Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2022, 14:40   #31

Re: Antigua berthing/anchorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
We are safe and sound at anchor in beautiful Falmouth Harbour.

Ironically, the main engine decided to die 3 miles from the entrance. We hove to trying to fix it, but gave up and sailed in, sailed onto the anchor. A nice way to finish a long passage, even if it was somewhat nerve-wracking in the event.
Woo-hoo!!!

Right on, Dockhead!

Glad you're safely at anchor and all is well (ya show off)

Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 06:27   #32

Boat: Hinckley, SW51

I like Jolly Harbour. It's an open bay that you can enter at any time and anchor outside while you rest and organize yourself. Customs is small but efficient and then Jolly Harbour marina is well run with a supermarket and chandlery across the street.
Gianluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 11:14   #33

I’ve been to Antiqua many times. The best spot is catamaran yacht. Across from Nelson’s boat yard. Very nice facility and much quieter than Nelson. I believe a woman named Helen runs it and she’s terrific.
bdurham49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 14:11   #34

Consider slowing down or anchor outside Antigua and come in the anchorage at first light .. Also English habour would make space for you stern too , just call ahead
MagicBeans55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 15:35   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBeans55 View Post
Consider slowing down or anchor outside Antigua and come in the anchorage at first light .. Also English habour would make space for you stern too , just call ahead

This all happened a week ago.

In the event we arrived without a functioning main engine and sailed into the harbour and onto our anchor in the large vessel basin. It was totally simple and could have been done with no issues at night. For anyone arriving at night with trepidations about dealing with the main anchorage, this is the place to go.

The anchorage itself is very straightforward and extremely well sheltered and I would have had no problems anchoring there at night, either. You just have to be careful for the various shoals but they are well marked on the charts. The anchorage is huge and there's plenty of space.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 15:37   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdurham49 View Post
I’ve been to Antiqua many times. The best spot is catamaran yacht. Across from Nelson’s boat yard. Very nice facility and much quieter than Nelson. I believe a woman named Helen runs it and she’s terrific.

We went there to have some work done.

It's nice, and Helen is helpful, but it is far away from everything. The main marina and the yacht club are in town and walking distance from Nelson's Dockyards, restaurants, etc.

With such a great anchorage, however, I'm not sure why I would want a marina berth.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 00:32   #37

Boat: Hooper (Farr) 38

Go to English harbour. Way better. Anchor off the beach on the starboard side of the entrance. But better still - slow down. Arrive at dawn.
gordonhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:48   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
We will reach Antigua, God willing, in a couple.of days after crossing from Cabo Verde.

We will arrive in the middle of the night if our progress continues like this, and I thought we would stand at anchor in Falmouth Harbour with q flag up until we clear in, then try to get a berth in Falmouth Harbour Marina.

But studying the charts, it looks pretty tight in there for a 67' vessel drawing 2.7m. Especially if it's crowded. On the other hand, we have good ground tackle and can anchor on short scope.

Any advice from those who know the area?
We have been in Antigua for two COVID seasons. Most in Faulmouth. You will have no trouble at any of the marinas if you choose to dock there. This is the Caribbean home of massively huge charter mega yachts. Some also anchor out to save on fees or to keep control of their young crews amid COVID. If you enter in the dark I suggest you veer to the left as you enter and find a temporizing location till dawn. There are many deep water places in the harbor. Follow the charts. Navionics is good. Many intermediate yachts choose Catamaran Marina. AYC Marina had many openings three weeks ago. You can also enter and check in to English Harbor at Nelson’s Dockyard Marina.

There is also a mooring field central to the AYC Marina. Well maintained and close to the marina.

You are STRONGLY advised to be full vaccinated including a booster if applicable. You can get a booster in the Antigua system, I think free. You should have a quick test and/or have been at sea for long enough to be meaningful. Joining the Salty Dawgs carries some cache with the English Harbor customs and immigration.

If you will be in Faulmouth for a while, consider joining the AYC. Perks include discounts on the restaurant, free access to the small boats for sailing, showers. The fee funds the youth sailing programs which are very good.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2022, 12:20   #39

Boat: Najad 380

I'm wondering how Catamaran Marina was point of view entry and exit. Has anyone hauled at Baileys next to and owned I believe by Cat Marina. I'm thinking of hauling there for hurricane season. I agree Helen is delightful. Thanks.
leveramikes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Antigua