Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2010, 14:12   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Atlantic Crossings

I am interested in gathering more information about Atlantic crossings. I am considering leaving from the East Coast of the US and going to Spain or Portugal. I have found two couples with boats like mine who have done the crossing. One boat with three aboard left from North Carolina on June 3rd and Arrived in the Azores June 21st without using a Spinnaker. The other boat a couple left Fort Lauderdale on May 29th and arrived in the Azores on June 24th.

The thought now is of leaving from North Carolina Can anyone give recommendations for a good boat DIY yard in the area to help me restep my Mast and any other last minute things I need to get done.

Also am wondering about state personal property taxes in North Carolina and when they would kick in so I can plan for how long I can leave my boat in state without being subject to the taxes.

If you have done an Atlantic Crossing could you tell me how long it took? On what kind of boat? and any other detail that you might think pertinent.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 14:25   #2

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
I've taken two trans-Atlantic, non-stop trips. One by passenger liner took 5 days and another by cruise ship taking 9 days, using different routes and different speeds. What kind of boat is yours? (Just kidding, although I'm interested in knowing your boat.)
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 14:51   #3

Charlie

Says it under my name

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 30-08-2010, 15:18   #4

This was taken from the North Carolina Website:

What Vessels Do Not Need Registration?

Vessels that are unused and kept on dry land do not need registration in North Carolina.
Rowboats, canoes, and rafts moved only by oars, paddles, or the current do not need registration in North Carolina.
A vessel used only on a private pond does not need registration in North Carolina.
Vessels Documented with the U.S. Coast Guard do not need to be registered in North Carolina.
Ship's lifeboats or dinghies do not need to be registered if they are used only for emergency lifeboat purposes. However, if they are motorized and used for non-emergency purposes, they do require registration.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 30-08-2010, 15:34   #5

Boat: San Juan 28
If you end up in Spain make sure you don't overstay your visa. There was a thread on here last year concerning a couple who were forced to pay taxes on their boat after staying too long.
Arch Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 15:52   #6

Doh! Forgive me. I'm new here.
Old 30-08-2010, 15:55   #7

Sorry Mark I should have noticed. Thanks Arch I have been looking at that and found some interesting articles on that exact topic.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 30-08-2010, 16:08   #8

Sceptre 41 ... nice boats. I'd have a problem with that huge jib. Were any of the boats made into cutters to break-up the jib?
Old 30-08-2010, 16:29   #9

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Take the ARC Europe from Bermuda in mid-May.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 16:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by speciald@ocens. View Post
Take the ARC Europe from Bermuda in mid-May.
Going the other way. Besides having been on one rally I don't think I would join another.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 30-08-2010, 16:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Sceptre 41 ... nice boats. I'd have a problem with that huge jib. Were any of the boats made into cutters to break-up the jib?
They are all cutter rigs. Most of them sail with a 135% jib but I have a 100% jib because I sail mostly with my wife and kids.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 30-08-2010, 17:00   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
The last time I crossed the pond, leaving from Ft. Lauderale, I stopped in Bermuda, Azores, Gibraltar, then Barcelona. I had some tough weather between the Azores and Gib, but rode it out fine. Nice trip, mostly good weather, and a great experience.
Old 30-08-2010, 17:38   #13

Boat: Cabo Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
The thought now is of leaving from North Carolina Can anyone give recommendations for a good boat DIY yard in the area to help me restep my Mast and any other last minute things I need to get done.
Oriental would be a good place to get prepared. A good yard to use there is Sailcraft.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 17:40   #14

Boat: Cape Dory
from my armchair

Check out noonsite.com. Lots of great routing info there.
-M
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 18:49   #15

Boat: 2009 Bénéteau 31
Time, time time....

Hi, time is relative!
I crossed from Charleston SC to Bermuda, Azores and Cascais (Lisboa) on a C&C Landfall 38. Wintered in Portugal & Spain, sailed to the Canaries in spring. When you enter the Azores your EU VAT TAX clock starts ticking; you have 18 months before you are assessed. I landed in Horta, Azores on Aug 4th 2004, left Las Palmas de Gran Canaria on Jan 13th 2006... I came back in the interim but was never bothered with overstaying in the Schengen countries (most of Europe).
Crossing times are relative: about seven days from Charleston to Bermuda, sixteen from Bermuda to Horta, two days from Horta to Sao Miguel, ten days to Cascais. Total 35 days at sea. Visiting & crew change time: seven days in Bermuda, ten days in the Açores, about a ten days in Cascais to visit northern Portugal. That's about two months travel time, I then had the boat laid up near Lisboa and flew home.
I went back later with my wife and we cruised around the south of Portugal and into Spain. We stayed in the Rota-Cadiz area for the winter.
Watch out as you enter European waters, the markers are reversed "Red Green Returning" here!
This is the crossing you wish to do: I did it between June 15 and August 20.
Get the Atlantic Pilot charts & do the crossinf according to weather; it could get vicious out there.
Pierre, Le Caboteur
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Traversée (053).jpg
Views:	190
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	18802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Traversée (076).jpg
Views:	203
Size:	465.1 KB
ID:	18803  

Click image for larger version