Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2023, 07:46   #1

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28
Bermuda telecommuting / coffee shops?

Wondering if anyone has advice on their favorite place to telecommute around St. George's - IE: reliable internet fast enough for the occasional zoom meeting, power outlets, don't mind you hanging around all day for a few days in a row, decent lunch & coffee...

Interested to hear people's experiences and favorites!
Vengeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 18:55   #2

Boat: B423
Re: Bermuda telecommuting / coffee shops?

It looks like things have changed in Bermuda a lot in the last 5 years. I hadn't been there in awhile and was going to relay my experience with terrible connections.

Anyway good luck finding a nice spot. At least you'll know the infrastructure is in place.

https://www.royalgazette.com/other/b...peed-rankings/
clamshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 19:27   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Was there a few months ago. The Wharf restaurant in St George has internet and a nice place to hang.
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 20:45   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeful View Post
reliable internet fast enough for the occasional zoom meeting, power outlets, don't mind you hanging around all day for a few days in a row
Your requirements are show stoppers. There is free WiFi in the unprotected town square but it can be noisy. The restaurants which have WiFi do not cater to individuals looking for a remote office. Perhaps arrangements could be made but times are hard in St. George’s and it will not come cheap.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 05:33   #5

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Have a look at Star link on the boat. We have a consistent 90 meg plus.
Yes there is an initial outlay and monthly charge, but add up how much you would spend on coffees and meals in cafes over a month.
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 19:15   #6

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28

Thank you for the feedback, everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Your requirements are show stoppers. There is free WiFi in the unprotected town square but it can be noisy. The restaurants which have WiFi do not cater to individuals looking for a remote office. Perhaps arrangements could be made but times are hard in St. George’s and it will not come cheap.
Jim, appreciate the info. Noisy is just fine, the “meetings” are generally informal, just a way to look at some stuff on a screen with people.
I don’t want to offend anyone by setting up in a restaurant where it is unwelcome, though. I appreciate this insight.

Can you elaborate on times being hard in St George’s? I’d like to be culturally sensitive to this, but I’m not aware of the situation. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Was there a few months ago. The Wharf restaurant in St George has internet and a nice place to hang.

I’ve been hearing this a lot - seems like everyone loves their starllink. At the moment the boat’s solar and batteries can’t really support this kind of use, but in the future it will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajayne View Post
Have a look at Star link on the boat. We have a consistent 90 meg plus.
Yes there is an initial outlay and monthly charge, but add up how much you would spend on coffees and meals in cafes over a month.
Vengeful is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda