Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2024, 19:00   #16
D2D

Boat: Boatless for Now; former owner of a Robertson & Caine Leopard 47
Re: August Charter in the BVI's good idea or bad

Hello! It's 2024, and considering a sailing charter the 3rd week of August... wondering if the social/commercial scenes have changed at all in the USVI and BVI second half of August; are shops, restaurants, and bars still closed (til October) ?
D2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2024, 20:36   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2D View Post
Hello! It's 2024, and considering a sailing charter the 3rd week of August... wondering if the social/commercial scenes have changed at all in the USVI and BVI second half of August; are shops, restaurants, and bars still closed (til October) ?

Have you considered checking a few key websites yourself, like Sopers Hole and The Bitter End? Instead of asking others to do your work for you? That's what I would do if I was planning that trip which I've done almost half a dozen times...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2024, 04:31   #18
D2D

Boat: Boatless for Now; former owner of a Robertson & Caine Leopard 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Have you considered checking a few key websites yourself, like Sopers Hole and The Bitter End? Instead of asking others to do your work for you? That's what I would do if I was planning that trip which I've done almost half a dozen times...
Hi Stu. Of course I have, and I don't find much, if any, info on seasonal closures... I have emailed charter operators, marinas, etc.. in USVI/BVI and the Exumas (debating btw the 2 locations) ... radio silence...
So I was hoping for locals or live aboards/cruisers's info.

If you come in my area, the Cheseapake Bay, I don't need to do any online research to let you what's up
D2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2024, 03:36   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 57

The summer closures as well as the summer charter business has changed, with several places remaining open for most of the season and many closures are after August. I like the BVI in the off-season with emptier anchorages. For those who like to use mooring balls, there's no longer any need to use the Boatyball reservation system - just show up in the anchorage whenever you want and there will be space available.
For specific questions regarding the BVI the BVI Traveltalk Online Forum is a good place to visit and ask.
Old 13-06-2024, 08:57   #20

Boat: Caliber 28

I've chartered in August about 9 times in the BVI. Never had a problem with restaurants or anything else being closed. Maybe a little hotter, but the ocean will cool you and there will be less boats. I've also never had a problem finding a spot to stay the night in any anchorage/mooring field. I would recommend going!!
Rackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter