Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2007, 11:58   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
ATMs in the Bahamas

One of the people going with me to the Abacos is concerned that he may not be able to use his Visa/Mastercard debit card in an ATM there. Not concerned about the fees ... just want's to hear someone say with authority ... "yes you can use it there" ....?
Bob
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 12:07   #2

You should be able to use it without issue. Cant speak specificly to the abacos as im from nassau but as long as they are connected to the grid you should be good to go
misiu02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 00:49   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Look at the back of your bank card to see which network you're on, then call or check online for ATM locations at your destinations.
Cirrus: tel. 800/424-7787 Welcome to MasterCard Worldwide
PLUS: tel. 800/843-7587 Visa Global Gateway

Know your personal identification number (PIN) and your daily withdrawal limit. Ask your card carrier if your current PIN works in the Bahamas, particularly in the Out Islands. Every card is different, but some need a four-digit, rather than a six-digit, PIN to withdraw cash abroad.

Some banks and credit card companies recommend that you notify them of any impending trip abroad so they don't become suspicious when the card is used in a foreign destination and your charges are blocked. If you don't call in advance, you can always call the card's toll-free emergency number if a charge is refused -- a good reason to carry the phone number with you.

Scotia Bank ATM Locations (Bahamas):
ATM Locations

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 08:29   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Wahoo, just tell them to hold the card at arm's length, with the front of the card facing them, and speak directly at the card. There's a tiny webcam located in the "0" in the credit card number, make sure not to block it with their fingers. Make sure they can see it is you and say "Hi, it's me, [recite name, account number, and pin code aloud] and I want to use my card in Abacos now, please unlock the pin code" and give them at least 60 seconds to process it before putting the card in the ATM. The audio is only one-way, they can't reply to you.

<WEG>

Or, they could just CALL THEIR BANK if they want more reliable information than they might get on the internet.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 09:06   #5

Boat: Tayana FD-12
I have the visa check card and there are no fees if you take the money out of Royal Bank of Canada ATM in Marsh Harbor. Nippers on Great Guana Cay has wifi, takes credit cards, and lets you call US from the bar phone if you hang out at the bar. Some ATMs give you choice of currency but some just give you bahamian dollars.
We are in Georgetown at the moment and its nice to be able to take money out without any fees. Heck I can't even do that at home in RI.
Petar
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 06:42   #6

Boat: S2 11.0A
Just Don't come back to the US with Bahamian money. The exchange rate is 1 to 1 in the Bahamas. In the US you'll get 80 some cents to the dollar.
Panama Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 11:42   #7

There are at least 3 places in Marsh Harbor that have ATM's...2 banks and the grocery store. There is also an ATM machine in Treasure Cay. I am not aware of any on anny of the Cays. All provide ONLY Bahamian currency so only cash what you can use. The Scotia Bank will change US dollars back.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 15:23   #8

Boat: Hunter 320 - Knot a Chance
This should help:

MasterCard Global ATM Locator
MasterCard Global ATM Locator*| MasterCard&#174;

Visa ATM Locator
ATM Locator | Visa ATMs | Find Bank Cash Machines
diverpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 15:30   #9

Boat: Privilege 37
I used my ATM card at Georgetown, Nassau and spanishwells with no issues. It actually was better to get cash, I then didn't have to pay the credit card surcharge several merchants wanted to charge me.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 15:33   #10

Wow!!

Thanks Pam.

This link will prove to be very helpful for travelers/cruisers who travel around the world.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas