Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2016, 20:04   #1

Boat: Lagoon 40
Anyone been to Marina Los Morros, Cuba?

I am planning a trip to Mexico (Isla Mujeres), hopefully leaving next week. As part of the cruise I am considering visiting Cuba, since its a short hop to the west end of Cuba from Isla. Has anyone been to Marina Los Morros? I am looking for general information and any information on getting in there.

I am planning to do this trip legally, and jumped through all of the ever-changing hoops when I went to Havana last November as part of the Pensacola to Havana race.

Any info, recommendations and local knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

Neil
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 20:13   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Anyone been to Marina Los Morros, Cuba?

The marina on the NW corner. Was nearby it in 2009 in a mangrove creek a few miles west. Then like looked empty when we sailed by and round to maria LA gorda.
Old 02-05-2016, 15:33   #3

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Been there twice. What do you need to know?
nolagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 08:38   #4

Boat: Lagoon 40

Thanks for the reply, and apologies for the delayed response. We are currently in Isla Mujeres, Mexico and have a USCG Permit to enter Cuban Seas. I am planning to head for Marina Los Morros in early June. I am not seeing a whole lot of detail on the charts I have or on electronic charts, so was wondering if you have any local knowledge or advice on the approach, anything to watch out for etc. and any local info on the area and marina. I have been into Marina Hemingway before and that was pretty straightforward. We are planning to head to Hemmingway on the return trip to the US.

Thanks
Neil
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 13:16   #5

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndavies View Post
Thanks for the reply, and apologies for the delayed response. We are currently in Isla Mujeres, Mexico and have a USCG Permit to enter Cuban Seas. I am planning to head for Marina Los Morros in early June. I am not seeing a whole lot of detail on the charts I have or on electronic charts, so was wondering if you have any local knowledge or advice on the approach, anything to watch out for etc. and any local info on the area and marina. I have been into Marina Hemingway before and that was pretty straightforward. We are planning to head to Hemmingway on the return trip to the US.

Thanks
Neil
We were there in 2012 and again in 2014. Using electronic Navix charts, I think. Was pretty straight forward.Neither time did we get an answer on VHF when we tried to call as we approached.
In 2012 it was very busy and we rafted up to a fishing boat that was tied to the dock. In 2014 we got our own spot at the dock. Cleared in, bought our insurance, changed money at the hotel about 3 miles away. Stayed awhile both times. Here's a link to the 2014 visit, go back to May 2012 for the other. S/V WAHOO: Six Weeks along the Cuban South Coast
nolagal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba