Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2012, 06:45   #1

Baton Rouge/New Orleans area to St. Croix

My wife and I are noobs to sailing, so this isn't in any *immediate* plans. Hell, I doubt my old Catalina 27 would make the trip, even if we were competent sailors. I consider it my 'training boat', and I consider neither it nor my wife and I as capable of such a blue water journey.

We sail in Lake Maurepas right now. Will venture through Pass Manchac into Lake Ponchartrain. Then later, Lake Borgne. Then even later, the Gulf of Mexico.

Once we feel the training is complete, we're gonna get a bigger boat. At some point in our life, my wife and I wanna try to sail from the mouth of the Tickfaw River in Lake Maurepas, Louisiana, to Christiansted Harbor, St. Croix, USVI.

I'd like to hear thoughts/cautions/discussion on the idea of this journey...
AirMedMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 13:31   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Baton Rouge/New Orleans area to St. Croix

Just to clarify, is it your intent to sail directly from the TickFaw to St. Croix (as worded)?

If so, you will miss an awful lot of great cruising ground...much of it very near to your present location.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 04:29   #3

I'm planning on enjoying that cruising ground while I'm training for the eventual sail down island. As I said, we are new to sailing, and this plan is a long term goal, not something I plan to do until I know I'm ready.
In the meantime, I plan to enjoy learning to sail in this good cruising area in Maurepas and Ponchartrain and the Gulf.
Old 21-11-2012, 10:57   #4

That's what I assumed, but you never know....so thought I would confirm.

Great cruising ground in your area. Mississippi Sound, Mobile Bay, Pensacola Bay... You can do short hops all the way into the panhandle of FL.

Last time I passed that way, quite a few years ago now, I did relatively short runs (starting in Texas) all the way to Pensacola. You can work your way a bit further east if you want before jumping off for Western FL, but the run from Pensacola to the West Coast of FL is not bad...especially if you wait for weather and get the wind a bit northerly.

You could also run direct for the Dry Tortugas or Key West, but then you would miss the West coast of FL -- which I highly recommend cruising (although I have not lived there since all the flap about anchoring restrictions). This area is also a great cruising ground...all the way from Tarpon Springs down to the Keys.

For more detail from there see if you can find a copy of "Gentleman's Guide to Passages South" by Bruce Van Sant. I think it is out of print, buy maybe you can find a used one. This is the definitive guide to "painlessly" working your way down the islands of the Eastern Carib.
Old 22-11-2012, 07:52   #5

I definitely appreciate the insight! How long has it been since you were sailing up this way? If I recall correctly, you're from Mississippi, yes?
Old 24-11-2012, 08:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMedMech View Post
I definitely appreciate the insight! How long has it been since you were sailing up this way? If I recall correctly, you're from Mississippi, yes?

It's been a while. Last time in that area was around 2004. So, I don't know current marina/ICW info, but the coast has not changed much.

Yes, originally from Miss.