Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2008, 02:18   #1

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
Atlantic routes

I collect my boat from Cape Town in early October and I need to get to Tenerife. I have been told that the leg from Cape Verde to Tenerife that time of the year is darn near impossible due to the winds and currents being right on the nose. An alternative I have been given is to stop in Gambia and wait for a weather window and then coastal hop all the way to Tenerife. I'm not convinced and haven't the time to wait for possibly weeks in Gambia for a window.
Has any one got any experience or advise for the best route to take.
Many thanks
Adaero
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 03:01   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Sounds like a nice passage.
I don't have the personal experience but would suggest you explore heading west to S America, up the east coast to Caribbean, and then north east to Azores, and down to Canary Islands. My weather routing shows for October you'd get more favourable winds (especially for a big cat) than beating up the African coasts - but of course you'll be covering a lot more miles.
Good luck
JOHN
Old 26-05-2008, 03:43   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
“Needing” to get from point “A” to point “B”, in a specific time frame, is a recipe for disaster.

Most boats depart the Cape (Good Hope) for St. Helena & the Cape Verdes in the Southern Summer (November - April), and benefit from the South-East Trades, and Benguela (sp?) Current (if inshore).
The Canary Current runs South-West from the Canaries towards the Cape Verdes, and the Equatorial Current runs Westward, making this a more difficult passage.

Good luck! I fear you may need it.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 08:23   #4

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
Gord
I'm not in a real hurry but the admiral isn't on the trip and I don't think she would be too happy if I'm stuck in Gambia for a month waiting for a weather window.

Swagman
I am in two minds at the moment whether to go direct to the Carib via St Helena and Brazil and then return to Tenerife in May. We have planned to do the Med for a few years before doing the Carib but 6 months there first would be nice albeit a bit pricey flight wise compared to the Med.

Thanks
Adaero
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 10:46   #5

Boat: Dufour 35
Adero
The short version would be as follows:
Follow the route from Cape Town to the Azores. Once north of the equator use every opportunity for easting. Join the route from the Azores to the Canaries as soon as you can.
Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote