Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2022, 05:45   #16

Boat: Oyster 66
Re: Antigua berthing/anchorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Thanks. So the tidal range is only about 46cm. Does anyone know if there are significant tidal streams or other currents inside the harbour?
There is nothing of any significance. I can dive to scrub my bottom without problem.

I’m there now, but will move soon. If you give me a few hours notice and have decided to navigate the anchorage at night I can scope you out a good spot. There are buoys too.

I should have mentioned, but Jolly Harbour bay is a great spot for a night arrival, especially if tired. An easy approach, fairly sheltered and if anchored far out no reefs, buoys or other boats to worry about. Has customs too.

Have a great last sail. Conditions are perfect.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 06:49   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Antigua berthing/anchorage

Personally I would decelerate to time my arrival for just after sunrise, sun at your back more or less, no confusing lights on shore, bright enough to spot any breakers and generally a lot less tense.. a handful of extra hours counts for nothing unless your racing..
But that's just me.. each to their own..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 07:20   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Sun at your back more or less?
To set yourself up for the entrance, head for lat/lon N17 00.211 W61 47.049, which is about .8 mile from the flashing red buoy the marks the reef (Bishop Shoal) extending off Blacks Point, on the east side of the entrance. A range is available to help guide you in, along a course of 043 degrees magnetic [±NorthEast] from the aforementioned waypoint.
Once you have cleared the entrance, you can make an eastward bend toward Falmouth Harbor Marina, and the southern anchorage.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 07:28   #19

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Be aware

The rules of course are always subject to change, esp. in the last couple of years but last time I was there Antigua customs and immigration would get VERY upset and charge a big fine if anyone but the captain went ashore before clearing in. They care more about this than any of the other islands I have been to (most of them)
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 07:59   #20

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
...negotiating a strange harbour which is well charted and buoyed in darkness but in good weather should be well within the skill set of a skipper with reasonable night pilotage skills...
Of course that is true but the old adage definitely applies when the port is not well charted or buoyed.

And in the case of Falmouth anchoring in Deep Bay (left just after the entrance) until daylight would be recommended due to the number of anchored vessels and shallow areas further in.
Old 29-01-2022, 08:01   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Sun at your back more or less?
To set yourself up for the entrance, head for lat/lon N17 00.211 W61 47.049, which is about .8 mile from the flashing red buoy the marks the reef (Bishop Shoal) extending off Blacks Point, on the east side of the entrance. A range is available to help guide you in, along a course of 043 degrees magnetic [±NorthEast] from the aforementioned waypoint.
Once you have cleared the entrance, you can make an eastward bend toward Falmouth Harbor Marina, and the southern anchorage.
Gord.. he'll be approaching Antigua from the East or ESE if his nav on the crossing was accurate so the sun will be at his back more or less just after sunrise.. this gives him a good view of both entrances from deep water when approaching the entrance, then he turns N to enter... after that its a piece of cake in clear daylight.. he is coming from the East.. its a transat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	252102  

Old 29-01-2022, 08:55   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
There is nothing of any significance. I can dive to scrub my bottom without problem.

I’m there now, but will move soon. If you give me a few hours notice and have decided to navigate the anchorage at night I can scope you out a good spot. There are buoys too.

I should have mentioned, but Jolly Harbour bay is a great spot for a night arrival, especially if tired. An easy approach, fairly sheltered and if anchored far out no reefs, buoys or other boats to worry about. Has customs too.

Have a great last sail. Conditions are perfect.
Thanks!

Come by for a drink on Sunday if you have time (and if we've managed to clear customs). It would be great to see you after all these years.

We would have no problem with this entry at night, but in the event the Owner is having a bit of Motessier Syndrome and demands slow sailing under spinnaker the last 100 miles rather than motoring on in, in these light conditions, so it is doubtful we will arrive before dawn. Currently making 4.5k vmg but only one of our crew of 7 has any eagerness to get to land so it's all good. I'm feeling somewhat sorry myself that the passage is coming to an end. Beautiful hot, still day, and the sea is finally really calm.

We will take the large vessel anchorage in Falmouth as advised, and then see after we get cleared in.

Any advice about dealing with Customs & Immigration? We are all vaxxed and all took PCR tests the day of our departure, so I sure hope they don't impose any quarantine. And I sure hope they're open on Sunday!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 09:02   #23

Boat: Jeanneau 57

No, there are really no tides to speak of. No currents at all, and there are no rivers coming into the harbour and the volume of water is small. There's no comparison to the bay of Fundy here
Old 29-01-2022, 09:43   #24

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

St John’s, Antigua & Barbuda Customs and Immigration office
Closes 3PM
Phone: +1 268-562-8755

Last updated: November 2021
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 11:18   #25

Quote:
Thanks!

Come by for a drink on Sunday if you have time (and if we've managed to clear customs). It would be great to see you after all these years.

We would have no problem with this entry at night, but in the event the Owner is having a bit of Motessier Syndrome and demands slow sailing under spinnaker the last 100 miles rather than motoring on in, in these light conditions, so it is doubtful we will arrive before dawn. Currently making 4.5k vmg but only one of our crew of 7 has any eagerness to get to land so it's all good. I'm feeling somewhat sorry myself that the passage is coming to an end. Beautiful hot, still day, and the sea is finally really calm.

We will take the large vessel anchorage in Falmouth as advised, and then see after we get cleared in.

Any advice about dealing with Customs & Immigration? We are all vaxxed and all took PCR tests the day of our departure, so I sure hope they don't impose any quarantine. And I sure hope they're open on Sunday!
Wind is fairly light now and dropping. Will probably be dead calm at dawn.

Customs will be open on Sunday, from quite early usually. Antigua clearance is an experience. An extreme of bureaucracy. Try to get your pre-notification done on Eseaclear.com before arrival, or before going to their office. It will speed up the painful process a lot. Contact me if your connection is not good enough and I’ll help out.

Nelson’s Dockyard Customs:
Phone 1-268-460-1397
Fax: 1-268-462-2767
E-mail: customs@antigua.gov.ag

Official procedure is to call on 16 for guidance from the Port Authority 6hrs before arrival. I’ve heard people do that in Falmouth and not get an answer from anyone, so try when well out at sea as you will get St John’s Harbour. There should be someone listening. I can’t be sure they will advise you well.

You will need clearance out, boat reg papers, a crew list too and some dollars. The master should clear in alone with all the passports. The crew should not disembark until the job is done. They used to be massive fines for breaking that rule, but they have calmed down a bit recently. The office is in the middle of Nelson’s Dockyard, 10 mins walk from Falmouth.

You could also phone. Info from Noonsite:

Antigua Port Authority Marine Dept.
Contact: Chief Pilot Sam Beresford – samberesford900@gmail.com
Tel: 1 268 732-4157
Antigua Port Health
Antigua Customs
Antigua Immigration
immigrationHQ@ab.gov.ag
Call 562-1389, 562-7883, 562-1010
Antigua Coastguard
VHF Ch 16 or call 268 462 3206/2841/2843 and 268 462 067

I look forward to seeing you on Sunday.
Old 29-01-2022, 13:32   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks! We did the pre-arrival before leaving CV. Hope the gods of bureaucracy are smiling tomorrow.

We've had a great sail today, but unfortunately not on our course. We'll pull the kite down shortly and motor on in.

See you tomorrow. Do you have a local phone #?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 29-01-2022, 18:19   #27

Quote:
Thanks! We did the pre-arrival before leaving CV. Hope the gods of bureaucracy are smiling tomorrow.

We've had a great sail today, but unfortunately not on our course. We'll pull the kite down shortly and motor on in.

See you tomorrow. Do you have a local phone #?
PM sent.
Old 30-01-2022, 16:07   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We are safe and sound at anchor in beautiful Falmouth Harbour.

Ironically, the main engine decided to die 3 miles from the entrance. We hove to trying to fix it, but gave up and sailed in, sailed onto the anchor. A nice way to finish a long passage, even if it was somewhat nerve-wracking in the event.
Walt Whitman
Old 30-01-2022, 16:29   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Good one DH.. you now have a Transat under your belt..
Next, the W to E crossing..??? its more fun..

Old 31-01-2022, 04:51   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Good one DH.. you now have a Transat under your belt..
Next, the W to E crossing..??? its more fun..

We are indeed planning to bring the boat back to Europe, W to E, which I know is more "fun" These 4000 miles have been a pretty good shakedown; now we know the boat and know what else needs to be done with her, and can get her properly prepared for more challenging waters.

Maybe not this year, but next. The owner wants to cruise Canadian waters this year, and I love the Arctic, so it's logical that after he's seen Newfoundland etc. we would take the far Northern route, maybe further North than usual, maybe via Greenland, maybe Western side this time, Iceland, Faroes, Norway. I know these waters
Walt Whitman

Tags
anchor, Antigua