Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2008, 04:47   #16

Thanks for all your input. Key's huh? Well I do have a sister that has a home in south venice (gulf side). Have any of you sailed south west edge of florida (everglades) down around and into the keys? More do-able? Are there lots of deserted beaches and cays? Good anchorages?

Thanks
corkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 05:07   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
First there is the cost of entry for the Bahamas for such a short trip. If you think you can do 12mph that gives you plenty of time. What kind of sailboat has a 50hp outboard. A multi I presume?

Going down the ICW to Key West is a lot of fun, and lots of anchorages. Depth is always a concern the closer you get to Islamorada. Either way you choose get a gyuide, and you will still have lots of fun.

The stream will not so much affect your speed as direction. Unless the wind is on the nose. It usually takes us 6 hours from South Beach to Gun Cay. This June it took us 17 hours with 20-30 knots of wind out of the east.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 05:15   #18

Well, I'd probably do a route from Marco Island, down through the southwest coast (everglades) - anyone have any experience with this area? Also just south of Flamingo between the keys there appears to be many cays and shoals. Is this a nice area?
Old 13-08-2008, 05:48   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
F... If you think you can do 12mph that gives you plenty of time. What kind of sailboat has a 50hp outboard. A multi I presume?...
With the 60 horsepower outboard, the MacGregor 26 will go about 22 mph.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mac26.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	4676  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 05:54   #20

Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale
It sounds like you could use a couple of basic safety and navigation courses, which will answer lots of your own questions. Understanding the current, speed, and distance your traveling will tell you how long it takes to get there.

What kind of a boat are you on?

Then you need to invest in a good chart kit and cruising guide for the area you are going to.
Old 13-08-2008, 08:06   #21

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Maybe I missed it somewhere but did we ever know what kind of boat we are talking about? Or is it secret?

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 08:10   #22

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
Maybe I missed it somewhere but did we ever know what kind of boat we are talking about? Or is it secret?
Must be!

But for me, 7 days and the cost of the permit would make it a big NO-GO!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 08:25   #23

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
It's probably a MacGregor 26X or 26M. I just sold one, nice boat and more than capable of doing the crossing. Look into the MacGregor Sailors forum. They usually get together for crossings a couple of times a year and can provide the most information.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 08:35   #24
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
My neighbor on the tidal creek where we lived in Virginia took is daughter water skiing behind his Mac!
Old 13-08-2008, 10:17   #25

yes, macgregor 26.
Old 13-08-2008, 10:24   #26

Anyone going to Bimini 8/28/08 to 9/1/08? We have a house there with electric and water hook ups in exchange for a little fishing.
SMORROW1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 09:48   #27

Boat: Sunbeam, 37, Ziamar
I'll resuscitate this thread rather than start a new one. I'm revising plans for a crossing to the Bahamas and then some time in the Exumas and on down the Thorny Path. I have some flexibility in time. Right now I'm thinking of crossing from somewhere near Miami and spending a week or so in the Berries before Nassau to drop passengers off and reprovision. Any suggestions on:
1. The crossing and checking in. What about Miami to Cat Cay and checking in there? Or is Bimini preferable?
2. Crossing the Banks to the Berries. It sounds like North Rock is the best entrance to the banks. We draw almost 5 and a half feet.
3. Any special suggestions for anchorages, things to see, snorkeling, etc in the Berries.

I realize that I need Pavlidis' book and I'll get it this week. But there are usually folks on here with pretty useful information.

Thanks
Bill
Bill_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 11:21   #28

I've crossed the banks with 6.5 feet draft before and no issues, Just put it on autopilot and went. Bimini is an easy check in although when I was there you pretty much had to dock for the night. The channel going in was pretty dicey with 6.5 feet draft. I waited for a partner boat to go through and tell me his depth readings. Time your exit from Bimini as early as possible if you want to make it through Northwest Channel ( I think I have that name right) before dark after you cross the banks.. I pushed hard once and just made it through during the last vestiges of light. The other option is to just keep going after crossing the Gulfstream and cross the banks. The you can check in after you get through NW channel. FOrget the name of that stop, but someone else will know. I actually liked this plan better, but it's a timing thing. If you can get to North Rock just after daybreak it works great.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas