Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2008, 10:04   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I anchored off the Big Game Club, and took the dinghy in. They wanted me to get a slip. I told them if they didn't want to check me in. I will just go to Nassau, because it's on the way. They took my money, and off I went,

Cat Cay told me over the radio $100 to tie up the dinghy. I went on to Nassau. I have anchored out in Nassau, and climbed the wall at customs to check in. I have taken slip in Nassau if family was flying in to meet me. All kinds of options are available.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:03   #17
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
Cat Cay told me over the radio $100 to tie up the dinghy.
Wow..Must be a hell of a nice dinghy dock.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:25   #18

We used to check in at Chub Cay. But this was years ago and I've heard that since the renovation/rebuild it is not so cruiser friendly - perhaps with required slip, etc. The other place we used was Green Turtle Cay after anchoring over night on the banks - but this was also several years ago. AFAIK, Green Turtle still lets you anchor out and it's a pretty cool place to spend a day or two. We didn't go to Bimini or West End because we weren't interested in spending much time in those waters.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 13:41   #19
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
CSY,

I guess you made the smart move, and just went on in, and did your business. For once I didn't follow the rule....it's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission...LOLOLOLOLOL
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 14:17   #20

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Unless you are going to stay in the area there is no advantage to checking in at Bimini or Cat. Most folks leaving from southern Florida are headed to the Exumas. If this is the case check in at Nassau. You can anchor and dink in to Customs or, if you're in a marina they will come to you. We have not checked in at Bimini since our first trip in 1990. (By the way it only cost $10 in those days and if I remember right that was for the fishing permit). At Nassau they always give you six months so you don't have to renew your immigration papers like in some smaller ports of entry where you only get three months. For the last seven years we've always checked in at Nassau. The charts are very good nowadays and we travel through the night on the banks. If it's a bit rough in the Tongue of the Ocean we hide behind Frazers Hog Cay in the Berrys for a day or two. If you're going to Nassau or further stopping at Bimini only lets the front catch up with you. Keep going and ride it to Nassau.
Old 08-12-2008, 15:09   #21

Boat: Irwin citation 40 "Southern Toy"
dont want to count but have gone to Bahamas since 1965,have never been hassled, but i come in under Q flag dock, and with the ships paper and crew pasports only the Captain goes to customs and imigration ,respect the proper rules and you will get respect also. Ole
olepedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2008, 21:02   #22

Boat: Spindrift (Starwind) 19, Catalina 22, Hobie 14, AMF Puffer 12
Any one check in at West End as of late... I read it was re-built a bit ago. If so what are the +'s or -'s..??
Thanks,
Larry C
Latitude42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 03:51   #23

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Checked in a West End a month ago. Was then buck a foot forty feet min. Ten bucks / day for water, mandatory. Electricity 20 bucks / day but optional. Free wi-fi, free bicycles, one free appetizer during happy hour, clean showers, free exercise room with TV, free cable at the slip. No anchoring our (Anchorage is fully open on the Western semicircle) so I don't really consider that an option. The people were very pleasant a nice change from 10 years ago when we were last there. Lots of realestate on the end being sold - well out of my price range.

Sat through two cold fronts there and left to pass s of memory. I was told that this month they were marking Indian Cay channel. Mostly here you can take 6' through there on 1/2 tide. With the wx like it is we didn't try it.

If you have any more specific quesitons feel free.
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas