Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 18:57   #31

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskadog View Post
The main thing to remember is do not try to push your luck by coming thru if there are big seas. I know that high is a relative term but given the low power of most auxilliary engines on sailboats one should not try to make the pass if you can not keep control of the boat. Remember the dog leg to port. Seas from the east over 5 or 6 feet may be too much to handle for many boats. The tendency is that the strong current coming in on high easterly seas will push you toward the drying patch reef. The prevailing trade winds during the winter are out of the east or southeast and it is not unusual for seas to run high for several days.
I went in there in 2004 and there was a really nice (Hans Christian, I think) boat hard up on the patch reef to starboard (north side). The cut, as I remember it, was big but at an angle from SE to NW. Is it still like that? We're hoping to get back down the end of next summer (just in time for hurricane season--great!)
Old 04-11-2008, 01:31   #32

Boat: Beneteau 311 - Banyan
Hello KennyOuse

I know just what you mean about Christmas in the Seychelles - never again! From all that I have read I believe you can expect between 2 and 4 inches of rain across the whole month of May, but most of it falls at night I believe.
BanyanBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:18   #33

Boat: Sadler34 10.6 metres
Will it rain?

Hey Babe

I guess it all depends on when the 2-4 inches falls; all in one day (or night) or spread out evenly over the month.

Does anyone have any previous rainfall charts for Belize in May?

I think I need to read more of my Cap'n Freya so I can make more informed comments.

I think Starfish was commenting on passing through the reef to the East of Belize which would take too much time out of a 10 day cruise as well as being somewhat hazardous in less than ideal weather. There are no doubt plenty of interesting places to visit nearer to the mainland and more relaxing to boot.

6.5 months to go - I can't wait

Kenny
KennyOuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 15:44   #34

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
We went from San Pedro, south. As far as we went was South Water Cay. We had a bunch of college students on board, and it was during a summer college class at the University there (tiny). Our kids, and their kids had a GREAT time for the 2 days we stayed. They let us watch the first game of the NBA Finals there (we're from San Antonio, and the Spurs are the ONLY game in town). She'll remember us. She gave me a T shirt - she'd been holding for JUST the right person for several years. It says "There's no ice in paradise".
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 13:59   #35

Hello Bill

Thanks for the advice, sounds like a great place to spend some time. We're starting from Placencia so South Water Cay is north about 25 NM so definitely do-able.

Did you pass through the reef and out to Glovers Reef? That looks like a good place to visit.

Getting some contradictory information on rainfall in May, some say 2-4 inches and some say none. It looks quite a bit wetter in June in Cap'n Rauscher's book.

Are you planning on another trip to Belize?

Kenny
Old 05-11-2008, 17:13   #36

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU
Kenny - May is as good as it gets in Belize. Go to Wunderground.com for historical weather statistics for virtually any location.

Weather Station History : Weather Underground
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:59   #37

Thanks for that JamuJo, Wunderground looks really good and very reassuring from a rain and wind point of view. I was wondering whether we would have enough wind to sail, but as we will be going N/S and the wind is predominantly E at about 10 knots we should get the main up once or twice - not always been the case in my experience of chartering!
Old 06-11-2008, 03:19   #38

Hi KennyOuse

If I recall, Glovers Reef is outside the Barrier Reef - JamuJoe kindly responded to my similar request about the Blue Hole and said this area is definitely out of bounds to Moorings clients! (Sorry I don't know how to include his respones here) Sorry to disappoint!
Old 06-11-2008, 14:11   #39

Thanks for that Jo I'll check it out. The babe is correct in that Glovers Reef is outside the barrier reef but only just and nothing like the distance out to Blue Hole so probably within easy reach with the help of local skipper.

If we only have 10kts of breeze I guess we'll need all the sails we can muster to make our big cat go even on a nice reach - a good job we have some strapping crew members to haul it up!
Old 11-11-2008, 14:04   #40

Sadly we are not visiting until May - 6 months 3 days and counting - but I'd like to have all options covered.

Is the Rio Dulce worth a 3 day detour from our 10 day charter from Placencia?
Old 17-11-2008, 07:09   #41

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU
pirate Rio Dulce

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanyanBabe View Post
Sadly we are not visiting until May - 6 months 3 days and counting - but I'd like to have all options covered.

