Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2021, 11:19   #31

Re: Bahamas verse Caribbean

So the reason cruising is so appealing to my wife and I is the diversity and changing of scenery and experiences. I absolutely think the Caribbean is worth the trip next year when Covid is hopefully in the rearview mirror for the most part. If you really want a culturally amazing experience how about hopping across the the Med and Scandinavia for a couple seasons after a couple in the Caribbean? Having goals and something to look forward helps a ton.

Admittedly sitting in one spot week after week, month after month on a boat isn't ideal and anybody would get tired of it. Throw in some spicy weather and some crap breaking and the whole thing seems like a bad idea. Now I'll say this though, Covid fatigue for everybody is a real thing. It can be depressing, even if you are in paradise. There are brighter days ahead just stay safe and healthy!
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 12:27   #32

Boat: Seaward 22

One consideration, if you can do it financially,....In the caribbean, you can have her fly ahead to the next destination. I love the island diversity of the caribbean. go 20-50 miles and it is a different country, and maybe a different language.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:31   #33
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Is the caribbean experience over the Bahamas worth the crappy crossing parts? I want to go, but worry all i will get is “We went through that crap just for this!”
I am going to try for more responses from thos that been to both.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:55   #34

Quote:
I've been to both. The problem is that without knowing what you didn't like in the Bahamas it's impossible to know if the Caribbean will be worth the trip for you and provide you any advice. Posters here have pretty clearly highlighted the differences between the two areas and I would have to agree, but you seem to be disappointed in what seems to be to be very solid and reasonable replies that pretty much comprehensively sum up the differences between the two areas. I'm afraid you'll continue to be disappointed until you are able to articulate exactly what you're asking for or looking for.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:56   #35

Quote:
Having been to both, I'm going to revise my answer and say you should skip the Caribbean and just head straight for the South Pacific. Caribbean is great, with amazing sailing and gorgeous topography and interesting culture, vastly different than the Bahama experience...but honestly it does not hold a candle to French Polynesia and the South Pacific, the gap is large. This is the place you need to visit before you die.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:10   #36
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
I've been to both. The problem is that without knowing what you didn't like in the Bahamas it's impossible to know if the Caribbean will be worth the trip for you and provide you any advice. Posters here have pretty clearly highlighted the differences between the two areas and I would have to agree, but you seem to be disappointed in what seems to be to be very solid and reasonable replies that pretty much comprehensively sum up the differences between the two areas. I'm afraid you'll continue to be disappointed until you are able to articulate exactly what you're asking for or looking for.
Definitely disappointed in replies like yours that more interested in trashing me. You had a chance to say what you liked between the two, but no .....
Old 01-04-2021, 08:33   #37

Quote:
I've done both a couple of times. Not sure I have anything new to add. But beyond the Bahamas can give you more cultural experiences, more dining experiences etc.
The water and nature are far better in the Bahamas IMO, you can find pretty isolated spots if you want. But there are hikes to the volcano etc in the Caribe too. It's harder to find good snorkeling in the rest of the Caribe, but it's out there.
There is more crime, more theft etc in some parts of the Caribe, but it's the type you can just mark up to experience, most of the time.
Trinidad is a fun cultural experience; music and E. Indian influenced food. Just be home by dark. I love the outdoor cafes in the French Islands. Carnival with a Mardi Gras atmosphere is observed in some islands.

Passages are minimal....Overnighters only:
-Crossing the Gulf Stream
-Crossing from the Bahamas to the DR.
-Crossing from the DR to Puerto Rico
-Crossing from Grenada to Trinidad.

That's pretty much it.
It didn't sound like Redneckrob was "trashing you" to me. Just pointing out you get what you ask for. Details detail details. What do you both like? what dont youboth like.. etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:36   #38

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We've done the Marathon, Bahamas, DR, Pr, USVI, Grenada path. We loved each for their own qualities. One big difference is cost. The Dominican Republic has the lowest costs of all. Cruising the DR can be a hassle as you have to check in and out of each port. Puerto Rico is a bit more expensive and has 11% sales tax. Both DR and PR have very friendly people and there was usually an English speaker nearby.

The USVIs are our home base. Pre-COVID it was a trivial to hop to the Spanish Virgins, BVIs, Anguilla, or St. Martin/Sint Maarten. St. Bart's is another hop. Prices are generally 30% higher than the continental US, but only about 10% higher

I wrote a blog post on the cost subject with more information - https://dinghylife.wordpress.com/201...irgin-islands/

Yeah, we have had crappy days on the water. Current and wind against us, the Admiral going from pissed off to scared and shut down as we go into a familiar crowded anchorage in the dark. It's all about how you feel about the journey.

Given that, we had mostly easy passages from the Bahamas to the DR and Puerto Rico. We went from Crooked Island to Great Inagua; that was our worst passage to date and we were a little beat up when we arrived late at Great Inagua and dropped anchor in Man o' War Bay after sunset. The next morning we woke to a beautiful scene with great water, sandy spots, coral, conch and fish. We moved over to Mathewtown to see the sights and checkout.

From Great Inagua we set out for Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic. It was an easy 200nm under motor. Moving to Puerto Rico, we sailed the scary Mona Passage on a beautiful day. The passages we were most worried about were wonderful with good weather.

I wrote the journey up on our blog. Sailorboy, you might see something there that answers some of your questions. https://dinghylife.wordpress.com

I have not finished writing our tale of heading to Grenada last summer with COVID protocols. It was a straight 400nm sail from St. Croix. The Admiral did fine, but was anxious about squalls at night. You can see the squalls further off than the 24nm range of the radar. Lots of cognitive dissonance. Coming back we had to make another straight shot. The Admiral is at the point where I need to do the midnight-6AM watch and be ready to pop up on the 9PM-midnight watch if conditions change.

