Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2020, 08:24   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Best/Good/Interesting Places to Go/Stop At on US East Coast

I've done the trip up and down from Florida to Maine....it's hard to beat the Chesapeake Bay....good sailing....tons to see....lotsa history....great people.....delicious crabs...1,000's of anchorages.....friendly marina's...etc..etc....and lotsa sailors there....bound to make quite a few friends..
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 08:46   #62

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Our favorites are St Augustine, Fernandina, Savannah, Charleston, both Beauforts, Georgetown, Oriental, Williamsburg-Jamestown-Yorktown, Cape Charles, Annapolis.
Old 14-12-2020, 08:50   #63

Boat: Jeanneau 490
Send a message via Yahoo to rilie1

So, I’ll answer this for the Chesapeake Bay region where we do most of our sailing. I’ll list some our favorite stops from south to north, I know the Bay is a safe way to make your way north so hopefully this will help. I’m a history buff so many of these locations have historical appeal. I’ve also intentionally omitted Annapolis, that’s where we’re based and there is so much going on there that you must stop and you need more info than this one post. And I know I’m missing a ton, these are just highlights for us.

If anyone making this trip needs advice contact me, I'm no expert but always willing to give an opinion!

Elizabeth City, NC – Nice town, city bulkhead docking, close to the southern end of Dismal Swamp Canal

Dismal Swamp Canal – Great trip, really should do it if you can, fascinating history, bit crazy watching your spreaders knocking seed pods from tree branches!

Norfolk, VA – Lots to see and do, museums and restaurants everywhere, nothing like sailing past rows of Navy warships

Yorktown, VA – History, history, oh and scenic. Nice marinas across the York River, not a convenient place to anchor though.

Cape Charles, VA – Very nice state run marina here, nice restaurants, not a lot to do, but great place to stop on a north or south trip. Has some railroad history if you look for it.

Mobjack Bay, VA – Good anchorage area headed north or south. You can tuck into some nice areas and see almost no civilization, almost always see dolphins and other wildlife here.

Tangier and Smith Island – Must visit place! Lots of history and interesting little museums, disappearing cultures and islands. We took the ferry from Crisfield but I know some people get slips at the island, be aware though the approaches are tougher in sailboats.

Crisfield, VA – Nice stop, a bit of an industrial water front, great seafood restaurants, snug habor safe from any direction wind

St Mary’s, MD – Nice safe anchorage, you can dock your dinghy at St. Mary’s University sail dock and walk around, lots of history at the dig sites for the first Catholic settlement in the English North American colonies.

Oxford, MD – Cool little town, nice marinas and quiet anchorages nearby. A few restaurants and of course history! This was the site of the first Customs station in the United States, all shipping coming into the Chesapeake had to stop here.

Corsica River – By far our favorite quiet, out of the way anchorage. And if you want some history, at the mouth of the Corsica where it joins the Chester River is the old Soviet/Russian R&R facility for the DC Embassy, it’s a huge brick mansion you can’t miss it.

Magothy River – West shore anchorage just north of the Bay Bridge, a few miles north of Annapolis. If you want to skip the bustle of Annapolis this is good place to anchor with a few spots depending on wind direction. Dobbins Island is good if winds are from the south, otherwise tuck in further to the Horse Farm anchorage with great protection and lovely views of the horses

Rock Hall, MD – Lots of marinas and restaurants, busy all summer but nice place, great town to walk around.

Baltimore – Inner harbor is fun to visit, tons of historical type things to do and you can eat til you can’t walk back to the dinghy, if you want to stay at a marina I’d go Fells Point area, a little bit cheaper and still a lot to do.

Hart Miller Island – Man-made island that offers pretty good protection (though if it’s going to be a hard blow don’t rely on this, I’d move up one of the nearby rivers). On weekends it turns into a mess of small powerboats, but it’s great on week nights. Interesting to walk the beaches and see how islands are constructed from dredging spoils.
rilie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 09:21   #64

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

I believe lobster season in Nova Scotia goes only to the end of June. At least it did last time we were there in 2014.
KenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 09:22   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I kind of what to go to NS. But dodging the lobster pots in Maine gets so old and I bet NS is the same. So right now I don't think I will go north of Portland ME.

