Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2017, 14:34   #16

Re: Another ICW vs Ocean Question

East Coast from Around Norfolk to Key West. Intra Coastal Waterways. Inside waterway built for safe passage for wartime suplies 60 years ago Protected from ocean .. Also a partial one from western Floride to Brownsville Texas. Not totally sure about that one. Supposed to be 50 ft wide and 12 ft deep. But probably not.
mayberrybfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 18:15   #17

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
The AICW has beautiful scenery and lots of nice towns to visit along the way. Restaurants, historic buildings, museums, etc. The ocean has - the ocean.

There are just a few shallow areas along the AICW and you can plan so you go through at something other than low tide.
I've travelled the AICW several times with no issues.
Rwidman
Maybe you didn't notice that the OP said that he had a 6' draft. I see that you have a trawler and I assume a fairly shallow draft so there may only be a "few shallow areas" for you, but since the last 2 hurricanes there are LOTS of shallow areas on the ICW for a craft that draws 6'.
My vessel has a six foot draft and I am fine down to Beaufort, NC, but after that it is all outside at least until Jacksonville, FL. I'm not sure that I could get through Hellgate now even at high tide.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 15-11-2017, 18:29   #18

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post
My two cents are:

Go ICW through Pamlico, not outside, to Beaufort.
Beaufort to Masonboro Inlet, go outside
Masonboro Inlet to Cape Fear river - ICW
Cape Fear to Georgetown - outside
Georgetown to Charleston - outside
Charleston to Hilton Head - either way. ICW has some pretty spots, the distance is about equal, and pretty light traffic.
Hilton Head to Brunswick, GA - outside (you draw 6 feet - GA is a real challenge)
Brunswick to St Johns River - outside.

All the above can be done in day runs, even though you may have to start at 3:30AM some days, like HHI to Brunswick. From St Johns south, with a 6 foot keel, you have to go all the way to Canaveral to be safe, and depending on your speed, that may be a 24 hour trip. So you may prefer ICW.

Canaveral to Fort Pierce - outside unless it's blowing hard from the east. Entering Ft Pierce Inlet with a big following sea sucks, in my opinion.

All of the outside stuff depends on weather of course. I ran outside from Cape Fear to Georgetown one time, with beautiful weather and dolphins following. The next morning I woke up and it was blowing 25 knots at Georgetown next to the bridge 7 miles inland from the Atlantic. No way I was going outside, even though that was the plan. Did ICW, and only ran aground once (I draw 5'6"). But if I could have planned with the tides, I could have done it without touching - just didn't work in my schedule.
Enjoy your trip.
AJ_n_Audrey
Well thought out and well stated. My only addition would be that if you wish to avoid Snow's Cut there is a very nice path about 4 miles offshore (named appropriately "Four Mile Slew") across Frying Pan Shoal with a minimum depth of 7 feet at low tide that also cuts off a lot of distance.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 15-11-2017, 18:54   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliohale View Post
Are there sections of the ICW that will take an air draft of 78'? We plan to travel down from Maine in a 49' Cat. Water draft is not an issue, just air draft.

Gary
Sorry but you are stuck exclusively on the outside. Anything over 64' isn't going to make it under the fixed bridges and I don't know of any section that doesn't have a few.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 19:07   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
Heading to Miami from Chesapeake March 2018
No urgency to get to Miami
53' Hatteras Motor Yacht
Draft 6'

I am comfortable to 4' waves.
I am concerned about ICW unknown depth changes

Advice ?

Thank you
It would take you 15-18 days inside. You cant reallyrun more than 8-9 hours a day unless you run at night and that's really risky. 5 days outside I would run Chesapeake to Charleston Then Charleston to Ft Pierce-Then down outside to Miami. Then you can choose good weather and rest at the stops and still beat the long time going inside. If you do go inside any be sure to avoid Georgia as its a twisty hell thru the swamps. Big tide too!.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 19:14   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don’t know about his boat, but some powerboats props are the first thing to touch in shallow water. “Bumping” the bottom can cost tens of thousands of dollars.
Most sailboats just hurt your pride, but if you bend a set of wheels the size of ceiling fans and shafts the size of your leg, it gets real expensive
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 20:28   #22

I would love to to the AICW before I gather many more barnacles. Since I am in Seattle it may be a reasonable option to purchase a boat in Florida and head North then sell the boat at the finish line. I would like to do the whole loop but I want to see the sights and the history, too. Thus the complete loop might be a 2 year excursion. Maybe a boat rental/lease/charter would work best. For 2 people and perhaps an occasional guest
CascadeThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 20:37   #23

Accidentally bumped the send button. Powerboat about 36 to 40 feet. Anyone have suggestions for expanding on this fantasy. I have a bit of knowledge around the PNW and AK, but zero on the eastern side....and the Carnival Cruise ship to the Caribbean just got me a sunburn and 10 pounds.
Thx
CascadeThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 03:29   #24

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
AJ_n_Audrey
Well thought out and well stated. My only addition would be that if you wish to avoid Snow's Cut there is a very nice path about 4 miles offshore (named appropriately "Four Mile Slew") across Frying Pan Shoal with a minimum depth of 7 feet at low tide that also cuts off a lot of distance.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Finlandia, thanks, but I guess I'm too conservative to cross Frying Pan Shoals. I live in that area, and the sands shift so much, which I have seen personally, that I would not believe the charted depths. Snow Cut is fine for me, depth-wise, and it is maintained.

