Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2022, 08:32   #1

Bocas Del Toro, Panama - water issues

November 13, 2022 - we were informed by the manager of a marina here in Panama that the water pipeline from the mainland of Panama to the islands around Bocas Del Tor has ruptured, and there is no fresh water available, except for bottled, to all the resorts, hotels, restaurants, clubs, toilets, etc.

We were told this happened a few weeks ago and that the US Army Corps of Engineers is standing by to fix the problem.

There is nothing in the press about this.

Can anyone confirm this news and/or shed some light on the issue...

~Captain Lisa Longshadow
Lisa Longshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 10:00   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Bocas Del Toro, Panama - water issues

Im here now and have heard basically the same story. Dont know any other details.

But its still rainy season so water falls from the sky every day...and my tanks are full.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 10:05   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

This was on a friend's facebook with the caption "Fingers crossed"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bocas water.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	267365  
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 10:32   #4

Boat: Passport 41

AFAIK the problem was the lack of significant rainfall during the last two months. For more than 2 weeks now, most people are only getting water from delivery trucks that come from the mainland. Even cruisers who rely on rain water collection were struggling. This article confirms it: https://www.panamaamerica.com.pa/pro...ia-1214163/amp

Today it's been raining for several hours, though, so maybe the situation will improve
LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 04:53   #5

Thank you all for the replies. Presently, we are in Rio Hato, Panama and will cross the Canal in early January. Then head to Bocos Del Toro for 3 months. Super excited to visit Bocas and do some scuba diving in clear water!!!
Old 15-11-2022, 08:55   #6
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

My buddy who owns property in Bocas del Toro tells me that not only is the Army Corp of Engineers not involved, but there isn't even a water pipeline from the mainland to the island. The shortage is due to a lack of rainfall filling the reservoir. The Panamanian government has trucked water in to local businesses and residences, unused water wells are being reactivated and $5 million has been made available to rectify the situation. This is in addition to a $100 million dollar infrastructure program that is currently underway.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 09:50   #7
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Not only is a watermaker a necessity, you must also be prepared to use it in conditions that are not optimal, like in brackish water, which is what you get in tropical areas during the rainy season.

Even when there’s water coming out of the faucets, you can’t drink it safely. Consider it like well water at best.

We have been in situations, in Panama, where water was unavailable for weeks or even months at a time. Guess what happens in the toilets when the swimming pool runs out of water so you can’t flush with buckets anymore…

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 15:55   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

When water is scarce, having a method for capturing and using rain water is essential, in the absence of a watermaker.

Just my opinion, but I'm thinking the OP needs to go where there is water, if no catchment for it, nor watermaker. They'll have to plan to be where one can expect rainfall.

There's another issue to consider, as well: often, in locations to which one wants to cruise, there is poor water quality. There are a number of ways to address that issue, but being aware of it and accepting it as an issue that needs to be addressed is really important. We can live without food for a long time, but only about 3 days without water.

Ann
Old 16-11-2022, 05:46   #9

Thank you. I have a Watermaker and a 200 gallon water tank with 3 different filtration systems that I test PPM and PH frequently. I was more interested in if there was a general water issue to the Bocas Del Toro public and how it is affecting tourism there. Please let me know if there's any news in Bocos Del Toro on this issue...
Old 16-11-2022, 05:51   #10
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Longshadow View Post
Thank you. I have a Watermaker and a 200 gallon water tank with 3 different filtration systems that I test PPM and PH frequently. I was more interested in if there was a general water issue to the Bocas Del Toro public and how it is affecting tourism there. Please let me know if there's any news in Bocos Del Toro on this issue...
You will find these issues are occurring everywhere and on a regular basis in Panama, as are power outages. I guess it gets more publicity in Bocas because of the large expat community there.

We have lived in Panama for more than 10 years.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama, water