Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2022, 12:47   #1

Boat: Hunter 38
Batteries (consomation)

Hello from Québec Canada
Am I right in assuming that my watermaker drawing 50 amps will deplete my 200 amp/h reserve out of four 100 AH batteries of 1/4 of its power if I run it during one hour. I can only use half of what the batteries are rated for.
Secondly, I produce 30 amps with 260W solar and one (éolienne) LVM 6 aerogen providing there is wind and sun. Will I replenish my batteries fast enough?
ppjoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:56   #2

Boat: CT 48
Re: Batteries (consomation)

This might be better asked in Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar.

Short answer, if you're drawing 50 amps per hour, but replenishing at 30, you're running a 20 amp deficit- that said, if you run for 1-2 hours, you'll be recharged in 2-4, assuming consistent charge rate, and no other electrical loads.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:14   #3

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

You didn't mention what type of batteries you have but I'm assuming lead-acid. If not lead-acid disregard. Each 100AH battery is based on a 20 hour discharge rate. So in your case 5A for each battery or 20A for the bank. According to Puekert's law, when you draw more than 20A your battery bank's capacity shrinks from its rating of 400AH. You can calculate this reduction in capacity if you have the technical datasheet for your batteries and google Puekert's Law. My guess is that your capacity at that draw would be low 300's AH.

If you're getting 30A from a 260W solar panel and a wind vane good on you but I wouldn't count on that production on a steady basis. That sounds like optimal production into a very discharged, low resistance bank.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 15:14   #4

Boat: Hunter 38

Thank you for the info. This boat is new to us. Our batteries are gel and last summer the aerogen was not producing anything, I have replaced the brushes and bearings, now producing, but also considering adding a solar panel. My Blue Sky IPN indicates imediate output but not total, I will remedy this after I have the batteries verified for future lifespan.
ppjoly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries