Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2021, 11:48   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Bimini to Andros

Looking at going from FLL to Exumas in a month. In a 38' cat that draws 3.5 ft. First stop is Bimini, someone said to to do check in at Cat Cay rather than Bimini, but not sure about that, if anyone has comments, would certainly appreciate them.

We need to get to Andros, then Nassau, then to Exumas. I have been reading all the threads, but can't find this answer on crossing Bimini to Andros.

I am waiting for chartbook to come, I have opencpn with standard Raster/Vector charts, which I know is not enough detail, but the big trip is leg 2, Bimini to Andros. I am not sure if we need to go up and around , or follow the cable squiggle on the chart, or can we make it across? It almost looks like we can do this. See attached detail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bimtoandros.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	371.4 KB
ID:	232521  
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 11:54   #2

Re: Bimini to Andros

We used to prefer to check in at Cat Cay (but, Bimini's not bad), but I heard recently that they had upped their check in charge from $100 to $400.

I think that's pretty much their way of saying that they really don't want anyone checking in there.
Old 14-02-2021, 12:00   #3

Boat: Hanse 348

Thanks. What is the check in charge on Bimini? And any advice on route to Andros?
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 12:41   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Thanks. What is the check in charge on Bimini? And any advice on route to Andros?
Nothing above the government charge. From Bimini, go around the south past Gun Cay, and across the Bahamas Bank to the Northwest Channel, then hang a right. You can't miss Andros. You can stop at Morgan's's Harbor. There are several places you can explore further south.

Most people just anchor on the banks en route. Don't do it during a front.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 16:05   #5

Boat: Beneteau 323

As far as clearing in, do so at Bimini Big Game. There's an office on site, then a short walk to immigration. Easiest, fastest check-in. Pre-Covid, at least.
Capt. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 06:38   #6

The only problem with Bimini as a check in spot, is that some wind and weather conditions, (a strong west wind for instance) can make getting into Bimini Harbor (or even Bimini Sands) a little interesting for someone who's never done it before.

And, it's easy to get trapped there by weather for the same reason.

The other problem with Bimini, is that compared to the way it used to be, it's kind of a dump now. You're probably not going to want to hang around there. The new resort on the north end of the island is the worst monstrosity in the Bahamas.

Of course, if you go to Morgan's Harbor, you'll probably think the same thing.

I made my first passage to the Bahamas in 1987, and Bimini was our first stop and check in. It was on it's way down, even then. We actually had to pay the C&I a little bit of a demanded bribe.

But, at least the Compleat Angler was still there then, and the Bimini Big Game club was rolling those days. Gary Hart and Donna Rice took their famous picture that killed his Presidential run on the dock at the Big Game club.

But, don't take that as negative. There are some paradise level beautiful places in the Bahamas and the Bahamian people, by and large, are the nicest people you will ever meet. I wish I were there now!
Old 16-02-2021, 07:08   #7

Boat: Boreal 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
I am waiting for chartbook to come, I have opencpn with standard Raster/Vector charts, which I know is not enough detail, but the big trip is leg 2, Bimini to Andros. I am not sure if we need to go up and around , or follow the cable squiggle on the chart, or can we make it across? It almost looks like we can do this. See attached detail.
The purple dashed line in the attached chart shows the route we took in the opposite direction a while ago in our 4' draft monohull. I don't remember it as being problematic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bahamas.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	232664  
BjarneK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 07:13   #8

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

You draw 3.5 feet, there is no need to go south to Gun Cay and then turn east. Get the Explorer chart books. There is a route from the tip of South Bimini that takes a diagonal line to a waypoint several miles east of Gun Then east to NW channel light. The trip between Bimini and Morgan's bluff is long enough without adding more miles to it. There is one shallow spot that is charted at 4 feet, but I have never seen less than 6ft there. I draw 4 feet and never had a problem even at low water. I do admit the first time I crossed it I did so at high water. I will attempt to attach a PDF of the route.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bimini to Morgan's Bluff.pdf (228.6 KB, 93 views)
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 07:53   #9

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

When a cold front pushes thru Bimini can be rough. Check with Chub Cay on this weeks Covid/Customs clearance rules,,,,,, you might make them Plan B
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 07:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
You draw 3.5 feet, there is no need to go south to Gun Cay and then turn east. Get the Explorer chart books. There is a route from the tip of South Bimini that takes a diagonal line to a waypoint several miles east of Gun Then east to NW channel light. The trip between Bimini and Morgan's bluff is long enough without adding more miles to it. There is one shallow spot that is charted at 4 feet, but I have never seen less than 6ft there. I draw 4 feet and never had a problem even at low water. I do admit the first time I crossed it I did so at high water. I will attempt to attach a PDF of the route.
Yes, this is true, I was trying to give the easy directions, but yes, you can turn in right before Turtle Rocks with that draft. I've been across that shoal a couple of times with a four foot draft and a five foot draft and never touched.
Old 16-02-2021, 09:40   #11

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Yes, this is true, I was trying to give the easy directions, but yes, you can turn in right before Turtle Rocks with that draft. I've been across that shoal a couple of times with a four foot draft and a five foot draft and never touched.

I've been through the Gun Cay route and didn't find it nearly as easy as the route I gave. You have to get around the tip of the island avoid the big bar to the east, and if you want to leave at sunrise reading the water is not easy to do with the sun in your eyes. There are no obstacles on my route and coming out of Bimini the sun is not in your eyes.

I recommend Bimini Blue Water Resort or Browns marina. That way if you get stuck there for weather, it won't cost you nearly as much as the Game club.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 10:19   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

All my charts are on the boat which is 65 miles away so a question as we are trying to plan the next trip.

I've made the crossing from Gun Cay cut to Chub a couple of times but in 3.5-4.5' draft boats. Current boat is 5.5'. I think most of the route looks good except for a shallow area a few miles east of Cat Cay. I'm not talking about the bar just east of the cut and north of Cat but a little farther on.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 10:56   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I've been through the Gun Cay route and didn't find it nearly as easy as the route I gave. You have to get around the tip of the island avoid the big bar to the east, and if you want to leave at sunrise reading the water is not easy to do with the sun in your eyes. There are no obstacles on my route and coming out of Bimini the sun is not in your eyes.

I recommend Bimini Blue Water Resort or Browns marina. That way if you get stuck there for weather, it won't cost you nearly as much as the Game club.
Yeah, your route is definitely easier for a first timer. I just always took that cut because I was always clearing in at Cat. But, for a $400 check in fee, I won't ever be doing it again.
Old 16-02-2021, 11:03   #14

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Another vote for turn at Gun and head to Chubb. We had three days / nights slow sailing out on the Bank and it was magic. Smooth as glass and wafting along at 3kts. That was in a mono with a 6ft draft as well.
N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini