Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2021, 10:21   #16

Boat: Leopard 45
Re: April 2021 in Exumas; recommendations?

Don't try to make it any farther than Staniel Cay on a 6 day charter.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:37   #17

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

What is the fascination with pigs on the beach? Saw them two years ago and can't figure out the star status of these animals. Defecating in the water and they looked pretty sad. There are much better sights and things to do in the Exumas.Especially around Staniel Cay.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:15   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim King View Post
Ditto on all the spots mentioned. If you stay in Allen Cay to feed the Iguanas don't anchor in the pass between Allen and Leaf Cay for the night as there is a pretty intense tidal swing in the middle of night that will turn you completely around and could dislodge your anchor and set you adrift in this fairly narrow passage. We drug anchor at 2 in the morning as did two other boats in this passage. Better to drop anchor in the middle of the nice bay in U Cay just 200 meters away. It actually had more iguanas and better snorkeling.
My favorite anchorage was off Long Cay where we dingyed over to the passage between Long Cay and Lobster Cay. You can do a drift dive off your dingy over the best snorkeling in the Exumas. Not many people know of this snorkeling spot as it does have about a 1 to 2 knot current during the tidal swings. It makes for an effortless snorkeling. Just don't let anyone drift more than 50' away from the dingy because off the current. Also the anchorage off Long Cay was one the most peaceful on the cruise.
Good point, I once had a terrible twisted anchor rode from doing that in there. I thought it would be a perfect spot to try a "Bahamian moor"! Took an hour to sort it out!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 13:35   #19

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

I like the suggested itinerary of sailorboy 1 and King. I have been through the area 12 times and never stopped at Highbourne and would skip it because the Exhumas are too beautiful elsewhere.

If you get a late start (or arrival) from Nassau try the anchorage on the bottom of Rose Island.
The Iguanas at Allens are fun but anchoring inside there is not good due to high currents. There is a V shaped anchorage at the S end which is out of the current and calm. Otherwise anchor outside weather permitting.

There are very few anchorage with protection from W winds so keep abreast of the weather. Normans Cay cut is good. Norman's sound on the side is protected and with a catamaran you can get in.
My favorite anchorage and a well protected one is Pipe Creek. I have spent weeks there. The E side of Big Majors is protected, but I have been told that the holding is not great. I have done OK there.
Don't have a schedule and stay a few days if you like a spot.
Make sure you are provided with Explorer paper charts.
You will love the Exumas if you don't push.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 13:40   #20

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Yes, I got the guidebook. Will read through it during the next few weeks.

I don't really care much about the pigs... I just know my crew would never forgive me if I didn't take them to the pigs and iguanas.

They also want to see turtles and hopefully swim with them.

Yep, 6 days isn't much... I was thinking same as mentioned above: Staniel Cay and turn around. Not going any more South than Staniel.

Thanks for the all the input guys!!
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 15:00   #21

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
Well, for a one week charter I'd say seeing the pigs at Big Majors is more or less your turn-around point. For first timer's I'd say try to get these in (not in order):
  • Anchor at Big Majors. Hit pig beach and Thunderball Grotto.
  • Pick up a mooring at Warderick Wells, preferably in the mooring field by the office. Good snorkelling and hiking.
  • Anchor at Shroud Cay (north anchorage). Take your dingy through the mangrove creek. Hop out to swim with the turtles. Continue on to the beach on the Exuma sound side
  • Anchor or pick up a mooring at O'briens Cay. Snorkel the airplane there at low tide. There are a ton of airplanes to snorkle in the Exumas and once you've sen one.... However, the coral here is great.
  • Choose an anchorage close enough to dingy in to Compass Cay marina and swim with the nurse sharks.
That is more or less the list we do when we have guests aboard in the northern Exumas.

We are very far from expert fishermen/women but we never have any luck fishing on the banks side. If you are traveling on the Exuma Sound side throw out some lines when you get deeper than 150'. Shallower and we catch too many barracuda.

There is not much in the way of mom-and-pop restaurants or bars in the northern Exumas unless you count marinas. Previous years there was a fundraiser fish fry weekly at Staniel Cay but probably not this year with Covid

This is advice you should print and laminate next to your compass...Right On...
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 17:15   #22

Boat: Hanse 348

Could anyone tell me what the current requirements to get back into the US are via plane. Leaving by boat from FLL next week, staying about a week to 10 days, boat is staying on, I am flying back from probably Staniel. I heard they have testing there, but not sure I get results back in time to get back into the states. I am also vaccinated, but I don't think that matters yet to get back in. Thanks.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 17:17   #23

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Could anyone tell me what the current requirements to get back into the US are via plane. Leaving by boat from FLL next week, staying about a week to 10 days, boat is staying on, I am flying back from probably Staniel. I heard they have testing there, but not sure I get results back in time to get back into the states. I am also vaccinated, but I don't think that matters yet to get back in. Thanks.
Do your research. I have heard, but do not know for sure, that the only test available at Staniel is the rapid test you get for your day-5 test when entering the Bahamas, but that a PCR test is not available there. I'd call whichever airline you plan to fly out with. They may have info.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 17:59   #24

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

Quote:

You can get a rapid test at staniel cay. It is accepted reentry in the US. The test results take 10 minutes. You can do the test the day before you leave. If you are staying 7-8 days you can use your 5 day entry test as your exit test.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 19:49   #25

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Also... where is the best place to do provision shopping in Nassau?

SuperValue store? Aren't there a few of them? Which one is the best?

As for alcohol... we're looking at 10+ cases of beer and a few bottles of hard liquor.

Thank you, guys!!

Will post pics
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 06:21   #26

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Also... where is the best place to do provision shopping in Nassau?

SuperValue store? Aren't there a few of them? Which one is the best?

As for alcohol... we're looking at 10+ cases of beer and a few bottles of hard liquor.

Thank you, guys!!

Will post pics

I always used Solomon's Fresh Market on East Bay St., right across from Nassau Harbor Club Marina. https://www.solomonsfreshmarkets.com/ Fantastic quality and selection. Also very expensive. Right across the parking lot is a beer/liquor store.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 07:07   #27

Also, is there a 'ferry' service that would go between various islands in the exumas back to New Providence for a flight back to the states? I know there is the airport in Staniel Cay, but we might be further north at say Norman when I need to leave.

Thanks.
Old 17-03-2021, 09:52   #28

Any advice on needing a wetsuit for snorkeling last week in March/1st week in April in Exumas. I assume water temp in high 70s? I would expect at most a shorty suit, but what about jellies?
Old 17-03-2021, 17:24   #29

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

Quote:
Any advice on needing a wetsuit for snorkeling last week in March/1st week in April in Exumas. I assume water temp in high 70s? I would expect at most a shorty suit, but what about jellies?
Right now Im just using shorts and a long sleeve rash guard shirt. Been perfectly fine in 10 ft of water
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 17:35   #30

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

Quote:
Also, is there a 'ferry' service that would go between various islands in the exumas back to New Providence for a flight back to the states? I know there is the airport in Staniel Cay, but we might be further north at say Norman when I need to leave.

Thanks.
Dont overthink this. I was told the round-trip boat price today to Staniel key is $400 from Nassau. Flamingo air is about $160 one-way

Allen key to staniel key is 7 hrs at 6 knots, Allen Key to The west end of Nassua harbor is 6 hours at 6 knots.

We will either take guests back our self if we nee things from Nassau or day sail to Staniel Cay for them to fly back.
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exumas, men