Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2009, 10:35   #1

Boat: 27' Norsea
Send a message via Yahoo to jwidahonurse
Anyone Sailed to the Azores ?

We are planning a trip to the Azores then Europe. Would like some info on the best time to leave..we will leave from New York and would like to find some books with info. Anyone have any suggestions?
jwidahonurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 11:27   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
Hey there,
Have not done the eastward trip , came west though. its a light wind passage after Bermuda. Your best bet is to leave early late may/june.
Ocean Passages of the world by the British Admiralty,or Cruising Routes by Jimmy Cornell will give you all the gen you need. ocean passages is more geared to large ships, but does contain pilot charts , hurricane transiting tips etc. Also Sailing Directions for the Atlantic ( another British Admiralty book) is invaluable.
I dont know how large yer boaty thing is but in a 38 footer we did 10 days to the Azores, 20 days to Bermuda and then 5 days to the USA. Never saw a wind over 35-40 and then only for 24 hours. Other people have told me since that's about right for wind range either way. If your boat is Ok in light air the doldrums are not too bad, you might spend 3 days in them without using yer motor.
Fair winds
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 11:39   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Anne Hammick's Atlantic Crossing Guide is a good book, as well.
Old 17-02-2009, 13:01   #4

I guess I'm too new to this..what is a boaty thingy? Our sailboat is a 27'Norsea. She is very sea worthy and will handle the trip...Thank you for answering me. I will check out the books you mentioned.
Old 17-02-2009, 13:14   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
boaty thing- the generally white piece of equipment that is sort of pointy at one and and sometimes flat, sometimes pointy at t'other. Usually has a tall stick like protruberance somewhere vaguely in the middle, and a heavy weight hanging down from underneath somewhere. They are supposed to be quite good at getting from point a to point b when both points are surrounded by wet stuff, although slowly, and sometimes you might have to detour to other points along the way.
THe Nor'sea 27 is a truly pukka piece of kit. ( thats good)
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 06:58   #6

http://www.rccpf.org.uk/Passage/PassageGuidesList.htm

By the RCCPF:
Atlantic Spain and Portugal: La Coruna to Gibraltar (Hardcover)

Villa De Oro
I heartily recommend Camariņas for an overnight as you come north. We had one of the best meals of our life in the Villa de Oro there, and the fact price was incredible only added to the pleasure. Gorgeous little marina in Camariņas also.

also by Anne Hammick and very useful as you ramble about:
Atlantic Islands: Canaries,Maderia,Azores,Cape Verde (Hardcover)
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:54   #7

I am new to this site and just joined today. I know this is late, and you have probably left by now. But for others with the same question:

More south - lesser wind. Constant high pressure area south of the Azores with little or light winds. Golf streem follows coast of US norht and turns east. will boost speed further north. From the Azores: Storms are coming from Greenland and New Foundland and pass between the Azores and Uk once or twice a week. (8-14days voyage) Waves from west, wind from all over. Most depressions go north to Scotland, and to the North Sea the rest heading for Biscaya.
So If you dont have a tight scedule and want a pleasant ride: keep south.
qilaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:57   #8

Thank you qilaq. We were going to go down mexican coast..but now we are back to the Azores....so hope fully no more changes. And when weather permits we can do the East coast and shoot to the Azores then on to Europe. But, thank you for the info.
Old 13-05-2009, 04:33   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings, and welcome aboard qilaq.

Thanks for the great information!

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:00   #10

Google "tradewinds" and look at how they blow.
You dont want to go too far south. Then you will meet the westerly winds. South of the Azores there is a high pressure area with little wind. Some prefer going via Bermuda to the Azores, and then south-east to Portugal or Gibraltar. Weather normaly settles late May. This year I crossed from Horta (Azores) to UK. The conditions was great from June 11. Two boats that started 2 days before us had to turn back.
We waited 2 weeks in Horta for good weather. Then we sailed for 10 days to Ireland with steady wind from west.

Qilaq
qilaq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Azores