Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2020, 12:26   #16

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin
Re: Atlantic Circle Questions/Discussions

Pink would be very sexy on my boat. There is a reseller in New Jersey. Thanks.
Norm
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:55   #17

We did the Atlantic Circle starting later June 2017 and finished end of May 2018 about 11.5 months. We started in Ct and headed straight east to Horta. We had a 15 day crossing with winds behind us (either stbd or port qtr) but never dead down wind. It's common to run out of any wind as you approach Azores so be sure you can motor the last 200 miles. There isn't much anchoring in the Azores but the marina's (every Azore island has one Marina). The cost was about 21 Euro per night for 42 ft boat. We visited Faial (horta), Pico (by ferry) Sau George, Terceira,
Sao Miguel and Sta Maria. Then we sailed to Porto Santo (20 miles from Madeira). There the cost of the Marina was $134 for a month. We were there for 2 months. I left there at end of Hurricane season (Nov 29 and sailed to Antigua going right thru Canaries but not stopping ( crew wanted to get home for Christmas). I went almost to the Verdes before it made sense to turn West. We arrived in Antiqua 2 days before Christmas. We headed back to Ct May 15 and arrived 11 days later. Bermuda was an option but as I had been there multiple times so we sailed directly to Long island Sound.
One book I think will answer many of your questions and help plan is the Atlantic Islands by Ann Hammick (part of RCC pilotge Foundation) It's expensive but worth it.
I had 6th addition but may be a newer one.
One tip on the 90 days in Europe (includes most of the eastern atlantic Islands is you can get 90 day extension in Portugal islands.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:35   #18

Maine50:

Many thanks for the comments and insight. Sounds as if you all had a really nice trip. What type of boat do you have? Would you do it again?

I have often heard about the last 200 nm of calms around the Azores. My boat is a very good light air sailor, which helps, and I have the fuel reserves for the motorsailing if it comes to that. One of the leading things on my mind for the first leg. I can easily carry 15 gallons of diesel which is good for 60 hours at 5 knots. Maybe I'll plan on another jug.

If the places all have marinas at inexpensive rates, does a dinghy move from the essential column to the luxury column? More a curiosity as I like rowing and am building a small hard dinghy for that purpose.

Compared to the Eastern Caribbean, how are food prices?

Again, many thanks.
Norm on Averisera
Old 02-09-2020, 06:46   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Joining the thread. We have lots of tankage, 400 gallons. About 1700 miles. If the c19 crazy continues this loop may bea good option for a season.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:11   #20

My boat is a 1974 Tartan 41 but with a traditional transom. We had sailed to Bermuda and then Caribbean on another trip. the It has a healthy rig with a I of 54'. I would do it in a heartbeat. Biggest challenge was crew for the different legs. In the Azores a dinghy would be optional. In Porto Santo the boat had to be moved to a mooring when I left to go home for 3 weeks. In Caribbean dinghy would be mandatory.
Food was cheaper in the Azores, wine much cheaper and Rum you couldn't find. In the Canaries I think a dinghy could be very useful.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:30   #21

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine50 View Post
My boat is a 1974 Tartan 41 but with a traditional transom. We had sailed to Bermuda and then Caribbean on another trip. the It has a healthy rig with a I of 54'. I would do it in a heartbeat. Biggest challenge was crew for the different legs. In the Azores a dinghy would be optional. In Porto Santo the boat had to be moved to a mooring when I left to go home for 3 weeks. In Caribbean dinghy would be mandatory.
Food was cheaper in the Azores, wine much cheaper and Rum you couldn't find. In the Canaries I think a dinghy could be very useful.
In Porto Santo you can anchor by the beach, or inside the harbour (limited space). Either way you pay the €5 a day dues. They were all super friendly in the marina there. Don't forget to take some paint to put your artwork on the harbour wall.

I wouldn't say there is much/anything to do really on the Island other than have a look around at the hills. I was with two Portuguese citizens at the time, but everyone spoke English.

Madeira island is much better IMO. You can anchor in the north east for a while if you like to be isolated, then climb the hill/mountain there for some spectacular views.

Anchoring outside the main city is not very nice. Murky water, about 14m deep, and a fair amount of swell action. The city itself is nice though.

Anchorages in the Canaries are pretty poor really. Graciosa is ok for a day or two. Then there is Playa Blanca outside Marina Rubicon (I spent a month or two there), but there is constant construction and dust blowing directly into the anchorage. Papagayo is very pretty but rough as hell.

The Tenerife anchorages were worse, in terms of wind and swell. Bear in mind it's always blowing 20-30knts. I did have a fantastic time in Santa Cruz though. The marina is industrial looking, but the city is fun.

The most impressive anchorages for me were on La Gomera. Unless you like hiking there is nothing to do, but island is pretty. I went to El Hierro, as it's a bit off the beaten path. I wouldn't recommend it. The marina in the capital is nice, but isolated. Restinga is a tiny place, only good for waiting out weather or taking a diving trip.

It's worth stating that I'm in my 30s, so cruisers of different ages might have other ideas. As I often find out when I ask for wintering recommendations.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:03   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Tartan 41 is a nice boat. There was one in Saginaw Bay, Lake Huron that we raced against in a Heritage One Ton back in the 70s. The Tartan was fast and had a great rating.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:54   #23

Thanks everyone. I love the way my plan/dream of an Atlantic Circle is coming together. (70 y o guys dream, too)

I understand about a dinghy and I hear and read that there aren't a lot of good anchorages. It will be an experience after cruising the US East Coast, Bahamas and Caribbean. Part of why I'd like to see the islands.

The boat I'd love to be able to get is the Hughes 35, S&S design 2166, which is similar to the Tartan 41, sea kindly hull form. There is only one for sale and its in Canada which is off limits for me right now.

My Aphrodite is OK but I have to beef up the full depth entry to the cabin, raise the hatch boards and make water tight as well as add a couple of cockpit drains... just to be a bit safer.

Watching the Noon Sight web site to see how islands and countries are opening up, or not.

Thanks, Norm on Averisera
Old 29-10-2020, 05:03   #24

Your trip will depend, to a large extent, on the evolution and results of the covid-19 pandemic in the countries you intend to visit.
Therefore, it is important to remember that ETIAS, the new visa for Europe, will come into force at the end of 2022 and will affect US citizens, among other elegible countries.
If your trip is postponed to 2022, before starting your trip, you will need to fill out the ETIAS application
Lisa Evans is offline   Reply With Quote