Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2018, 11:22   #1

Bahamas

We plan to leave in Guadeloupe in April and sail along Bahamas between May and June. Hopefully we will get to Florida by the end of June.

Is it a good time for this route? Looking at the guide book, it states that there are tropic storms between mid May and June in Bahamas. Now I am confused of it.

Any suggestions?
Aden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:04   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Bahamas

What is the confusion? Hurricane season starts officially on June 1. Out of season storms are possible any year. You can see some historical averages here https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/#bac
Do you have any insurance limits that might define where you go?
Old 10-03-2018, 12:13   #3

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

The Bahamas are one of the most common places for early season storms to develop. We have been coming to the Bahamas for 7 years and we've had three storms form here in late May. Fortunately they tend to move north before getting too intense. The strongest winds we have seen were about 50kts in squalls. Later in the season they form further out in the Atlantic and have time to build strength.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 16:04   #4

I know the hurriance season starting from June 1. That's why I want to get to USA in early June.. But then it seems that it is not a good time to sail there via Bahamas in late May based on the storm informarion. Some sailors told me that it was fine sailing to Bahamas in May and June even July. Maybe we leave Bahamas before mid May? Any routes suggestions.
Old 10-03-2018, 16:18   #5

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

The Abacos Regatta takes place at the end of June and the stranded naked party is on July 4th... so yes still a lot of cruisers in the Bahamas at this time. But... named storms can come anytime.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:21   #6

Thanks for all reply.

Currently I don't have any books or guides or paper charts going to Bahamas. It seems difficult to find them in the chanderly shops as I am living aboard without delivery aaddress. Thinking of buying the e-books but it is much easier to read the hardcopy book n papers .how do you get your books and cruising stuff when you dont have the delivery address or no friends or crews coming to your boat.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:05   #7

Boat: temporarily boatless...

I always like to use this image when these types of questions come up. I think it says 1000 words or more...

This is for the entire Atlantic Basin.

So the probability is small, but there are no guarantees with the weather. You could go in March and get hit by a freak storm. As I know all too well, strong squalls can be as bad as hurricanes (albeit for a much shorter period), and they are much less predictable.

Overall, and living in this region, I wouldn't be overly concerned with your time frame, although I would try to tend towards the earlier part of it if possible, and always, always, have a hurricane plan.

Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:18   #8

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

The Explorer chart books are what to look for first. https://www.explorercharts.com, available on Amazon, etc.

There are also a couple of good guidebooks. I particularly like the cruising guides by Pavlidis.

Is there a marina somewhere ahead on your path that you can contact to see if they will accept delivery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aden View Post
Thanks for all reply.

Currently I don't have any books or guides or paper charts going to Bahamas. It seems difficult to find them in the chanderly shops as I am living aboard without delivery aaddress. Thinking of buying the e-books but it is much easier to read the hardcopy book n papers .how do you get your books and cruising stuff when you dont have the delivery address or no friends or crews coming to your boat.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas