Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2014, 05:38   #16

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: Bimini Check In- MEMORIAL WEEKEND!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I have read about these incidents , that's why I posed the question. I have a silly rule. I try to stay out of the world prisons

That's an excellent rule. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 10:23   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
if you were coming in from Florida, is required that you check in at the nearest port which is Bimini or can you continue East and check in at nassau ?
No you can check in anywhere. We cross to the Abacos and rarely check in at West End heading to Green Turtle or Spanish.
C Skip R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 10:40   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Skip R View Post
No you can check in anywhere. We cross to the Abacos and rarely check in at West End heading to Green Turtle or Spanish.
That is just not correct according to law. Although it has been allowed, the law states that a vessel is to check in to the FIRST available port of entry as soon as you enter Bahamas waters. motion30's post is correct. Right now the Bahamians are not enforcing it, but this is the Bahamas and it can all change tomorrow. Not all settlements and towns are considered a port of entry. There must be at least a Customs office and preferably Customs and Immigrations. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 24-05-2014, 15:09   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
That is just not correct according to law. Although it has been allowed, the law states that a vessel is to check in to the FIRST available port of entry as soon as you enter Bahamas waters. motion30's post is correct. Right now the Bahamians are not enforcing it, but this is the Bahamas and it can all change tomorrow. Not all settlements and towns are considered a port of entry. There must be at least a the Customs office and preferably Customs and Immigrations. Chuck
Anchorage Guy,
I'm explaining the real world and how it is in the Bahamas. Been going to the Bahamas for over 30 years and rarely stop at the first point of entry unless its convenient. That's the real world if you want to stop at the first point of entry be my guest. True not all settlements or towns are set up for clearing.
Skip
C Skip R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 15:59   #20

Boat: Various

Quote:
Anchorage Guy,
I'm explaining the real world and how it is in the Bahamas. Been going to the Bahamas for over 30 years and rarely stop at the first point of entry unless its convenient. That's the real world if you want to stop at the first point of entry be my guest. True not all settlements or towns are set up for clearing.
Skip
Keep in mind the real world for the last 30 years may not be the real world now. They have gotten more diligent. If you don't believe that just anchor without checking in. Still generally if you steer wide of entries there won't be an issue. But don't decide you'd like to just take a look at Atlantis in Nassau, cruise in and out, and then proceed to the Abacos without clearing.

I haven't heard of them doing anything unreasonable, but they do know the difference between being in transit and stopping, and they are now checking for those stopping without clearing. Also, they know the waters they consider to be within the Bahamas, not just territorial waters.

And the real world today may not be what it is tomorrow.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 17:57   #21

Like some of these "real world" incidents. Bahamian vessels held over undersized crawfish | The Tribune . The RBDF is out there and they are checking boats like they never have before. From the Tribune article...

Meanwhile, a 26-foot American registered motor vessel was stopped and boarded by Marines six nautical miles west of Ship Channel Cay in the Northern Exuma Chain. The interception was made by HMBS-130 which was on routine patrol at the time.
Soon after it was discovered that the vessel did not clear Bahamas Customs or Immigration.
On board, officers found several goods which were purchased in the US.
Those on the boat along with the items were turned over to police and customs officials for further processing.

Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 24-05-2014, 20:28   #22

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Anchorage Guy,
Skip
Did you skip over posts # 12, 13, and 14 in this thread, or did you just decide we're all idiots who don't know what we're talking about?
Old 24-05-2014, 22:53   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I had the same problem trying to check in to Bimini a few years ago. Wasn't a holiday but there was some kind of fishing tournament going on and all the marinas were total full and the anchorage jammed.

I just anchored close in off the beach on the west side of the island. As long the winds stay our of the east, about 99% of the time in May/June, it is pretty calm and safe. Then just dinghy in from there.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini