Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2017, 11:49   #1

Boat: Tayana 58 DS
Bahamas itinerary, help sought

For the past several years, we have cruised the eastern Caribbean in the winter and then bring the boat up to New England for the summer. One place we'd like to visit that we haven't is the Bahamas. I know there are hundreds of islands spread across hundreds of thousands of square miles of sea and that we could spend years exploring and still not see it all. Still, we have to start somewhere, and this crew only has limited time.

I would appreciate your experience and input in crafting an itinerary with the following parameters:

* The boat is a monohull with an 8' draft -- plenty of fuel and fresh water, but the depth will likely limit the anchorages we visit.
* We have a 12'RIB w/ 25hp outboard, so if we have to dinghy a few miles across relatively flat water, that is not a problem.
* I intend to depart the USVI approx 6 April with a passaging crew.
* I will need to change crew at the starting point (Georgetown?) approximately 14 April. Somewhere easily accessible by flights from the US east coast is desireable.
* We will have 8-9 days, during which time the crew would like to hike, snorkel, enjoy the beach, and experience the Bahamas. I understand that this isn't much time, but it is all that some of the crew has.
* One of the crew has requested that we anchor near a resort for a couple of nights where they can stay shoreside if desired and avail themselves of spa facilities.
* Another of the crew is a good cook and all of those onboard would benefit from getting him fresh provisions to cook with.
* Two of the crew are not avid sailors and prefer sails on protected waters and for only a few hours a day.
* On or about 22 April, I will change crew again and will need to provision and top off the fuel-tanks for the sail straight to New England.
* Ideally the itinerary would have a few days of padding so we don't have to get crew to an airport in a hurry.

How reasonable is it to cruise the Exumas with an 8' draft? Is Georgetown the right place to start/stop/change-crew/provision or would Providenciales, T&C be a better choice for the starting point? (closer to USVI, and potentially downwind the whole 8-9 days, but we'd lose time with formalities). Can you suggest an 8-9 day itinerary that satisfies the objectives (snorkel, hike, beach, cook, resort, spa) and won't feel rushed? Would I be better off just taking them to the BVI (again) and not bothering with the Bahamas until we have more time there?

FYI, I have the Pavlidis Exuma guide and intend to get the Explorer charts. I'm hoping your experience can provide advice more tailored to our constraints.

Thanks in advance for your help with this. Of all the problems one might face, I recognize that this is a good one to have.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 14:45   #2

Re: Bahamas itinerary, help sought

Boat Harbor Marina has large yacht clients and adjacent resort in Marsh Harbor, Abacos, intl airport, famous mermaid reef, out-islands to dingy to on a calm day or by cheap ferries

San Salvador has a resort that you can anchor off-shore, protected from the ocean but exposed to the west, maybe you can get into the marina a few miles south, intl airport, groceries maybe lacking compared to Marsh
cptcptcpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:09   #3

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

I cruised the Exumas this past winter in a boat with a 6.5' draft. I had no issues, but you will have to pick your spots and be very diligent when navigating your boat. You may be doing a lot of fueling using your dinghy and jerry cans, as many fuel docks don't have enough depth for you to approach.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:26   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Georgetown would meet all your various crew requirements. Lots of spots to explore with your dink and a couple of nice spots up the Exumas chain for day sails. And it would not be too difficult for your deep draft. Good flight connections and provisioning.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:28   #5

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Hope you have a good depth sounder, I can't tell you how many times we have grounded with a four foot draft, in places that were charted to have six or eight feet of water.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:11   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Georgetown would meet all your various crew requirements. Lots of spots to explore with your dink and a couple of nice spots up the Exumas chain for day sails. And it would not be too difficult for your deep draft. Good flight connections and provisioning.
Thanks.

With 8' draft, <40-50 miles/day, where (up the Exumas) would you suggest we go?
Old 01-09-2017, 09:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
Hope you have a good depth sounder, I can't tell you how many times we have grounded with a four foot draft, in places that were charted to have six or eight feet of water.
This scares me. I know some people are experienced and comfortable sailing in thin water. For me, sailing in < 20' puts me on edge.

Are the groundings soft groundings where you can power off, or wait for the tide to lift you off? Or do the currents drive you farther aground?
Old 01-09-2017, 09:30   #8

Hmmm....if < 20 ft. depth is scary, maybe should skip the T&C and Bahamas, and instead spend the time in the Spanish Virgins, south coasts of Puerto Rico, the DR, Haiti (Ile a Vache is supposed to be special), maybe Jamaica... Read Frank Virgintino's books & articles on these areas. Going north thru the Windward Passage might not be so much fun, though - but with a good sized, deep draft monohull, especially if she's good upwind - in April - might not be so bad.

Or, for the Bahamas, skip the Exumas and go up the more eastern side, where at least all the inter-island passages are in deep water. There's fewer harbors but still plenty that's interesting to fill the time you have.
wcapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
This scares me. I know some people are experienced and comfortable sailing in thin water. For me, sailing in < 20' puts me on edge.

Are the groundings soft groundings where you can power off, or wait for the tide to lift you off? Or do the currents drive you farther aground?
Don't let it scare you. 99.9% of groundings are in sand. And the beauty of the Bahamas is that you can read the water. In most cases the bottom does not come up fast. If you plan, pay attention to your depth sounder, and study the Explorer Charts you'll be fine. In most cases if you run aground there will be no current as groundings usually happen when you're looking for a spot to anchor. The strong current is in the "cuts" where you go from the Sound to the Bank and if you study your chart you'll pick the cuts with good depth and shoot straight through. The tidal range in the Exumas is about three to four feet but the current in the cuts which are narrow can run to 3 or 4 knots.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:48   #10

Heard the exumas marina is not protected and vessels are required to anchor nearby when the wind comes up, is this true?
cptcptcpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:59   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcptcpt View Post
Heard the exumas marina is not protected and vessels are required to anchor nearby when the wind comes up, is this true?
The only marina in the Exumas that is untenable in a westerly blow is the Staniel Cay Yacht Club. All the others (there aren't that many, about 6 or 7 ) are fine.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:13   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
Thanks.

With 8' draft, <40-50 miles/day, where (up the Exumas) would you suggest we go?
From GT going north there are a few spots that you can get into easily and some that might take a bit of care. I like Glass Cay about 15 miles north but it might be a bit skinny once you get in. The next spot would be Adderly Cut. I really like Black Point ( a real Bahamian settlement) and going in at Dotham Cut is easy and deep. You can also go in at Farmers Cay but there is only one good anchoring spot in there and I would not take a mooring (plenty in Farmers) unless I checked it. Cave Cay cut is also good.

If you are returning to GT I would go from GT to Dotham Cut and explore Black Point and surrounding area. Best bet is to get your Explorer Chart out and have a look. That and Pavlidis' guide should do you well.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:19   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcapital View Post
Hmmm....if < 20 ft. depth is scary, maybe should skip the T&C and Bahamas, and instead spend the time in the Spanish Virgins, south coasts of Puerto Rico, the DR, Haiti (Ile a Vache is supposed to be special), maybe Jamaica... Read Frank Virgintino's books & articles on these areas. Going north thru the Windward Passage might not be so much fun, though - but with a good sized, deep draft monohull, especially if she's good upwind - in April - might not be so bad.

Or, for the Bahamas, skip the Exumas and go up the more eastern side, where at least all the inter-island passages are in deep water. There's fewer harbors but still plenty that's interesting to fill the time you have.
Interesting ideas, thanks. I think that might be the way to go. We've done the Spanish Virgins before several times (Culebra is one of our favorites). We haven't done the south coast of PR or any of DR yet. I was a bit concerned about DR in the past -- I've heard stories of cruisers being shaken down by "authorities." Is that fear overblown?

The boat is good upwind; the crew, not always
Old 01-09-2017, 15:04   #14

I spent a week in Georgetown on a weather hold. I found it to be kind of a dump. You can get provisioning but I suggest anchoring at Stocking Island Island, a short tender ride to Georgetown. Compass Cay, Staniel Cay, and Highbourne Cay are must stops IMO. Cruising Guide to Exumas can give you more details.
i just mad
e the trip from St Petersburg Fl to St Thomas so this info is current. George G
ggordon1250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:02   #15

Boat: Pearson

put a responsible person on your bow to pick your way through tight or iffy places. train their eyes to point to the best channel, train to turn to the helm to talk, work out hand signals, do not allow them to point or respond to unnecessary things of intrest, they are your eyes, and will see things before your depth finder does.

Tags
Bahamas