Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2022, 11:55   #31

Boat: Hunter 33 "Cherubini" (1982)
Re: Bareboat sailing charter in BVI, what to do, what to skip?

Just got back from our trip. Thanks again everyone for suggestions. Here is what we did...

Day 0 (not counting as official day): Arrived at Scrub Island Resort and got on our boat by 5:00pm. Dinner at Donovan's Reef there.

Day 1: Sailed over to the Baths at VG and then after we were done enjoying that went up to Leverick bay for BoatyBall mooring and dinner at Leverick bay resort.

Day 2: Decided to skip Anegada (leave it for next time) and sailed down to Cane Garden Bay. Had a great day on the beach there enjoying our first Painkillers which were excellent (can't remember the name but we sat at beach lounge chairs and ordered the drinks from a place on the far right side of the cove (if facing it from water). Had dinner at Bananakeet restaurant which was excellent (got this tip from Sailing Doodles youtubers), you have to take a taxi there but worth it and especially if you can schedule for sunset (we were a bit late for that but still a great spot and great food).

Day 3: Sailed across over towards Jost Van Dyke but stopped first at Sandy Cay (another Sailing Doodles suggestion) for a "private" beach and snorkeling experience. Then got our boatyball mooring at Great Harbor at Jost and took cab ride over to Soggy Dollar Bar for some Painkillers, Lady Killers and a Bone Crusher. Got pretty wasted from that lol but a good time.

Day 4: Sailed from Jost back to other side over to Norman Island (the Bight Bay), grabbed a mooring there (there were lots available, not a boatyball island), we moored right up close to the cliffs on far north east side of cove. Took dinghy over to "The Caves" and had nice time snorkeling there. Then over to Willy T's to check that out (a bit loud for us lol, not too busy though), back to our boat for dinner on boat.

Day 5: Woke up at Norman and used our paddle boards around the Bight Bay, and also had some decent snorkeling there right near where our boat was. Then headed out and stopped at "The Indians" for a bit more snorkeling and exploration and then motored / sailed up to Peter Island and dropped anchor in Deadman's Bay which is a beautiful day spot and only one other boat there. They are still rebuilding the resort there so probably won't be empty like this in the future, but great sandy beach there which we enjoyed. Then after our beach time, went up to Cooper Island to grab our bb mooring for the night and made dinner on boat again. Cooper Island mooring was the most exposed and rolly of our experience, the others were all great and very protected.

Day 6: Went ashore at Cooper and shopped at the store there for gifts. Great looking resort they have, but we didn't spend time there (but thought about it). Sailed/motored back up to Virgin Gorda to gas up our boat (as required by charter company) at Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor / Spanish Town. Then sailed up Virgin Gorda (wind was more directly east that day) and back into Leverick Bay area but this time went over to the east side and grabbed a free mooring just outside Saba Rock/Bitter End. Beautiful spot, and seems like there is good anchoring nearby as well. Had a great lunch over at the super chill Saba Rock, did a bit of swimming off the boat. Stopped over at Bitter End just to check it out, also seemed like a place I'd like to spend more time. Since we were leaving next day though we decided not to stay and to get back to our home base so we don't have to deal with it on last morning, so motored back (to beat the light) to Scrub Island and had dinner again at Donovan's reef.

Next day: travel day, back to US

That was it, had a great time. Great weather in general. I would say weather wise I would maybe wish for 20-30% fewer clouds (generally clouds were fine, puffy cumulous ones, and not in the way but sometimes went over the sun mostly later in day for bit). There were a few showers but it didn't really impact us and those were short lived with sun coming out afterwards. Maybe the water could be 3-4 degrees F warmer, but was still pretty great. Dream yacht charter company seemed pretty good, no issues, they could do a bit more hand holding leading up to the trip and on first day arrival at base but overall good company and would use them again.
paulg222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 13:04   #32

We really appreciate your report. Glad you had a good time.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2022, 17:28   #33

Boat: Beneteau 324

My group is doing a 10 day charter starting the beginning of May. The women would like to some laundry mid trip. Any suggestions for Spanish Bay or Leverick bay? The last notes I had read said the facilities at Leverick were closed due to an ongoing remodel. Any help is appreciated.
keioki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2022, 18:13   #34

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by keioki View Post
My group is doing a 10 day charter starting the beginning of May. The women would like to some laundry mid trip. Any suggestions for Spanish Bay or Leverick bay? The last notes I had read said the facilities at Leverick were closed due to an ongoing remodel. Any help is appreciated.
Pre-Irma there was a laundry in the mini mall a short walk from the marina at Spanish Harbor. Not sure of its current status.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2022, 18:19   #35

Thanks, I'll check into that.
Old 16-03-2022, 23:06   #36

Boat: Jeanneau 57

There is a laundry at Leverick Bay with several machines
Old 17-03-2022, 04:01   #37

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
There is a laundry at Leverick Bay with several machines
If there is one in Leverick, I would definitely go there over Spanish Town. Leverick is a nice bay with a decent restaurant and a fun bar (though the entertainment is not my taste). Spanish Town is a bit more pedestrian. ST is better if you need a few provisions and they used to have a decent chandlery. But not much of a vacation spot.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2022, 07:00   #38

The shower and laundry facilities at Leverick Bay are closed for the foreseeable future as they perform a remodel of their store.
Old 17-03-2022, 23:16   #39

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Keioki - I was there about a year ago and it looked like the construction was pretty advanced, so I jumped the gun and assumed that the laundry, showers & store would be re-opened by now. How recent is your information?
Old 18-03-2022, 06:23   #40

I got an email from them yesterday. It appears the only laundry facilities I could find on Virgin Gorda was at the Virgin Gorda Harbor Marina in Spanish Town.

Tags
bareboat, boat, BVI, charter, sail, sailing