Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2019, 09:26   #46

Boat: Sea Ray, 56 Sedan Bridge, 56ft
Re: BAHAMAS CRUISING PERMIT - PROPOSED CHANGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcapital View Post
The magnitude of the increases don't seem unreasonable - but for an annual fee it would seem more reasonable to allow multiple exits/entries. And, the annual cost in combination with this restriction would be a consideration in deciding whether to keep a boat there for a couple of seasons or a year. Not that the government is likely to listen....
That is the question I have not been able to find an answer to. What if I want to leave my boat in the Bahamas for a year (and pay the yearly fee), then I want to fly back to the US once a month (12 times)?

Is that allowed? How would that work?

Thanks in advance!
UFGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 09:30   #47

Boat: Sea Ray, 56 Sedan Bridge, 56ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Multi View Post
...the rich prop it up with another scheme to patch it together because they know if it all goes to hell in a handbasket they go down as well...
Oh yeah. That's because the rich are are the true evil in the world. Anyone that has worked hard and made good decisions in their life has to be evil. Anyone that is not rich has nothing to do with the world's problems...
UFGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 09:39   #48

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFGator View Post
That is the question I have not been able to find an answer to. What if I want to leave my boat in the Bahamas for a year (and pay the yearly fee), then I want to fly back to the US once a month (12 times)?

Is that allowed? How would that work?

Thanks in advance!
Yup; your visa expires on exit and you start over. The cruising permit at this point is for a year, but that's the boat and accessories, not the passengers.

In and out however many times you want, if the boat stays there, the clock keeps running; if it goes out early, the current version allows the vessel to return before 90 days have elapsed, with no additional charges. Visas start over; you still have to check in.
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 10:00   #49

Boat: Corsair F-31-UC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
The Bahamas increasing their cruising fees won't mean that cruisers will increase their cruising budget. It just means that money that was being spent in local businesses and marinas, will simply be re-directed to government coffers in Nassau.
Highly unlikely that these fees will change anything in most people's actions.

If you have a boat over 100 feet, you are not going to notice the increase in your budget, it will be a rounding error. If you stay less than 3 months on a boat less than 100 feet, there is no increase.

The only group it effects is the under 100 foot staying longer than 3 months. For a 35 foot boat staying a year, the increase is $150 for the year, or $12.50 per month. It is absurd to think the local economy will suffer from boaters having to spend an extra $12.50 per month.
Trimaran Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 11:53   #50

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimaran Ken View Post

If you have a boat over 100 feet, you are not going to notice the increase in your budget, it will be a rounding error. If you stay less than 3 months on a boat less than 100 feet, there is no increase.

The only group it effects is the under 100 foot staying longer than 3 months. For a 35 foot boat staying a year, the increase is $150 for the year, or $12.50 per month. It is absurd to think the local economy will suffer from boaters having to spend an extra $12.50 per month.
Yet folks will no doubt complain over $12.50 a month.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 12:00   #51

Boat: 53 foot wooden ketch

I only have a Albin Vega which is 27 feet. The increases for the cruising permit might be annoying but they are not game killers. I sail with a monthly budget and stay at marinas or anchor as my budget dictates. The same is true for eating onboard or going to restaurants.
The bottom line is I’ll still go but maybe spend a small amount less in the local economy
CaptBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 12:54   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, raymondrains

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 13:00   #53
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
Yet folks will no doubt complain over $12.50 a month.

Fair winds,
My time a couple years ago were among my least expensive cruising months. I'm sure a lot depends on where you hang out there. Except for Bimini that was always a weekend trip for fishing from miami I don't think the last round of increases resulted in cruisers staying away.

Just like when I was in the Navy, a bitching sailor is a happy sailor!
Old 23-08-2019, 13:10   #54

Boat: Somebody else's boat......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
... It just means that money that was being spent in local businesses and marinas, will simply be re-directed to government coffers in Nassau.
Working as intended.
Dan Mosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 13:49   #55

Boat: Little Harbor 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post

Strange categories. There is a HUGE difference between a 35 ft boat and a 100 foot yacht. They should go 0-40, 40-60, 60-100.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 05:05   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimaran Ken View Post

So, you think normal people just pull extra money out of their butt, when they need it, instead of adjusting their budget?
Old 27-08-2019, 06:45   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari38LH View Post
Strange categories. There is a HUGE difference between a 35 ft boat and a 100 foot yacht. They should go 0-40, 40-60, 60-100.
WHY!

