

Thanks,

DW
Duckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 22:16   #2

Boat: Knysna 480
The BVI are our second home, we kept our cat (Leopard 46) in Benner Bay, St. Thomas over a year visited there monthly. Here are the best in our order:
1. Little dix bay with diner ashore
2. Bitter End Yacht Club
3. Cane Garden Bay- best sunsets.
4. Manchoneel Bay
5. Great Harbor Jost Van Dyke
6. White Harbor Jost Van Dyke- best party
7. Sopar's hole-best deli grocer
8. Trellis Bay
9. Marina Key-best day stop with snorkeling nearby
10. Don't miss the spotted eagle rays at night in Cinnamon bay, St. Johns
rjrendemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 08:40   #3

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
What he said and for privacy Benures Bay on Norman Island (but don't tell anyone)
Old 30-10-2008, 09:05   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Where you should go depends somewhat on what your preferences are. Sightseeing? Restaurants every night? Partying? or quiet anchorages? The quiet anchorages are hard to find. When you get to BVI the charter company will check you out and recommend an itinerary based on your likes. If you like quiet anchorages here's one of the better ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lil Harbour.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	456.5 KB
ID:	5703  
Old 30-10-2008, 09:14   #5

Boat: Island Packet 35 #81
A little more info

We will probably eat out 3-4 times. Do not mind having a drink, but my last hangover was over 18 years ago and I made myself a promise.

Do not relish listening to others music all night.....

That anchorage was Lil Harbor, absolutely beautiful. Is that boat to the rear stern tied?

DW
Duckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 09:31   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Many tie to the rocks and trees an either side of the bay. I like to anchor in the spot in the middle as I like to face the wind and it swirls around a bit in there. If you anchor there watch out for a great big anchor on the bottom in about twenty feet of water. A lot of boats get hung up on it.

Eating out Cooper Island, Bitter End, Marina Cay, Trellis Bay, Little Harbour (Jost Van Dyke). Food is not exceptional anywhere.

Noisy places to avoid. Normans, Cane Garden Bay, Little Harbour JVD, Trellis Bay, Great Harbour JVD.

Quiet spots. Little Harbour, Peter Island. Drakes Anchorage, Mosquito Is. (Virgin Gorda). Lots of quiet spots in the sound there. Just stay away from the bar at Saba Rock. Lee Bay on Great Camano. Marina Cay. White Bay on Guana.

If you're coming out of Roadtown go to Little Harbour first. It's usually a reach or a run across. Drop your hook and decompress. Have a great vacation.
Old 30-10-2008, 09:36   #7

Boat: it doesn't have a sail so it doesn't count!
Little Harbor
Anegada for lobster
dive/snorkle at the caves

craig
NW Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 09:52   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I don't see a mention of the Baths? Of course the caves on Norman, and they have bouys there. We also like being tucked in behind Sandy Cay. It is quiet except for the breaking ocean right behind the moored, or anchored boats, but that's Mother Nature's music. We don't do the bars, so we are always looking for quiet spots.

At the Baths there was a small brown, carmel, and white dog. We had tied up the dinghy, and found our way through the stones. Some of it very difficult. As we were returning this dog started to bark at us as we entered. We looked at him, and kept going. He chased us, and looked over his shoulder. The three of us came to the conclusion he wanted us to follow him. So we did, and the path was much easier.

When we strayed from the path he would come, and get us. As soon as we got to the end he left us for a family getting ready to enter. We told them our story, and sure enough when we were done talking. The dog started barking, and the family followed.

That was 5 years ago, and the dog seemed young, so keep a small treat in your pocket just in case he wasn't a figment of our imagination!!!!!

Mel & I under the palm on Sandy Cay. Mel, and our friend Jim at the Baths.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BVI BATHS.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	5704   Click image for larger version

Name:	BVI.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	5705  

Name:	BATHS.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	5706  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 15:02   #9

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
As others have said it really depends on what you enjoy.

For me:

For good choice of restaurants, laid back music, family oriented: Cane Garden Bay. Of course Willie T is another, but not as family oriented in the evenings.

Fore easy/family snorekeling: Indians, the Caves (Normans), The Baths (Virgin Gorda), The Dogs

More challenging Snorkeling: The Rhone (Deep), Caves along the west side of Great Camanoe (swell in them and deep, but way cool), Ocean side of Little Jost Van Dyke (Big fish, sea caves, swell) (Note the pass between Little Jost Van Dyke and is very shallow and hard to snorkel through - better to go between Little Jost Van Dyke and Green)

More isolated anchorages: Sandy Spit, Bays on Great Camanoe, Soldier's Bay, Tortola

For Body Surfing and isolation: Josiah's Bay, Tortola (Anchor outside the surf line and swim in)

I like Great Harbour on Jost Van Dyke for it's easy anchoring, customs, basic provisions, and choice of a couple bars/restaurants.

Places I feel the anchoring is relatively easy (instead of picking up a mooring)

Soldier's Bay on Normans, Spanish Town, Virgin Gorda, Great Camanoe (both bays), Cane Garden Bay (Moorings, but still lots of room to anchor), Great Harbour, Jost Van Dyke, Sandy Cay, Sandy Spit.

I posted links to images of many of the above in this forum (scroll down near bottom)

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...l-19688-3.html
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
British Virgin Islands