Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2022, 07:50   #1

Bareboat & tipping

By & large, this group has been pretty gentle with my total newbie questions, so, here goes....

We're chartering next month in the USVI (41' Beneteau Oceanis out of Compass Point in St Thomas / Dream Yacht Charter). As a first-timer, DYC has insisted that I have a one-day check-out with one of their skippers (which I welcome--beyond whatever he wants to see insofar as me operating the boat goes, I plan on ruthlessly interrogating him about the local area!) We're to pay at the marina for the captain's services (versus everything else which has been paid up front)--I assume this relates to that captain being independent of the charter operation.

In any case: what is the custom for tipping on a bareboat in the USVI? Assuming of course that I'm happy with the services provided: who & how much?
  • Checkout skipper?
  • Person who reviews the boat with me (assuming a different person than the skipper)?
  • Other charterer staff?
  • Delivery of provisions, if we go that route?
  • Fuel dock?
  • Et cetera--I will undoubtedly be encountering more service providers on this trip, who am I potentially forgetting?

As I say: please be gentle....

PS: I did do a search. The only thread I found (which I thought would be) on-point is this one: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ng-262166.html ; it quickly devolved into a debate on the merits of tipping in general (which is not my question).
Jughead135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 08:46   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono
Re: Bareboat & tipping

Thanks for asking what the LOCAL custom is, and for asking that this thread not be hijacked by folks making judgements on how businesses should pay their staff, what tipping customs are in other industries or parts of the world. I am sure some of the usual suspects will make their opinions known, but hopefully, they will actually read your whole post and understand what you are actually asking!

My perspective is, until my retirement a couple years ago, that of a crewed charter boat owner operator in the BVI, also operating in the USVI, for seventeen years. As such, I was both on the receiving end, and the giving end (dockhands, provisioners, fuel docks, etc.), so I understand the expectations.

NO one in this industry is overpaid, and, to some extent, all depend partly on tips. Even including owner operators! Any tip will be gratefully accepted. But, specifically:

- Checkout Skipper: 15-20% would be appropriate for a good experience. If you feel he, or she, goes the extra mile (instruction, etc,) you might go above that.

- Person who reviews the boat: not necessary

- Other charter staff: dockhands who help you dock or get off the dock will appreciate $5-$10. People who deliver things to your boat, or act somewhat like bellhops in a hotel, the same. When you finish your charter, leave $20 for the cleaning crew who will come after you.

- Provisions: depending upon how much stuff you bought and they are bringing, $10-$20.

- Fuel dock - They will also be helping you dock and leave, so about $10.

- Et Cetera - It is a US based, vacation dependent economy, and as such, other foks like taxi drivers (yes, I know their fares are exorbitant, but so are their expenses) will appreciate a gratuity.

Having said all this, it is important to remember that the final decision on a gratuity is up to the guest. It is for a service, well rendered. If someone goes above and beyond, then a larger tip may be appropriate. And, I have never been shy NOT to tip someone whose service is substandard, or who is rude or surly, etc.

So, normal tip for normal service. Less, or nothing, for inadequate or no service. More for excellence.

I hope you have a wonderful trip, as well you should!

And thanks, for doing your research.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 09:07   #3

From another former charter captain/sailing instructor: Exactly what contrail says.

As we have moved around to different countries, we always offer a gratuity. In some places it is politely refused. We put it back in out pocket, and take that as our clue to local culture.

Nobody (on the receiving end) will ever hate you for offering, even if they refuse. The only people who will hate you for offering a tip are those who never want to tip anybody, anywhere, for any reason. Them I don't care about.

When working for a large sailing school/charter company in California I developed a rule about Americans and tipping. You put a pin on a map in Central Park Manhattan, and measure from there. The further from that pin the customer lived, the LESS likely a tip was. Lived in Manhattan? 100% tip rate. Chicago? ~50%. LA or SF? 0.0%
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 12:02   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post

- Checkout Skipper: 15-20% would be appropriate for a good experience. If you feel he, or she, goes the extra mile (instruction, etc,) you might go above that.
I agree on all accounts, but just for clarification, 15-20% of what exactly for the check out skipper?

For reference my last bareboat was $13k total cost (extended trip in the BVI's) and I spent the better part of an hour total with chart briefing and boat walk through, plus another 30 minutes or so when we handed back the keys. I gave this particular gentleman $200, now I'm wondering if I was off base?

Thanks for your input!
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 12:46   #5

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

If you are paying the checkout skipper separately and directly then I would assume they get all of that as income. Tipping on top of that would make sense if they did something above and beyond. If they simply take you through the motions on their checklist - not so much.

Contrail nailed the rest with good suggestions.
Old 12-10-2022, 13:27   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkircating View Post
I agree on all accounts, but just for clarification, 15-20% of what exactly for the check out skipper?

For reference my last bareboat was $13k total cost (extended trip in the BVI's) and I spent the better part of an hour total with chart briefing and boat walk through, plus another 30 minutes or so when we handed back the keys. I gave this particular gentleman $200, now I'm wondering if I was off base?

Thanks for your input!

In my earlier reply, I may have misunderstood and misled. When I suggested a tip for the "Check out skipper", I meant the captain that is assigned to be aboard for the first day or so, and the percentage would apply to his or her fee.

I did not mean the person who shows you the boat, the charts, etc, etc. as I would not have called that person a "skipper", although he or she may actually be one, filling a different role. Sorry for the confusion.....I am assuming we are not talking about someone who actually sails with the guests.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2022, 10:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
In my earlier reply, I may have misunderstood and misled. When I suggested a tip for the "Check out skipper", I meant the captain that is assigned to be aboard for the first day or so, and the percentage would apply to his or her fee.

That’s correct, and I understood your answer as such.

Thanks, contrail & ItDepends, for the insights. Looking forward to this trip!!
Jughead135 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, boat