Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2007, 15:39   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

So, despite the massive licensed trade to Cuba (including, literally, freighters filled with phone poles heading out from the Gulf Coast ports to Cuba, legally) y'all are telling me that I can't take my Bob Hope Afloat USO Drag Queen Review to Gitmo to entertain the troops?!

I fail to see why anyone thinks President Bush imposed the current boycott, as I recall the DEMOCRATS imposed the boycott in that heady JFK-LBJ era, and neither Clinton nor any other Democrat has ever sought to end it. Can't blame this on party politics, because BOTH parties have unanimously endorsed it. And by their own counting, the Democrats controlled Congress for 40 years, before they managed to piss off the electorate and lose it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2007, 16:18   #17

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Very true except under President Clinton and others, we ask for and were granted permission to go. Or one could go from any other country and not be in violation of the law unless you were stupid enough to come back and brag about how cheap things were. And furthermore foreign flags from any other country were not hassled or intimidated. That all changed so President and Governor Bush could placate the hard core south Floriduh votes.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2007, 03:11   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
ENOUGH POLITICAL CRAP!

Brilliant and incisive though our political opinions may be, partisan (and polarizing) political analysis does NOT belong on the CruisersForum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
I’d welcome any authoritative exposition of the legal implications involved in visiting Cuba; but don’t think socio/political emotionalisms serve any useful purpose on the CF.
Lets leave our heartfelt (and important) political opinions for more appropriate assemblages.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2007, 08:43   #19

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
I agree and apologize Gord but sometimes my typing fingers override my brain. But some political comment is pertinent to the question. Even a Canadian vessel is subject to a certain amount of hassle and possible legal ramifications under the current administration. Especially those foreign flagged vessels leaving from Key West. They are instructed by Homeland Security that if they leave from US soil that they are subject to the same penalties as a US vessel. So care is needed when dealing with them from that perspective. In addition the US Coast Guard is stopping any vessel in the Straights of Florida between Floriduh and Cuba to determine if they have left from the States and are heading for Cuba. This arbitrary decision is made by the commanding officer of the CG vessel. ANY vessels regardless of country of origin needs to be aware of this. Homeland Security and the USCG is very active in this area with the attempts by Cubans to enter the US, The drug smugglers and all of the additional threats. OTOH, entering from any other country such as the Bahamas, DR, Mexico or others is not a violation by FOREIGN FLAGGED VESSELS. It is still a violation for US vessels. That is a major change under the current administration which is still a mis-belief by many US cruisers.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2007, 11:22   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Chuck, camaraderie, & schoonerdog:

Chuck’s last post was factual (not mere opinion) – and, as such, informative and welcome.

I don’t see how inflammatory characterizations of governments & officials (epithets such as: “a brutal dictatorship, ”Slick Bill”, and “his majesty”), whether more or less accurate or not, add anything to the cruisers knowledge base. I do see how some will be offended, by one or another.

I too, hold passionate and well founded beliefs* (opinions) about US foreign policy towards Cuba (and others).
So what? Who cares?

Please don’t feel that I’m condemning anyone here. I have allowed my philosophy to colour my comments, on occasion. When I did – I was wrong. I’m hoping to help others avoid some of the errors in judgement, which I’ve made (and regret).

* Anyone interested in my political wisdom is welcome to PM or Email me – then wait for a reply(because it will take quite a while to organise my reply).

Old 26-03-2007, 02:59   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My Apologies

My apologies to those whose posts I’ve deleted, and particularly to those whom I’ve edited, without attribution.
I also apologise for letting the inappropriate political rhetoric get out of hand.
Regards,
Gord - Administrator

Old 26-03-2007, 03:29   #22

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
KaptainKen,

I spent most of the winter of 2005-2006 in Cuba at Varadero and Marina Hemingway. There were plenty of American boats there (I'm Canadian). There was one boat that made regular trips from the USA bringing medical equipment from the USA for the AIDS hospital in Havana.

I'm pretty sure the restriction on spending money in Cuba for Americans applies to any currency. If you converted American money in Cuba they did add an extra charge that they didn't have for Canadian dollars.

Hopefully the embargo will be dropped soon. Its a great place to visit.

Paul
phiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 21:41   #23

Cuba website

You amy want to look at this site for good info on Cuba. Cuba He is a criminal attorney in Mobile, Alabama which also happens to be the "sister city to Cuba".
hatteras is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba