Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2022, 07:32   #1

Bahamas covid restrictions

We are hoping to cruise to the Bahamas with our boat sometime within the next month. We are not vaccinated. I’ve done some research on their requirements which include a negative covid test 72 hours prior to arrival, a Travel Health Visa, testing again within 48 hours, testing again after 5 days, filling out a daily health questionnaire. Anybody with experience doing all this? Thanks.
Wind Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 07:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Bahamas covid restrictions

Visitors who do not complete a Bahamas Travel Health Visa and present either a valid proof of vaccination or COVID-19 RT-PCR Test with a negative result will be denied entry.

Effective 27 December, 2021, unvaccinated travellers, ages 12 and older, entering The Bahamas must obtain a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR Test (including PCR, NAA, NAAT, TMA or RNA) test taken no more than three days (72 hours) prior to the date of arrival.
As part of the Bahamas Travel Health Visa application, travellers will be required to opt in to the COVID-19 health insurance that covers them for the duration of their stay in The Bahamas, up to one (1) month. The cost of insurance is included in the Bahamas Travel Health Visa application fee.

Bahamas Travel Health Visa applications can take up to 48 hours to process and should be completed with adequate lead time.

The cost of the Bahamas Travel Health Visa is dependent on length of stay and vaccination status.

All visitors eighteen (18) years and older are required to complete an individual Bahamas Travel Health Visa application.

See ➥ https://www.bahamas.com/travelupdates

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 13:08   #3

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

We are in the Bahamas now and spent the last 2 winters here as well. The protocols change on a regular basis, but are fairly easy to meet. Just keep up to date as you start looking at crossing windows.
It is easier if you are vaccinated, but still doable for unvaccinated.
Testing has become commonplace for any travel, so readily available. The health visa is online and pretty easy. Followup Testing is also easy in most settlements. The online questionaire was 20 seconds to do each morning.
It's all very easy and well worth it! I spent the day snorkelling and walking on a sandy beach. Last nights dinner was fresh caught wahoo.
Hope you can make it!
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2022, 15:45   #4

I'm planning a trip across from SC to the Abacos next month.

This passage as planned makes it impossible to meet the 72 hour test window...meaning, we can't get a positive test in SC, submit for health visas and await a reply, and make it to the Bahamas in a 72 hour window.

I came across a potential waiver in the site liked below - - which seems to suggest if you remain offshore during the entire passage with no intermediate stops along the way, and get a rapid test upon arrival, the 72 hour rule is waived.

This sound right?

Anyone have experience doing this?

https://www.bahamasmarinas.com/procedures-and-protocols
kipwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2022, 15:57   #5

Here's the reference:

Emergency Powers (COVID 19 Pandemic) (No. 13) Order 2020 posted in Dec 1. Para 16. Travel Health Visa (6) which reads in part

... A person traveling to The Bahamas on a commercial or private vessel whose arrival in The Bahamas extends beyond the diagnostic test result, shall be granted a travel health visa upon application and permitted to enter the Bahamas provided the captain of that vessel can prove at their point of entry into The Bahamas that the vessel’s travel to The Bahamas was a direct one with no prior stops to any other ports of call....
Old 24-02-2022, 16:26   #6

Wind Buddy - we’ve been in the Bahamas since December and did not find the covid requirements difficult. We did not require a test 48 hours after entering the country, but rather only the test within 72 hours of entering and 5 days after arriving. Not saying things haven’t changed though. The woman at the clinic where we were tested at the 5 day point was very friendly and professional, and we had the results that evening via our cell phones.

The daily questionnaire was emailed and had 3 yes / no questions to be checked. If I remember they were:

Have you expeirenced any covid symptoms
Have you been exposed to anyone with covid
Will you continue to follow the covid requirements while in the Bahamas

The questionnaire was sent out for 14 days. I heard from other cruisers that they had forgotten to complete it a couple of times and never heard a thing from anyone. I did not find it to be a big deal and it became a bit of a contest each day to see who completed it first each day.

Do yourself a favor and take a picture of your health passport with your phone. You will need it for going through immigration, and depending on where the office is located in relationship to your boat, it can be a long walk back if you forget to bring it (don’t ask me how I know). They readily accept the picture. We were only asked to present the health passport once more since we have been here and that was at Highborne Cay. they are a private island and take pride in letting visitors know their rules are more restrictive than the government.

Hope this helps.
Buster Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2022, 17:00   #7

Yes thanks. That is helpful.

That said, the question for me is the 72 hour waiver for boats traveling direct without stops, per the reference above. It sounds like this is a new waiver.

I've sent some inquiries to the Bahamian health folks and will post what I find out.

But curious if anyone else has seen this waiver or taken advantage of it.
Old 24-02-2022, 17:55   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

I have found inquires to healthvisa@bahamas.com to be answered promptly. The 72-hour waiver might worth confirming. I have not seen anything official on this but seen it referenced many times.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 13:46   #9

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16
Bahamas covid restrictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
I have found inquires to healthvisa@bahamas.com to be answered promptly. The 72-hour waiver might worth confirming. I have not seen anything official on this but seen it referenced many times.
“provided they have obtained a BTHV and that the captain can prove at their point of entry that the vessel’s travel was a direct one with no prior stops at any other port of call.”

https://travel.gov.bs/file/termsAndConditions
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 16:37   #10

Keep in mind if you fly between islands while you're there you'll need to either show your vaccination card or a Covid test from within 3 days.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 17:19   #11

As Seen in a shop window in
Hopetown
In the Bahamas now
Certainly easier being Vaxed
Good Luck
Test within 72 hours of departure
Don’t stop Anywhere Before you check in
Retest again in 48 hours
That was it for us, however all crew are