Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 10:00   #1

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Another NY Question - even more urgent?

As we motor up the coast (pushing tide) toward Sandy Hook, in the knowledge that T/Storm Arthur is following a couple of days behind, where we're going to watch fireworks on Friday evening, suddenly seems fairly unimportant.

Our 'plan' was to try and get a buoy at the 79th Street Basin; can anyone give an opinion as to how rough/unpleasant that may get during the currently forecast southerlies on Thursday night and NNW on Friday? Or, any better suggestions for likely secure anchorages? Lesley's just been looking at charts and suggesting perhaps heading up the East River to Anchor in Little Neck Bay tomorrow night, then moving on Friday across to East Chester Bay; any opinions?

Thanks, Bob
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:12   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Another NY Question - even more urgent?

Last time I was in a similar position was with Floyd back in 1999. We were up the Hudson and the owner of Riverview Marina in Catskill showed me an anchorage just north of Catskill Creek. After we anchored a few large (80 feet?) sailing yachts came up and anchored nearby. Floyd was a big hurricane and dumped a lot of rain over the area. We saw many boats flushed out of the creeks, some still attached to docks.

I prefer to rely on my own ground tackle rather than a buoy. Go up the Hudson, lots of decent anchorages in the river and it will be inland. Arthur will be heading east. Go north and west. Lots of room in Haverstraw Bay.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:13   #3

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

I think you will do fine at 79th St, at least no worse than the passing wakes. And I suspect their moorings are hell for stout.

But the anchorage south of Statue of Liberty Stare Park is as good a hurricane hole as you can find. But unless the NJ fireworks get canceled, it will be full of crazies.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:13   #4

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest

You could round Sandy Hook and Give the Atlantic Highlands a shot. You can anchor or Pick up a mooring from the Yacht Club for $50.00 with Launch Service. I rode out Hugo there, which didn't turn out to be too much more than wind and rain for us. Hopefully Arthur will be similar. If this fizzles..you can catch a ferry to NY from there and watch the Fireworks.

There's Great Kills on Staten Island, pretty much the same options as AH: anchor or Guest Moorings. Not as close to town, but there's restaurants nearby and taxi will get you anywhere else.

Port Washington could be a good Destination Deep in Manhasset Bay..free moorings, lots to do in town.

Where are you now?

BTW..the Hudson (79th street) lies North and South..so you get both effects plus the effect of any higher tides and extra current and debris from Rainfall. The addtional traffic on the River from the 4th will add wakes. It wouldn't be where I'd run to. But that's just me.
Old 02-07-2014, 15:41   #5

Bob, Any position updates? Where on the coast are you?
Old 03-07-2014, 03:30   #6

Anchored in Gravesend Bay last night - great view of the thunderstorms - we're heading up the east river this morning.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Anchored in Gravesend Bay last night - great view of the thunderstorms - we're heading up the east river this morning.
Mother nature's fireworks... Have a good trip up the river..
Old 03-07-2014, 04:21   #8

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post

Port Washington could be a good Destination Deep in Manhasset Bay..free moorings, lots to do in .
I second that advice. Grab a LIRR train into the city and make your way cross town to the east river Friday evening. Cross the FDR drive for a good show and crazy crowds. This should be mainly a rain event and hopefully the rain will clear out by tomorrow night for the fireworks.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:39   #9

Boat: Hunter 41
I believe the Macy's fireworks are in the East River this year. A nice secure spot would be Liberty Landing Marine, which sustained no major damage from Sandy, and which lost no boats. It is right across from the tip of Manhattan making it an easy transit to the East River.
http://social.macys.com/fireworks/?c...WGmGJzo0kNb65A
uncledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:24   #10

Yes fireworks are on the East River this year and may be hard to see from any anchorage except maybe by the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island. The moorings at 79th street are pretty beefy. I would not hesitate (and have) stayed on one in a blow. Little Neck Bay also has excellent holding and is a good choice too.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:10   #11

Re: Decision Made...

We're now tied on to a mooring ball in Port Washington - north of the channel, apparently it'll get better protection from any waves rolling in if it goes north-westerly.

As for the fireworks, we'll see how the weather forecasts pan out; the latest one we've picked-up says that it's likely to be windier both tonight and Sun/Mon than it's forecasting for when Arthur passes by (hopefully) on Friday night.

Thanks for all the advice, BobnLesley
Old 03-07-2014, 12:38   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Bob, Port Washington is well sheltered as you might have noticed. Good shore access, fuel, restaurants. Louies is the traditional spot and they have dockage.

But also, great LIRR service into Manhattan although you'll probably cab over to the train station.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:14   #13

Boat: Hunter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
We're now tied on to a mooring ball in Port Washington - north of the channel, apparently it'll get better protection from any waves rolling in if it goes north-westerly. As for the fireworks, we'll see how the weather forecasts pan out; the latest one we've picked-up says that it's likely to be windier both tonight and Sun/Mon than it's forecasting for when Arthur passes by (hopefully) on Friday night. Thanks for all the advice, BobnLesley
How did you enjoy Port Washington? I know the ride wasn't bad as I was anchored in Cold Spring Harbor just East of there. I'm sure you saw 10 different fireworks shows.
uncledom is offline   Reply With Quote