Why does it cost any more for two people on 60 feet, 10 foot dinghy than for the same couple on 27 feet? Bigger dock if used but that charge is to the private marina operator. There is no additional cost to the Bahamas government. Put in perspective, why should we be subsidizing shorter boats? These foot rules additionally make customs officials into cashiers and boat measures.

We live aboard on a 1984 ketch we restored ourselves, retired, on anchor always. Last season we consumed 200 gallons of diesel and gasoline combined. This impact on the infrastructure is no different than most smaller boats. Small power boats put a much heavier hit on the system we ever could.

We see the similar nonsensical fees in the BVI. We and many other cruisers have quit going there due to high fees with no certainty or transparent fee structure. Each time we entered or departed the fee was different. ($40 to $210). One of our cruising friends asked to see the fee tables and was given 2 hours to leave the BVI. Their records are on copious pieces of paper filed who knows where, if or when. We checked in behind friends at Gun Creek Virgin Gorda three years ago. They paid €1 while we were charged €168.

In the Windward and leeward islands nobody cares how long your boat is. Check in at the French Islands is voluntary, €5 suggested donation. You check in typically at a computer kiosk at a chandlery, hit “print” and show your passport to the non-government clerk. Welcome to France, stay a while, have a good time.

Even in Michigan where we began our retirement, the state stopped per foot dock charges at state marinas. You pay for the dock you need no matter 45 or 55 feet. Small slips are one fixed price and larger slips cost more.

Roxy in Martinique. Say hello if you see us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B7CF2898-56E0-4E52-B409-9569DBBA0962.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	384.3 KB
ID:	198690  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 08:13   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

...can't wait for Cuba to open their doors to the cruising yachtie....although I'm sure there will be a cruising permit fee involved there as well....
...nonetheless, given the option, I predict that a lot of folks that used to go the B'mas will head to Cuba.

Nothing gets a politician's attention quicker than his/her wallet drying up!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 12:39   #59

Some seem to be looking at this incorrectly. If you spend 4 months sailing in the Bahamas (easy to do) on a 40' boat, it will cost you $150.00 every month you are there. And if you go to the Exumas to anchor without spending even one night at a marina or even on a mooring it could cost another $600.00 a month (land and Sea Park Anchoring fee) . AT ANCHOR! $750.00 plus a month to anchor out on a remote Bahama bank is way beyond reasonable. It's absurd. A four month visit now costs over $3000.00 for a 40' boat to anchor out in a huge part of the remote Exumas!
On what planet is that reasonable? And of course it's getting worse all the time.
Gee, I wonder why cruisers are now looking for other cruising grounds?
Doek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 13:17   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackedo View Post
Some seem to be looking at this incorrectly. If you spend 4 months sailing in the Bahamas (easy to do) on a 40' boat, it will cost you $150.00 every month you are there. And if you go to the Exumas to anchor without spending even one night at a marina or even on a mooring it could cost another $600.00 a month (land and Sea Park Anchoring fee) . AT ANCHOR! $750.00 plus a month to anchor out on a remote Bahama bank is way beyond reasonable. It's absurd. A four month visit now costs over $3000.00 for a 40' boat to anchor out in a huge part of the remote Exumas!
On what planet is that reasonable? And of course it's getting worse all the time.
Gee, I wonder why cruisers are now looking for other cruising grounds?
I humbly suggest St Martin (French side) to Grenada. Windwards and Leewards.

The prices are high where you note perhaps because Americans with money are willing to pay AND because sweet deals are cut with charter companies.

We depart Trinidad in November for our third season. Looking forward to tours with Jessie James at Members Only, Power Boats, Trinidad; Humming birds, Scarlet Ibis, Taste of Trini, street food, Pan Yards, boiling mud pots. Rain forests in Grenada, waterfalls, craft brewers, distillers. Diving in Cariacou, home made nutmeg ice cream, drum concerts at Lambi Queen. Dominica rain forest tours, diving with Fabian, street food, fresh market. Martinique’s 27 distilleries, diving, fresh markets, many chandlers, mountain hikes, Pelee volcano hike. Antigua world heritage sites, fabulous restaurants, mountain hikes, Sweet Tee’s booze infused ice cream drinks, craft brewer. Fabulous French bread and good cheap wines throughout the French Islands. Let’s dive for lions.

Notice there was no mention of beach bars and T shirt shops.

See you in the windwards and Leewards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10BF4818-6D3F-4313-84E5-20BED784944F.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	198758   Click image for larger version

Name:	0473D6E4-2E59-462A-9A1F-0D90D8084668.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	198759  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote