Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2014, 17:44   #1

Best of PuertoRico south coast

We will be going from Dominican Republic eastwards to PuertoRico and then further on. But whats absolutely not to miss and what is to be skipped? Please advice! If anybody kitesurf, please advice on that as well, but this might not be the correct forum I guess. Any diving points not to be missed?

Sent from my SGP321 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Unhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 08:56   #2

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Thumbs up Re: Best of Puerto Rico south coast

We made an unplanned and sadly too quick passage along PR's south coast due to weather constraints in May and it was one of the best things that happened to us all year - what we saw we loved! - and will be returning when we get the opportunity.

Ponce was the highlight - it's worth going to PR just to visit the fire-station! We could/should have caught a bus from either here or Salinas to visit San Juan too; perhaps next time? Oh, a fantastic art gallery too, if you're into that sort of thing

Watching Manatees in Cayos de Barca & at Gilligan's Island

Just chilling-out in Salinas and also in Boqueron

No idea about kite-surfing and I suspect the diving's nothing special either as water clarity wasn't good.passed (fairly quickly)
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 10:06   #3

Re: Best of PuertoRico south coast

Definitely pick up Bruce Van Sant's "The Gentleman's Guide to Passages South" for the Mona Passage. It can be a bumpy ride across, and you will want the local knowledge for the crossing.

Beyond the obvious stuff like Vieques, here are a few suggestions:

Caja de Muertos is an island off the south coast of Puerto Rico near Ponce. It's worth a stop. You will likely be the only vessel there. It's a protected nature reserve, and the snorkeling is nice. If you walk around the island, you'll find a lot of smaller wildlife. There is a lighthouse to check out, and some heavily overgrown paths to hike as well.

Monkey Island off the east coast of Puerto Rico is also worth a sail-by, but you can't go on the island itself. You don't need to, the monkeys will show up along the shore and start yelling at you and throwing things. It's pretty funny as long as you stay a safe distance away.

If you get up to Ponce, there is an ice cream place across from the fire station that has a bunch of interesting flavors. Definitely worth a stop.

If you have access to a car on Puerto Rico, make sure to head directly to Guavate up in the mountains of the southeast part of the island and eat a bunch of lechon.
shoej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 10:20   #4

There is a small inlet that has the strongest phosphorescence I've seen. I think it's near Ponce.. dingy trip at night to see it... anyone remember what it's called?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 16:23   #5

Thanks! Is that Mona passage really really superhard?

Old 26-11-2014, 16:36   #6

I hasn't been when I crossed it, but I'm pretty conservative weather wise. The whole DR end of PR was lit up with huge thunderstorms at night a couple times. The radar (coming from the DR) picked them up the whole way.
I could see the Mona getting real rough in the wrong weather though. As I remember there is an area in the Mona where the depth decreases a lot... I would stay clear of that area to avoid unruly seas.

Old 27-11-2014, 07:09   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

My GF is from Puerto Rico, the Cabo Rojo area. She says Playa Suiza is where the locals like to go, and it is probably the prettiest beach in Puerto Rico- somewhat remote (meaning a really long walk with a cooler) with beautiful cliffs and a lighthouse. I've seen boats come into the teardop shaped harbor and anchor, but there are many more in Boqueron. I've been to this area several times and there seems to be a pretty constant steep chop along the rocky shoreline.

Boqueron is also nice, more sheltered and with a quaint town to walk through. There was a great restaurant just off the beach with a large outdoor patio that had daily $2 mojitos and fantastic food. Ask for the skirt steak stuffed with ham, cheese and sweet plantains! Also great sorollitos. Further north Rincon beach is the famous surfing beach, pretty in a different way with a picturesque reef and rocky beach that is not as good for swimming as the others. People even come from San Juan to go to the southwest beaches for the day.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 01:02   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

Ensenada is well worth a stop. Very good shelter, small village with a couple of shops. Interesting abandoned sugar factory to walk round. I've been there twice and never seen another cruising boat.

Stinking hot that day!

One of the problems with Ponce is the Yacht Club. $25 a day per head to use their dinghy dock and you are not made very welcome. If you are going to fleece people, at least do it with a smile...

It's miles from the nearest shop too.

Ponce itself is worth a visit, though as a regular visitor to Spain, I was surprised at the lack of street cafes etc. When we wanted a cup of coffee, the only place we could find in central Ponce was a Dunkin' Doughnuts.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 09:02   #9

Yes, ensenada was a nice stop! Nobody there when we were there either. I heard there's some metal debris in the water so would not anchor real close in.

Old 28-11-2014, 16:03   #10

Thanks for all goid suggestins! Would you recomnend to clearance in Ponce or Mayaguez? I'm Leaning towards going to either Puerto Real, Cabo Rojo or Boqueron and then take the bus up to Mayaguez. Any thoughts on this?

Old 28-11-2014, 16:11   #11

When we crossed the Mona Passage, we sailed into Boqueron, then took a taxi up to Mayaguez to clear in. Was a simple process with no lines (we were the only ones there) and went very smoothly. Boqueron is close to the highway, so it's a relatively short trip. Be sure to catch a sunset in Boqueron if you can, they are worth it.
shoej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 15:56   #12

Boat: Corbin39

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1418169346.828000.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	93296
I am sitting Boqueron Bay now and this was tonite, awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Agape39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 18:10   #13

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

...Ponce...Yacht Club. $25 a day to use their dinghydock...

We anchored at the top of the bay and beached the dinghy (I wouldnt' do it if there's a swell running in) on the narrow, stony bit immediately east of the Coast Guard Station; no charge and 1 mile at least nearer to the town/shops than the yacht club's marina.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 19:09   #14

Boat: Corbin39

I'm at the yacht club now but needed a slip so I could fly home for Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Agape39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 11:19   #15

Boat: FP "Maldives" 32

I loved being anchored close to the jetty at Patillas Beach, safe and calm being protected by the reef nearby. Shallow though. Nice restaurant ashore.

Esperanza on Vieques also has some good restaurants ashore.

Palomino island off Farardo very pleasant.
Miki is offline   Reply With Quote