The thing about the Caribbean we love are the cultures that you find a day's sail away. When COVID protocols lift we look forward to island hopping. We're hoping protocols to relax come June. As it is now, the least cost path is still a direct shot from the USVIs to Grenada. Sint Mararten has no quarantine. The other islands have varies protoclols, most effectively seven days. Some countries are honoring some version of the CARICOM travel bubble, meaning you can spend 21 days in low risk countries and be able to travel to other low risk countries. The bubble is some mix of Antigua & Barbuda, Anguilla, Dominica, Grenada, Montserrat, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Vincent & The Grenadines - sometimes BVIs. The least cost island hopping trip to get to Grenada for this hurricane season per current Noonsite data looks to be:
- Sint Maarten - COVID test
- Antigua - COVID test, 1-14 days quarantine
- Dominica - 2 COVID tests, 5 day quarantine, +day 6 waiting COVID test
- St. Lucia - COVID test, 14 day quarantine, no quarantine if in Antigua and Dominica for 21 day
- Grenada - 2 COVID tests, up to 7-day quarantine, credit for sea time

...talking to the Admiral, she says skip St. Lucia and do an overnight to Tyrrel Bay, Carriacou to start the Grenada quarantine earlier.

- Sint Maarten - COVID test
- Antigua - COVID test, 1-14 days quarantine
- Dominica - 2 COVID tests, 5 day quarantine, +day 6 waiting COVID test
- St. Lucia - COVID test, 14 day quarantine, no quarantine if in Antigua and Dominica for 21 days
- St. Vincent & Grenadines - Pre-arrival COVID test, 2 COVID tests, 10-day quarantine if stopping in St. Lucia, 5-day quarantine if arriving from Antigua and present for 21 days, no quarantine if arriving from Dominica and present for 21 days
- Grenada - 2 COVID tests, up to 7-day quarantine, credit for sea time

The French islands are closed. St. Kitts & Nevis have 14-day quarantine + sea time and no bubble countries.

If this looks a painful hassle, skip the Caribbean until the COVID protocols are gone or some kind of vaccine passport is accepted.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:24   #39

Boat: Bateau FS17

Quote:
Really sucks for me sometimes. Just took this while sitting in the cockpit having a rum and coke.

Perhaps I am reading you wrong, but sounds like perhaps life isn't so rough after all?

I'll trade you a week or two "vacation" if you want

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210321_094610.jpg
Views:	985
Size:	408.5 KB
ID:	235646   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210324_173139.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	419.6 KB
ID:	235647  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210325_063258.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	414.7 KB
ID:	235648  
Narfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:29   #40

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

You'll love the Caribbean. 1000nmi into the wind will really make you appreciate landfall. Let us know how it goes.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:45   #41

Boat: Leopard 45

Having spent months in both locals it's difficult to say which I prefer. There are so many islands in close proximity in the Bahamas that you don't have to do much cruising between them. The Caribbean gives you bigger islands further apart with more diversity. Snorkeling is great both locations with better diving in the Caribbean. Of course the Bahamas has easier access to the US mainland being a quick hop from Florida. Once in the Caribbean you are a short day sail away from the next large island and culture. There is very little elevation in the Bahamas so I guess it might be safer anchoring in a storm in the more well protected islands of the Caribbean with their higher elevation to block the wind.
It's all good though and I plan to spend time each year in both locations.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:43   #42
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfi View Post
Perhaps I am reading you wrong, but sounds like perhaps life isn't so rough after all?

]
It isn't and i didn't say it was, ever if believing I did is what it took to get some people's typing fingers excited.

Embrace the suck of cruising

Because

My life is better than your vacation
Old 01-04-2021, 15:58   #43

For what it’s worth

Weather
Eastern Carib is in the trade winds. Winds in season will be Easterly. Generally moderate and sailable with the exception of enhanced periods particularly late Dec through Feb., referred to as the Christmas winds. Pick your inter island travel days.
No rotating winds from fronts as in Bahamas. So if you’re in a good anchorage, no need to leave tomorrow. Rarely, you will get westerlies but usually lighter.

Anchorages
Will generally be deeper, no reversing currents, can be rolly particularly at times of North swell which is well forecast. No more or less busy but popular spots can be filled with mooring balls putting anchorers inside or outside the field.

Sailing
After you’re past St Martin it’s close to broad reaches limited beats and runs depending how you pick your destinations. Fast daysails, long and short, sometimes overnighters if you like them to arrive in daylight.

Marinas
Good quality marinas, expensive but reasonable by Florida standards. lots of boats will spend a month or more at a single marina, exploring, doing boat jobs,

Provisioning
Each island (in general) is a new country, except USVI or BVI. Groceries and beverages vary in quality and prices. Same as home, bigger towns have more selection.

Costs
Intermittent cruising but averages have been $100 US per day plus any boat upgrades or major repairs for two of us.
While marinas are fair value the biggest expense at the marina is lunch, cocktail hour with friends, dinner out etc.
knotnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 17:20   #44

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I take it that its food you're after. Conch sucks in the Bahamas but there is a lot better to chose from in the Caribbean. Plus diversity.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:42   #45

Boat: Carver 560 Voyager

As far as the "crappy crossing parts" go, if you want to explore the Caribbean I recommend you buy and read Bruce Van Sant's book "A Gentleman's Guide to Passages South," which explains how to choose the right routes and weather and eliminate that concern. Smooth sailing makes all the difference and keeps the wife happy. I wish I had read it before crossing the Mona Passage for the first time!

Tags
Bahamas, Caribbean, rib