Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2017, 14:27   #1

Bahamas Firearms- Acceptable Locking Solutions

Yes I know I'm new and this is a hot topic, but I have a legitimate question that I cant seem to find an answer to elsewhere. This thread is not to debate if one should carry a firearm in the Bahamas or not (their own government says its ok), but to discuss the specifics which they don't seem to clarify.

Here it is. What locking solutions are considered acceptable for larger guns or shotguns? It is my understanding that even an AR-15 is allowed and I'm considering bring it along.

I have read through many other forms and cant seem to find this specific answer.
eliandjen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 15-12-2017, 07:17   #2

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33
Re: Bahamas Firearms- Acceptable Locking Solutions

If I'm not mistaken, it says that firearms must remain on the boat and be at all times under lock and key. The simplest solution would be to keep it in a locked cabinet or closet. Your other option would be a trigger lock or a cable lock.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 15-12-2017, 09:42   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I expect that like most officials, they will be happiest if you exceed the requirements. So, at the least a trigger lock (not that they do much) and then the gun and ammunition should be stored in a locked and "bondable" compartment, i.e. something that can be locked and have a government bond (plastic or leaded seal tie) placed across it to show it has not been opened. Even if it is not required there, some places require all ammunition to be in factory cartons, so again, officials may be happier to see it kept that way.

Your own home country (not mentioned) may of course also want to see the serial number declared on your exit and re-entry papers.

You might want to send a letter to the appropriate authorities, detailing how you plan to store and secure the weapon (and ammunition) and ask if that is sufficient to meet their requirements. If they reply, then keep the printed reply copied and stored there as well, so that if there is any question during entry, you can always show them the official response.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 15-12-2017, 10:35   #4

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37
Bahamas Firearms- Acceptable Locking Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliandjen View Post
It is my understanding that even an AR-15 is allowed and I'm considering bring it along.

Keep in mind the salt air environment is really hard on guns. If you bring them either make them stainless or regularly oil them.

I cruise with my SS .44 mag pistol for bear protection here in Alaska and even that needs to be oiled a couple times a year.

I leave my blued guns at home. The boat life is too hard on them for long term.
Excalibur5 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 15-12-2017, 13:03   #5

Do you think a Glock would be ok along with maybe a Mossburg 88? Both in moisture proof bags and moisture absorbers?

Someone asked, I'm from the USA specifically Oklahoma.

Thanks all for the great suggestions!
Old 15-12-2017, 14:04   #6

I would read the Bahamas gun act (available online) but also realize that rules in the Bahamas are frequently interpreted inconsistently by different local officers. Sometimes to make a point. The answers you get on this board may or may not be right on every island.

The Bahamas considers gun running a serious problem and anti-gun running laws have serious jail time. They don't seem to care much about you having a gun - just don't look like you might leave it in the Bahamas including having it mysteriously stolen. Trigger locks aren't the kind of locks they care about.

The enforcement revolves around making sure you leave with the same guns (and bullets) that you came in with. They will usually count your bullets. Be ready to account for any missing.

You will attract extra attention and questions from officials if you seem to have more guns or bigger guns than seems necessary since it suggests you may really be a gun runner. I know a cruiser who was taken off his boat and jailed for 24 hours on suspicion of gun trafficking. Fortunately, it got sorted out before things escalated even farther.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 15-12-2017, 16:05   #7

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliandjen View Post
Do you think a Glock would be ok along with maybe a Mossburg 88? Both in moisture proof bags ?

It would help, especially if you coat them with a light coat of grease.

But then, I have to ask what the point would be. They would take up space, are targets for theft, and are not readily accessible if you need them, to say nothing of the regulatory hassles.

Your call, of course--but when I head to Mexico in a year all the firearms are staying at home. The hassle is not worth the benefit in my book.

An air horn, baseball bat, and maybe canister of bear spray will likely be just as effective.
Excalibur5 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 15-12-2017, 16:10   #8

Me, I don't care, and I agree about the hassle, but I've got 4 kids and a wife to keep safe. I'll would do anything for them.
Old 15-12-2017, 16:13   #9

Boat: Tartan 37

Max 3 guns and 250 rounds and when they ask they better all be there.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 15-12-2017, 16:29   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Too many and they’re all for sale

Simple lock and key suffice from 2nd band info. Someone who’s boat I was on changed their hanging locket into a gun locker with a simple key locking mechanism and was totally fine

Feel free to ask me about actual full service brokerage for only 7% with Knot 10 Yacht Sales - find me on our crew page, Spencer Kent
FutureStories is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 15-12-2017, 17:14   #11

Boat: Various

I've seen more people have issues with ammunition than guns. Obviously you must leave with the same guns you arrived with but the same goes for ammunition. Make sure you count accurately and have someone else double count it to be safe. You report 50 rounds and you get ready to leave and only have 48 rounds and you won't be leaving as planned. Some agents take even one missing round very seriously.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 16-12-2017, 09:51   #12

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

We use the Pellican 1700 series cases with customizable foam inserts on the boat for storing [and transporting- airline approved...] a combination of long and short firearms here in Alaska.

They can be locked, are waterproof, and can be used for transporting/shipping firearms and ammo as well.

Toss in some dessicant and your hardware and ammo stay pristeen.

This type of case satisfies Canadian requirements so it will likely suit other governments as well.

Cheers! Bill
Old 16-12-2017, 11:50   #13

I wonder if not being attached physically to would bother them? Because I was even thinking something as simple as an ammo box with a locking latch.

Tags
Bahamas