Other than that I am going to try to not comment on places (but so far have been to all but 1)
No pots to speak of in NS during boating season, very unlike ME
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 09:52   #66

Probably the second oldest historic spot in the US is Damariscotta Island just offshore of the river by the same name. Tiny hole in the wall harbor with a narrow entrance. Was a fish camp back to the days of the the earliest Europeans in North America. Pilgrims in Plymouth went here to procure fish during their starving times. Whole island is now in Nature Conservancy. Very easy to visualize it attractivness to the fishermen.
thlamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 10:21   #67
Marine Service Provider

I spent an entire season cruising in the Chesapeake....and I don't think I saw even a fraction of the place...enjoyed terrific sailing as well as endless sight seeing, etc....can highly recommend the place

Cape Cod another place....

Maine is stunning but the plethora of lobster buoys will drive you to start drinking at 9 am...
Old 14-12-2020, 10:26   #68
Marine Service Provider

I hung out at St. Michaels for several days for no other reason but to eat the crabs served there at the harbor front, every day.......the most delicious seafood I've ever had....who woulda thunk the lowly crab could be so tasty....
Old 14-12-2020, 11:24   #69

Boat: Hunter 26

Oriental NC and Ocracoke Is NC are two of my favorite hangouts ....

There are MANY great coves to anchor in for an evening. One of my favorites is the South River off of the Neuse ... Bring a Kayak. There are many little natural bayous in the salt marsh ...
rgranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 12:08   #70

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1722terry View Post
Cape May, NJ is worth the stop.
Any of the harbors on Mt. Desert Island, ME are nice, that's where we spend the summer.
Blue Hill, ME
Sorento, ME (not much there but some pretty homes, but it's a great sail up the bay to get there).
Roque Island, ME is idyllic.
Tennants Harbot, ME
Five Islands, ME
Robbinhood, ME
Eastport, ME
Campabello Island, CA (near Eastport).
Swans Island, ME
Just about anywhere in Maine.
If you're thinking of going up to Nova Scotia, PM us. We have a home there and we'll clue you in on some pristine harbors and anchorages.

Cheers!
Hi there..

You mentioned most of the places we visited last year. From Yarmouth, north. What great sailing. We ended up in Blue Hill for a few days too. (Had to pack/move out of a house in Penobscot.) Kind of disappointing that we couldn’t drop the hook in the harbor. Too crowded so we just grabbed a mooring from the BHYC. Very nice guy.

Anyway, we are intending to head north next summer and spend some time in Nova Scotia. We have some friends that did that the year before and loved it. We’re considering Bras D’or but have some concerns about the locks. We’re on a Bristol 47, 5’ draft. Looks beautiful but how crowded is it? Any other tips would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

~Andy and Leslie
s/v Kairos
reedsimonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 13:46   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedsimonds View Post
Hi there..

You mentioned most of the places we visited last year. From Yarmouth, north. What great sailing. We ended up in Blue Hill for a few days too. (Had to pack/move out of a house in Penobscot.) Kind of disappointing that we couldn’t drop the hook in the harbor. Too crowded so we just grabbed a mooring from the BHYC. Very nice guy.

Anyway, we are intending to head north next summer and spend some time in Nova Scotia. We have some friends that did that the year before and loved it. We’re considering Bras D’or but have some concerns about the locks. We’re on a Bristol 47, 5’ draft. Looks beautiful but how crowded is it? Any other tips would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

~Andy and Leslie
s/v Kairos
It have been through the locks a few times, our big boat is 44’OD, 49’LOA with 6-1/2’ draft. I think controlling depth is around 15’.

There are no big crowds.

It might be a good idea to start a thread just about Nova Scotia. So much to talk about.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 14:02   #72

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Is Mystic Seaport no longer there?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 14:12   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Is Mystic Seaport no longer there?
The last time I looked no one had moved it.

The web site is still active.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 14:17   #74

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Someone mentioned lobster traps in Nova Scotia. Nope, not really in the summer. They fish in the winter for the bugs and ship them to China.

Post or PM for more info on Nova Scotia. We'll help in anyway we can.
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 14:25   #75

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
The last time I looked no one had moved it.

The web site is still active.

https://www.mysticseaport.org/
A great place to stop if it hasn't changed in 62 years. I just hadn't seen in mentioned.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast