Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 04:41   #1

Boat: MacGregor65- s/vSunsets
Best Anchorages During North Swells in Vi & BVI

Would like to spend Monday night in Leinster Bay but there's a strong front coming through and North Swell advisories. Is Leinster Bay on St. John protected enough?
s/v Sunsets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 14:23   #2

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Yes if you get tucked in there far enough. The outer moorings near Waterlemon can be more exposed.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:38   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Best Anchorages During North Swells in Vi & BVI

I'm currently anchored in Diamond Cay/Long Bay between Jost and Little Jost and that is quite protected, I can see the big breakers hitting Sandy Cay and Sandy Spit and even those on Tortola.

Apart from this new find : Trellis Bay is quite protected, The Bight on Norman is as well. The North Sound of Virgin Gorda allows several places to choose from depending on the exact swell direction. I haven't been in Mahoe Bay in the USVI during a north swell, but think that there, too, one would be well sheltered (plus it is also very pretty).
Old 12-02-2013, 05:45   #4

Boat: 1977 shannon 38 cutter

Tuck as far in north and east at Francis Bay St John. Not Maho! The bight has good protection, but hard to find an anchor spot in all the moorings
starchaser 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:48   #5

Nice hike from Francis bay to Lienster if thats where you what to be.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:58   #6

I just realized that we are all answering a day late - so where were you last night and how was it? Windguru said 3.5meter @ 8 seconds from the NE and that is what it did look like out there.
Old 15-02-2013, 09:58   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 50 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to BojanglesIV

I agree with Zanshin... Trellis, The Bight, and North Sound VG are all good in a north swell.

Also, White Bay on Jost is really nice in a north swell (anchor on the west side by Soggy Dollar). It's crowded during the day with all the party boats, but they clear out by late afternoon so there's lots of room. Plus, you're only in about 10 feet of water, so you don't need a ton of swing room.

Also, another White Bay (on the south side of Peter Island) is a good protected anchorage - and almost always really quiet. You can anchor off the beach with no problem.

Starchaser mentioned that it's hard to anchor in the Bight due to all the moorings. Go right up to the front of the mooring field (by the newly renovated Pirate's Bight) and there's room to the north of Pirate's Bight's dock and also over by the concrete dock. We've anchored there many, many times.

(ALSO, when at the Bight, snorkel along from the concrete dock toward the Willy T. It's some of the best, easy snorkeling in the BVI. Way better than either the Indians or the caves, imo. Barracudas, tarpons, rays, conch, and a huge variety of colourful reef fish. Although when the mooring field is really full, the water does get a bit cloudy... ewwww)

Cheers,
Colin
BojanglesIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 13:59   #8

Agreed there are spots up by Pirates,but they are at a premium. See lots of boats there anchored way closer to moorings than I want to be. I have a secret spot I use, but a team of horses could not drag it out of me! Okay, if you can make me believe you are on a cruise down there and not on a charter boat PM me and I'll give it up
Old 15-02-2013, 14:45   #9

I've been backwinded at the concrete dock at Pirates before; if that might happen due to wind direction then deploying a kedge anchor can prevent some damage to that concrete dock by your boat

I anchored in Bight last night - as you enter the Bight stick to port and you'll get good holding in 20 feet close to the rocks, about 100 feet before you get to the first mooring balls.

Tags
anchor, anchorages