Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 19:14   #1

Bahamian Courtesy Flags

still planning my trip from ct to galveston; i am thinking i might be better off tacking SE to bahamas and then cutting across the gulf stream when weather permits. my question is, with all the U.S. traffic to the Bahamas is it still customary to fly your quarintine flag and the bahamian flag upon entry? or can someone tell me the customary procedures nowadays
jyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 19:42   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: bahamian courtesy flags

You still have to do all the entry procedures. More so since 9/11.
You used to just have a drivers license to enter.

Unless you are planning on visiting the Keys, you might want to look at the Okeechobee Waterway unless you're just wanting to have fun. Your rig is short enough to make it and there's some nivce secluded anchorages on the west coast.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:00   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: bahamian courtesy flags

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung View Post
still planning my trip from ct to galveston; i am thinking i might be better off tacking SE to bahamas and then cutting across the gulf stream when weather permits. my question is, with all the U.S. traffic to the Bahamas is it still customary to fly your quarintine flag and the bahamian flag upon entry? or can someone tell me the customary procedures nowadays
You fly the Q-Flag until you check in. You then fly the Courtesy Flag of the host country as an indication that you have checked in. You do not fly both together.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:53   #4

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran
Re: Bahamian Courtesy Flags

You should also be prepared to pay the Bahamian entry fee. It's $150 if you are under 35 feet, and $300 35 feet and above. They really want cash for this, definitely not credit cards and they don't even want travelers checks.

Check noonsite.com for up to date information on other fees, etc.

Entlie
Sailing Catamaran Sunspot Baby
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:01   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entlie View Post
You should also be prepared to pay the Bahamian entry fee. It's $150 if you are under 35 feet, and $300 35 feet and above. They really want cash for this, definitely not credit cards and they don't even want travelers checks.

Check noonsite.com for up to date information on other fees, etc.

Entlie
I understand that this entry fee is valid for 6mth. Does that mean that it is valid for multiple entry during the 6 mth validity?
Old 12-04-2011, 07:37   #6

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran

Bahamas entry regulations have recently changed. Here is the link so you can get the information straight from them.
Procedures For Entering The Bahamas - Bahamas | The Bahamas

Entlie
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:55   #7

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

There are a few small things where what I've experienced is just a bit different than what they state on their site:

1. They say customs and immigration will come to the boat. I've found more often, I need to go to the custom's & immigration office. (West End, Walker's and Green Turtle anyways)

2. They state that for a one-way ticket to be acceptable the captain must be present and must have a valid cruising permit. The reality is I've had many people fly in and join me without me being there and they have never had their lack of return ticket questioned.

3. The cruising permit is not the only limitation on length of stay. So is the visa. Just because they issue a 1-year cruising permit, does not mean you will be issued a visa for the same length of time.

None of these things are big things and I can't speak to how any will be enforced for other people or in the future - just pointing out a few differences I've seen.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:37   #8

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
2. They state that for a one-way ticket to be acceptable the captain must be present and must have a valid cruising permit. The reality is I've had many people fly in and join me without me being there and they have never had their lack of return ticket questioned.
In Sweden, UK, Portugal, Azores, Bahamas, and BVI I've sent copies of inbound paperwork (generally a cruising permit), ship's document, and a letter taking responsibility for crew flying in to crew to carry with them. Never been a problem with C&I in any of those places.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 15:47   #9

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36

Speaking of Bahamian flags, what's the difference between the regular flag and the courtesy ("red ensign")? Not the difference in appearance, but rather the use. Why are some courtesy flags for some countries ensigns with the flag in the corner and just the regular flag for others? I've never really understood the difference and when one (a guest in the country) would fly the regular flag rather than the ensign.
Old 12-04-2011, 16:09   #10

Boat: Finnsailer 38

You're supposed to fly the ensign of the country you're visiting when on a yacht. Sometimes people ignore this and fly the country flag, which I think most folks in most countries wouldn't balk at, if they even noticed. Here's a quote from waypoints.com:
Quote:
Courtesy flags are usually Civil Ensigns—not the national flag of the country. Not every country has a civil ensign. However, most former British colonies do; it is usually the red variant of the flag. It’s considered a horrible breach of etiquette to fly the blue national flag. So, if the flag that we catalog doesn’t look exactly like the national flag that you remember, it’s probably a civil ensign.
Old 16-04-2011, 19:40   #11

I do not know what the Bahamian flag looks like but i searched for courtesy flags and ordered them as such. i got a Bahamas and an quarintine. I searched many companies and found them to be in the $20-$35 range. finally finding them at "Landfall Navigation", i purchesed both w/shipping for $28.50 total.
jyoung is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
courtesy flags, flags