Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2016, 16:11   #1

Best prices for RIB/OB in Florida?

Where's a good place to pick up an aluminum 11-12' RIB and 20hp 4 stroke OB at a good price in Florida? Preferably Jacksonville area. I've started looking around but most places I've found online are in south Florida or don't offer online pricing.

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2016, 16:18   #2
cruiser

Re: Best prices for RIB/OB in Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread117 View Post
Where's a good place to pick up an aluminum 11-12' RIB and 20hp 4 stroke OB at a good price in Florida? Preferably Jacksonville area. I've started looking around but most places I've found online are in south Florida or don't offer online pricing.

Thanks!
Defender Industries will ship defender.com
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 17:25   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Defender is definitely worth a check. They sell several brands of boats and motors, will ship to FL and are one of the large distributors of RIBs in the country.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 18:46   #4

I just bought a new aluminum AB and Suzuki outboard. I got the boat at Jamestown Distributors (call their retail store) and the motor from Porta-Bote. Good experience and delivered for less than the S Florida dealers were offering.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:51   #5

Boat: Lagoon 39

A firm in California sales new AB 10' RIBs with bow locking locker no shipping nor sales tax for $4,200. Will ship anywhere in US - solves delivery issues. This RIB comes with 10 yr warranty and constructed with Ocra material. This is the lowest price I've found and beats boat show specials.

If you are headed to Bahamas, you can purchase a venerable new Yamaha 15 hp 2 stroke 15" shaft for only $2,200 incl gas tank/fuel line. Due to EPA regulations this outboard is no longer available in US, just everywhere else. Key advantage is reliability, parts availability and serviced world-wide. Dealers located in Abaco (Marsh Harbour) or Nassau.
faa50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:39   #6

Boat: Scout 30

Defender clearances boats at great prices. I got about $1,000 bucks off my Avon 3.4. However, these deals are not usually advertised online so it's a good idea to give them a call. Whatever you do stick with hypalon.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:10   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I just finished doing all the research. AB's have gone downhill, sad to say (my old dink was an AB that gave me great service for many years) and are having problems with their aluminum dinks (there's one used one for sale in NC for $500). Separation and paint problems. Achilles new aluminum hull has had only one season and no reports and no flat floor which is very important when lugging jugs. You slide all over a V floor and cargo goes all over.

I ended up with a Highfield (old Aussie Swift Boats) made in China with Orca (French Hypalon fabric) fabric. The CL 310 has a flat floor, fwd locker that takes a 3 gallon tank, hose runs under the floor, 6 lifting rings, seat with bag under and even a cover. The aluminum is powder coated not painted like ABs. Weighs 110 pounds.

The dealer I got it from (S. FL) drove it up to me (Jacksonville area) rather than ship it as I needed it right away. He pumped it all up and showed me all the features.. Price was a bit more than the Achilles from Defender (problem with shipping with Defender as it has to be trucked and will only go to commercial spots with a loading bay)

If you're interested pm me and I'll give you the pricing details and the name of the guy to call. Wait for Nassau to buy a 2 stroke. A 15hp will be plenty for a CL310.

By the way I saw your earlier posts. Have you got the big boat yet? If not it's too early to worry about the dink. You'll have to think of how to carry it first and that might constrain your choices.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:03   #8

Highfield make top quality ribs.
Here's some prices to help you.
Ultra light 10.5 pvc $2200 hyp $3500
Ultra light 11.5 pvc $2428 hyp $4294

Classic 10.5 pvc 2572 hyp 3883
Classic 11.5 pvc 3000 hyp 4858
Classic 12. Pvc 3285 hyp 5198
Classic 12.6. Pvc 3427 hyp 5693
Mango51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:53   #9

Thanks to all for the replies so far. I planned on calling Defender on Monday, but I didn't know to ask about their clearance deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayH View Post
I just bought a new aluminum AB and Suzuki outboard. I got the boat at Jamestown Distributors (call their retail store) and the motor from Porta-Bote. Good experience and delivered for less than the S Florida dealers were offering.
Thanks JayH, I've emailed Porta-Bote regarding their Suzuki deals. I would never have thought to check with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faa50 View Post
A firm in California sales new AB 10' RIBs with bow locking locker no shipping nor sales tax for $4,200. Will ship anywhere in US - solves delivery issues. This RIB comes with 10 yr warranty and constructed with Ocra material. This is the lowest price I've found and beats boat show specials.

If you are headed to Bahamas, you can purchase a venerable new Yamaha 15 hp 2 stroke 15" shaft for only $2,200 incl gas tank/fuel line. Due to EPA regulations this outboard is no longer available in US, just everywhere else. Key advantage is reliability, parts availability and serviced world-wide. Dealers located in Abaco (Marsh Harbour) or Nassau.
Faa, do they sell 11 or 12' RIBs as well? 10' is too small for my needs. Also, I'm all done with 2 strokes. 4 stroke EFI is the future and that's where I'm headed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I just finished doing all the research....