But to add to what others have said, maximum outside is almost always fastest and least aggravating. On the ICW, constantly be on the watch for crabpots, fyi.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 04:49   #25

I don't know if recent storms have caused issues but historically 6' draft would need to watch the tide in a few areas but otherwise very doable.

You don't have to do one or the other. You can mix it up depending on the area and weather conditions.

If you were in a rush, I would say go outside and put the hammer down when you get a good weather window and you can probably make it in under a week if the weather and boat hold good.

Since you aren't in a rush, I would suggest at least a few areas run inside for some scenery and visit the local cities. Charleston and Savannah are not to be missed, though you can pop in easy enough from the outside.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 05:51   #26

Boat: Valiant 40

With a 6' draft you're probably going to go aground once or twice if you don't have prior experience on ICW. Situations where it's an issue:

1. Some of the winding parts that thread through wetlands have a fairly narrow channel, and that channel is maintained for the path of commercial tugs and barges...it's a serpentine channel with wide turns. Drive your boat like it were a barge (vs heading straight from marker to marker) and you'll stay in the channel.

2. Where ICW's canals and winding backwaters meet bigger open water and multiple channels and markers it can be confusing and there are often temporary markers due to shoaling. Pay attention at these crossroads and transitions.

3. At inlets. Where the ICW crosses close to inlets to the ocean, particularly in the Carolinas, the shoaling can be severe and more important, ever changing. Seek local knowledge (SeaTow will respond on 16 and give you the lowdown on the area you're asking about.)

Ultimately you need to be vigilant, but it's entirely doable. If I were you I would probably stay in the ICW and make outside hops to avoid some of the Carolina stretches, particularly around Myrtle Beach and the Rockpile. Going up in March there will be a fair amount of traffic which is good; you can see people going aground in front of you, lol.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 06:52   #27
CLOD

Boat: none

When I came down last year and this year with my 6'4" draft I hit bottom twice ( both times I was out of the markers), and only "grounded" (meaning I got stopped and couldn't move) once (in florida and just waited tide because I chose to go through Pounce De Leon at low tide in case I got stuck). But travel days can get real short if needing to time the tides and the twisting turning can get to you. The real problem is that so many on the entrances have a real long in/out that it eats a lot of the saved time of going outside. And going outside still needs to time the entrances for tides and current and this is harder from outside travel than inside.

In the end it just depends on the forecast and where you are at the time that you can make a choice.
Old 16-11-2017, 07:01   #28

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliohale View Post
Are there sections of the ICW that will take an air draft of 78'? We plan to travel down from Maine in a 49' Cat. Water draft is not an issue, just air draft.

Gary
Very few (if any) of the fixed bridges have a 78' clearance. You can clear draw bridges but possibly not lift bridges. As I recall, there are one or two railroad lift bridges in Norfolk, VA. You will have to check these. Active Captain has this information.
Old 16-11-2017, 07:26   #29

I think the advice offered by all was excellent.

I would add using Active Captain on MX Mariner, Nobeltec or Garmins and always, always, always light up the yellow warning flags.

Call ahead to your marina the day before and ask for conditions. Easterlies push up "tides" in the ICE, Easterlies blow out the water so plan accordingly.
Be aware parts of the breakwaters to Georgetown and Charleston are underwater at high tide so be cautious when approaching in impaired disability.

When doing the ICE near Isle of Palms near Charleston, posted tides do matter so try to navigate on a rising tide.

And for newbies, remember to be nice. Slow down for everyone. Call on channel 16 when approaching a slowing boat, slow down and ask for a slow pass. Most will comply. Known that the guy you just walked will be your dockage at your next marina stop.

Captain BullDog Thal
CaptainBullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 08:25   #30

Dear Gary,
The problem is once you enter the A ICW in Norfolk, while there are stretches where there are lift bridges the number of 65' fixed bridges hem you in with very few avenues to go out and around.

Why are you hesitant to run outside?

Coming down from Maine you have Boston, Provincetown or Sandwiche, the CCC to Fairhaven then Block Island or Newport, Montauck then Cape May, Ocean City, MD then Cape Charles outside Outer Banks to Beaufort, NC thence Charleston, then Jax
Fort Pearce, Ft. Lauderdale....
Many legs will be through the night so adequate crew is necessary but it's a great trip as long as you have no storms.

I don't know what your final destination or your time frame. There are many shorter legs with more ports.

I hope this helps.

Captain BullDog Thal
CaptainBullDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw