Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2016, 11:53   #16

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Best prices for RIB/OB in Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
What are your thoughts about the Achilles quality in general? Many years ago I worked for a shop that sold Achilles and the repair guys thought they were excellent. The V-floor would put me off however. Do you knoq id their glass hulled RIBS have a flat floor is it also V?

I had an Achilles in 1989. One of the best back then. Unfortunately lost it in a blow and I think it's now in Greenland. They went through a rough patch a while back but are now back in the business. I did not like their aluminum job because of the V floor and less beam (so even less cargo space) than the Highfield.

The Highfield sounds interesting. Most of the dinks are made in China anyway so that in itself wouldn't put me off. Bottom line is who and how well they manage QC.

Have seen a few in the Bahamas and they're standard equipment on the big Lagoons now. ( I think). I'll know after this season whether I made the right choice. They do look well designed.

Do you know the name of the dealer to call in Nassau and price? A new Yamaha 15 2-stroke I think is somewhere in my future.

Harbourside Marine in Nassau. 242-394-8360. Last time I checked they were $2100 but you get no initial service. It just comes in a big box and that's it. I bought one from Minns Watersports in Georgetown. 242 336 3483 $2300 but they took off my old 15 which I sold and mounted the new one for me. Also the 20 hour bottom lube change is included. They check it all out to make sure everything's alright.

Thanks
Skip
If you can wait till GT that's a better place to get the Yamaha.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:19   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
If you can wait till GT that's a better place to get the Yamaha.
Thanks for the info. I just looked at the Highfield web site and all the specs I saw said PVC. Do you know if they make any in Hypalon?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:21   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Thanks for the info. I just looked at the Highfield web site and all the specs I saw said PVC. Do you know if they make any in Hypalon?
Never mind. Looked again at the web site and see and the bottom of the spec sheet that hypalon is an option.
Old 03-01-2016, 18:43   #19

Boat: Lagoon 39

Below is the email address for the Manager at Harbourside Marine as well as a link to their website.

Jakeil Cartwright <jakeil@hbsmarine.com>

Harbourside Marine - Yamaha Dealer in The Bahamas
faa50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 19:04   #20

Boat: Lagoon 39

In reading Skip's post it appears that Vendor outboard motor competition must have heated up. The quote I received this past Fall included similar items (installation and lube) listed by Skip and also a 5 gallon fuel tank and hose. I'm guessing here but I bet they will match each others offer, so maybe whatever is more convenient for you the better?

Keep in mind that in-country dealers buy from the Yamaha distributor located in Marsh Harbour, Abacos. You can save yourself a couple hundred dollars by buying directly from the importer, if you plan to travel to the Outer Islands.
faa50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 19:14   #21

thanks Faa for the info, and the following is not directed at you.

I'm curious why folks are still set on 2 strokes? Current 2 strokes use sealed/non-serviceable CDI, so not the true "stone axe" kind of reliability that some people like to claim. 4 stroke EFI offers significantly better partial-throttle-fuel-economy - this is where most of us live. ECM module is no less robust than a CDI, both sealed units, so no drastic reliability loss to 4 stroke. You ditch the carb with 4 stroke EFI, so dodgy fuel aging/varnishing problems are reduced. Slightly more weight (roughly 20% or so based on my non-calibrated rough comparison scale), but 2 stroke requires fuel additives and is less efficient most of the time?

I know I've had my fill of cursing fouled plugs and gummed up carbs so 2 strokes are out....4 stroke EFI for me.

I guess I just don't get it.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:36   #22

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread117 View Post

I'm curious why folks are still set on 2 strokes? Current 2 strokes use sealed/non-serviceable CDI, so not the true "stone axe" kind of reliability that some people like to claim. 4 stroke EFI offers significantly better partial-throttle-fuel-economy - this is where most of us live. ECM module is no less robust than a CDI, both sealed units, so no drastic reliability loss to 4 stroke. You ditch the carb with 4 stroke EFI, so dodgy fuel aging/varnishing problems are reduced. Slightly more weight (roughly 20% or so based on my non-calibrated rough comparison scale), but 2 stroke requires fuel additives and is less efficient most of the time?

I know I've had my fill of cursing fouled plugs and gummed up carbs so 2 strokes are out....4 stroke EFI for me.

Weight is a big consideration. Also, 2 strokes typically handle fuel issues better than 4 strokes. Fuel injection is not usually available on small 4 strokes although efi is no guarantee you won't have an issue. I traded my 2 stroke 30hp Mariner on my lobster skiff for a Honda & had nothing but trouble with it. I ended up trading the Honda in on a 2 stroke 25hp Yamaha & haven't had a problem since. It burns 100-1 oil so no fouled plugs or carbon build up.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:29   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread117 View Post

Weight is a big issue. Yamaha 15 HP 2-stroke 80 lbs, 4 stroke 111 lbs. When hoisting onboard or mounting on a dinghy transom while bouncing around in the water that extra weight is a LOT. Also the power curve works better with the 2-stroke giving much better power out of the hole.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:38   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Then there is the 20 Hp Suzuki at 99 lbs. I've had it for two years with no issues.
I've also had a tiny little 4 stroke Honda that powers a bicycle, meant to be a weedeater motor, and I've had 0 issues with it, but I do burn Avgas in it and maybe that's why.

Honda Engines | GX25 Mini 4-Stroke Engine | Features, Specs, and Model Info

When they get this tiny, you know they can replace 2 strokes completely, its coming.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:50   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Then there is the 20 Hp Suzuki at 99 lbs. I've had it for two years with no issues.
I've also had a tiny little 4 stroke Honda that powers a bicycle, meant to be a weedeater motor, and I've had 0 issues with it, but I do burn Avgas in it and maybe that's why.

Honda Engines | GX25 Mini 4-Stroke Engine | Features, Specs, and Model Info

When they get this tiny, you know they can replace 2 strokes completely, its coming.
Avgas sure solves the fuel related problems. Too bad it's not sold at most marinas.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:59   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by faa50 View Post
In reading Skip's post it appears that Vendor outboard motor competition must have heated up. The quote I received this past Fall included similar items (installation and lube) listed by Skip and also a 5 gallon fuel tank and hose. I'm guessing here but I bet they will match each others offer, so maybe whatever is more convenient for you the better?

Keep in mind that in-country dealers buy from the Yamaha distributor located in Marsh Harbour, Abacos. You can save yourself a couple hundred dollars by buying directly from the importer, if you plan to travel to the Outer Islands.
Hi FAA

While I appreciate the accolades I think the helpful information about the Yamahas originally came from Vasco.

By the way, the info about the main importer being located in Marsh Harbor is very helpful. Thanks

Skip
Old 04-01-2016, 08:07   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Back during the first big gas crisis we were stuck in Miami on a weekend with no gas (remember the odd/even days and no gas on Sunday at all?) and needed to get back to north Florida. Knew a guy that ran a charter operation out of the Opalocka airport who filled us up with Avgas but he cautioned against using it too often as, he claimed, it could burn your valves. Any truth to that?

Also I've been buying non-ethanol gas for all my small engines but the local outboard mechanic claims the problems with carbs on small engines is not from the ethanol but the gas blend itself that no longer allows the additives and stabilizers used in the bad old days. I the last 5-6 years I've had to clean, rebuild or replace carbs on two lawnmowers, two generators, three outboards, three chainsaws and a log splitter %$@#$%@$#!!!!!!! so love to get your thoughts on this.

Skip
Old 04-01-2016, 08:21   #28

I think ethanol is a big part of the problem. Forgetting the fact that it dissolves fuel lines & fiberglass tanks, it's also hygroscopic. Since I put the new carburetor on my Honda 2.3 I've used non-ethanol fuel, added Stabil & Pri-G to every tank & I try to run the carburetors dry when I'm done with the motor for a while. So far so good.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:35   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Avgas wont burn your valves, wont harm your engine. It's very high Octane compared to car gas, and all that means is its hard to ignite, it doesn't burn hotter or increase HP output, just there is a lot more margin for detonation.
It has a very long storage life. I have no idea how long, but many months at least.
It will wreck pollution controls, especially a Catalytic converter in a very short time and will have lead build up on your spark plugs and contaminate your oil, I have never tried it in a two stroke.
Reason I burn it in the bicycle is it's a folding bike that I used to carry in my airplane, and Avgas of course is readily available from one of the fuel drains. I didn't want to carry a gas can and the tiny little motor used almost no fuel, tank maybe holds a quart.

Oh, and I would go so far as to say that Ethanol, is THE problem with all little motors. It seems that the fuel injected ones are not as effected, I assume that is because the fuel system in the engine is sealed, no contact with air.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:57   #30

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
It has a very long storage life. I have no idea how long, but many months at least.

Well after WWII people were filling up old military underground av gas tanks with water and pumping off the fuel on top. This stuff was years old.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, price, rib