...The dealer I got it from (S. FL) drove it up to me (Jacksonville area) rather than ship it as I needed it right away. He pumped it all up and showed me all the features.. Price was a bit more than the Achilles from Defender (problem with shipping with Defender as it has to be trucked and will only go to commercial spots with a loading bay)

If you're interested pm me and I'll give you the pricing details and the name of the guy to call. Wait for Nassau to buy a 2 stroke. A 15hp will be plenty for a CL310.

By the way I saw your earlier posts. Have you got the big boat yet? If not it's too early to worry about the dink. You'll have to think of how to carry it first and that might constrain your choices.
Sending a PM, thanks for the info. I've been leaning towards a Highfield for the same reasons, but it's reassuring to hear from an owner. I'd be looking at the 340 or 360.

Regarding the big boat, yep done and dusted. Living aboard in Jacksonville, waiting on USCG Documentation to arrive then heading south. Pearson 419, center cockpit ketch, predecessor (same hull) as 424/422. Monster davits with 2 electric hoists, currently holding 600+ lbs solidly.

BTW, if anyone in Jacksonville wants a great deal on a functional but tired 11' Boston Whaler with a 25hp 2 stroke Mercury (wheel steering, bimini, lots of spares) give me a shout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango51 View Post
Highfield make top quality ribs.
Here's some prices to help you.
Ultra light 10.5 pvc $2200 hyp $3500
Ultra light 11.5 pvc $2428 hyp $4294

Classic 10.5 pvc 2572 hyp 3883
Classic 11.5 pvc 3000 hyp 4858
Classic 12. Pvc 3285 hyp 5198
Classic 12.6. Pvc 3427 hyp 5693
Mango, where are those prices from and what is contact info? Thanks.

Thanks for all the info so far, much appreciated.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:55   #10

Boat: Beneteau 411

Be sure to check Bass Pro for a sale on the OB. Not sure on the RIB, we found a used one.
apacit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 13:40   #11

Whitebread, those prices were from 2015. I was just looking for the info and found the boat show prices for 2016 around $200 less.
Albert Bijil
Marine warehouse
2330 Nw 102nd Ave suite 1
Dieael,fl 33172-USA
Phone# 305-635-0776
Mango51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:54   #12

Quote:
I just finished doing all the research. AB's have gone downhill, sad to say (my old dink was an AB that gave me great service for many years) and are having problems with their aluminum dinks (there's one used one for sale in NC for $500). Separation and paint problems.
Tubes glued onto painted aluminum probably isn't the best idea. Not sure if I'd feel good about powder coating either. I bought a boat with an unpainted hull. It looks to me like it is actually anodized, but don't know how to tell for sure.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:25   #13
cruiser

Quote:
I just finished doing all the research. AB's have gone downhill, sad to say (my old dink was an AB that gave me great service for many years) and are having problems with their aluminum dinks (there's one used one for sale in NC for $500). Separation and paint problems. Achilles new aluminum hull has had only one season and no reports and no flat floor which is very important when lugging jugs. You slide all over a V floor and cargo goes all over.

I ended up with a Highfield (old Aussie Swift Boats) made in China with Orca (French Hypalon fabric) fabric. The CL 310 has a flat floor, fwd locker that takes a 3 gallon tank, hose runs under the floor, 6 lifting rings, seat with bag under and even a cover. The aluminum is powder coated not painted like ABs. Weighs 110 pounds.

The dealer I got it from (S. FL) drove it up to me (Jacksonville area) rather than ship it as I needed it right away. He pumped it all up and showed me all the features.. Price was a bit more than the Achilles from Defender (problem with shipping with Defender as it has to be trucked and will only go to commercial spots with a loading bay)

My friend has a 11' AB FG console---it has developed a leak in a inaccessible place !!!!!!BOO AB
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:19   #14

Boat: Lagoon 39

Whitebread

Yes, AB has various sizes in the Navigo Model up to 15'. Here is their website. Navigo 12 VS. Not pushing the AB models, jsut from my own research, their product and warranty appear to be the best value for the cost. The fiberglass floor is a nice feature too last tough conditions and the full line runs beneath the floor. Davit lift points are reinforced and well located.

Caribs are very common in the charter industry but have a history of not lasting long, Avon, West Marine RIBs share this characteristic. Walker Bays are great but don't fit our budget.

Yamaha 4 strokes are nice and offer the electric start, which the Admiral appreciates. You might drop the large marine outlet in Nassau an email requesting a quote. I've found them to be prompt and great customer service.
faa50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:49   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
What are your thoughts about the Achilles quality in general? Many years ago I worked for a shop that sold Achilles and the repair guys thought they were excellent. The V-floor would put me off however. Do you knoq id their glass hulled RIBS have a flat floor is it also V?

Quote:
The Highfield sounds interesting. Most of the dinks are made in China anyway so that in itself wouldn't put me off. Bottom line is who and how well they manage QC.

Quote:
Do you know the name of the dealer to call in Nassau and price? A new Yamaha 15 2-stroke I think is somewhere in my future.

Thanks
Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, price, rib