Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2021, 10:00   #1

Best convenient dockage keys

Rented a lagoon 40 powercat for 5 days out of Stock Harbor. Tough to find good itinerary information and specifics. Any recommendations on can’t miss snorkeling sites and places to anchor/marinas would be great. I have the Waterway Guide but any other reference or advice would be helpful.

Thanks.
ckelly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:57   #2

Re: Best convenient dockage keys

Looking at a number of sources, there doesn't seem to any marinas or mooring areas between Stock Island and Marathon that can handle a 40 foot Cat. Looked at Little Palm, but we are sailing with a 15 and 16 year old and they don't allow anyone under 18 (plus it's $800 per night !).

New to the area and we are relatively new cruisers so a little intimated by spending the night out on the hook.

Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 12-02-2021, 06:51   #3

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

You could go to the Dry Tortugas Park. Otherwise there aren’t many places to go around there. Key West is a destination, not a jumping off point, unless you are going to Cuba. And the attraction is the town, not the local cruising. What does the charter company suggest as an itinerary?
There are a number of dive boats offering snorkeling day trips, so there are places to go for a swim close to town. Maybe you could call up a dive shop and tell them your situation?
Can you get your deposit back and book elsewhere?
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
You could go to the Dry Tortugas Park. Otherwise there aren’t many places to go around there. Key West is a destination, not a jumping off point, unless you are going to Cuba. And the attraction is the town, not the local cruising. What does the charter company suggest as an itinerary?
There are a number of dive boats offering snorkeling day trips, so there are places to go for a swim close to town. Maybe you could call up a dive shop and tell them your situation?
Can you get your deposit back and book elsewhere?
I'm within 60 days so I can't get my deposit back. Been wanting to see the Keys for a while now so that's OK.

It's only a 4 night charter and I did find enough to keep us busy during the day. Just not finding the type of moorings/marinas we would find in the BVIs for the evening. Our typical trip involves hitting a snorkel site during the day, tying up to a mooring ball at night, and dinghying over for some dinner (and drinks of course). We may need to adjust our expectations in the lower keys.

We would like to snorkle Sandy Key but it seems to be a bit of an outlier unless we sail on to Boca Grande or the Marquesas. Then doubling back to Looe Key, which is about a 38 mile leg. We do have a powercat, but that is a lot of motoring. Double that for the Tortugas. I think those islands would be an interesting trip if we wanted to just get away from it all and live on the boat for 5 days, but not sure if that is what I want.

Tags
dock