Is the Rio Dulce worth a 3 day detour from our 10 day charter from Placencia?
Rio Dulce is definately worth a visit, the trip up the Gorge is stunning, but I would want at least five days to do it for the first time out of Placencia. You would have the delays of clearing in and out of Guatemala and Belize each way. Should you decide to go, I suggest monitoring the Chisme Vindicator, riodulcechisme.com - Home, to keep abreast of events and security concerns. Because of the possibility of theft or even boardings (there was a tragic murder earlier this year), most cruisers in the Rio strongly advise against anchoring out. There are many secure marinas near Fronteras where you should find an overnight berth. During our five years of chartering in Belize, we never made it to the Rio until we phased out our charter yacht JAMU. There is so much to enjoy in Belize.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 08:29   #42

Rio Dulce

Many thanks for that JamuJoe. The six of us are meeting up this week to discuss things like this and your advice will certainly help us make some of the more marginal decisions. I did happen across the other forum you mentioned and there was some excellent stuff there sent by ThatchCay who also contributes to this site.

26 weeks to go!!
Old 03-01-2009, 21:08   #43

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
Redbull addict, KennyOuse, and Banyan Babe,

NOT TO MISS: Laughing Bird Cay
In July 2005 my wife and I, along with two other couples and two offspring, chartered an Athena (38 foot cat) from TMM in San Pedro for a 10 day cruise. Our plan was to sail down the archipelago to Placencia, refuel and reprovision there, then sail back up the chain visiting the places we really liked or that we missed on the way down. Our plan held through the second day of our trip north when a hurricane took aim at Belize and TMM told us not to go any further north until they gave us permission. The track of the storm finally veered north, sparing us a direct hit. While we were "hanging out", at the recommendation of TMM we spent some time at Laughing Bird Cay and fell in love with the place. It is one of their national parks and marine preserves so the aquatic life provides splendid snorkeling. We spent hours snorkeling around one large coral head on the west side of the cay.

PLACENCIA PLACE OF INTEREST:
Wendy's Restaurant (no link to Dave Thomas) serves substantial portions for very reasonable prices and the daily specials are usually great. Our impressions from five years ago were confirmed as still valid by another cruiser within the past two weeks.

BanyanBabe, If this is your first time to Belize I strongly recommend you forget a Blue Hole dive and the Rio Dulce trip. You would be much better off spending your valuable vacation time enjoying places inside the reef. There are so many! We have heard mixed reviews about the diving at the Blue Hole, but have not yet had the opportunity to dive it ourselves. Too bad personal commitments preclude us from staying in Belize until May or we might be able to arrange a rendezvous (older son getting married on May 30 - how inconsiderate of him!). Unless there is a hurricane or tropical storm to upset the trade winds, you will be pleasantly surprised at the consistent winds for sailing.

If any of you prospective Belize cruisers have any specific questions, feel free to PM me or posting to this thread.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 00:42   #44

I'm doing a bareboat charter from TMM in San Pedro next week, and I figured you folks might be able to help with some questions that I had.

I've heard Belize anchorages can be quite buggy. Any advice on avoiding getting lots of mosquitos at night? Is anchoring a few hundred yards off the beach going to help? Should I avoid the mangrove islands in favor of smaller palm cayes?

Any favorite places to eat out on the various cayes -- such as St George's, Tobacco Caye, S. Water Caye?

Any favorite places for snorkelling or exploring? We will be leaving from San Pedro and sailing south inside the barrier reef for a 7 day charter.

Thanks Y'all!

Martin
Sparohok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:31   #45

Thanks for that Dreaming Yachtsman, all things considered, I think you're right; Blue Hole and Rio Dulce are a little ambitious for our shortish stay. This is sort of our first trip to Belize: we stayed for one night in Sept 07 but Hurricane Felix had other plans for us! Laughing Bird Cay will certainly be on our list of sites to visit, and I hope that going in May we will avoid the tropical storms and hurricanes that seem to love Belize so much! I'll be interested to see the responses to Sparohok - we've bought mosquito nets to use on the boat, just in case! I'll make a note about Wendy's, we are planning a provisioning tip to the Market in Placencia on Sunday morning and it might be a good place for breakfast!

Thanks again for all your advice, and good luck with the wedding plans and big day.

Tags
Belize