Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 18:43   #1

Boat: Young 42
Brasil

I am hoping to sail from Capetown, South Africa to Brasil in January 2014.
Some people have told me that Salvador is a better first port of call than Rio because it is difficult to sail north from Rio, and Salvador is easy to reach on an Atlantic crossing. I have also heard that it is very expensive to stay in a marina in Rio, and that access to the reasonably priced yacht club is nearly impossible. That said, I can't imagine sailing to Brasil, and not seeing Rio. I have also heard that there are beautiful cruising grounds around Ilha Grande and the nearby islands just south of Rio. Any advice or suggestions for where to stay in Rio? Is Salvador a more relaxed place to stay with good facilities. Any Brasilian gems that I shouldn't miss, or interesting off the beaten path anchorages and ports that are relatively safe and secure?
Thanks all,
David
SV Jipcho
jipcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 18:50   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Brasil

Rio is unmissable. You just can't go to Brazil and not do Rio.
Salvadore De Bahia is wonderful too... but Rio is Rio

Cabo Frio is very close to Rio and a wonderful stop 22 58.4376 S 042 01.1332 W but I think its got a bit bigger than when I was there!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 18:52   #3

Thanks Mark
Old 07-08-2013, 18:55   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

buses are cheap and a great way to travel,go for the point further up the coast with a secure marina,and spend your money on inland travel,rather than paying $100 a night in rio,rio is overrated,better get the real brazil experince drinking cold beer,churasco,caipirinias in local bars and restuarants lots of backpacker hostels in rio if you need to visit,rather than hanging out at the yachtclub with the super rich
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 18:57   #5

Thanks, Atoll. Any names or positions for such a place?
Old 07-08-2013, 19:01   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipcho View Post
Thanks, Atoll. Any names or positions for such a place?
best to check on Noonsite.com — Noonsite for latest info

http://www.noonsite.com/Members/sue/R2012-06-25-1
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 11:01   #7

Location: New Zealand originally, but now Malaysia & Thailand
Boat: Kendall 32, Daemon
Hi Jipcho,
I think we met you in Vanuatu/Bundaberg many years ago. We did Capetown to Brazil this year, and I have a heap of cruising notes I can send you. Highly recommend arrived at Ilha Grande, 60 miles south of Rio. Checking in easy and it is a great cruising ground. Marinas in the south want stupid money, so forget about them, there are plenty of anchorages. In Rio it is no problem to anchor in Urca, under the Sugar Loaf. You can leave your dinghy on the beach (chained and daytime/early evening only) and catch buses into town.

Going north is bit of a grind, worth it for the whale experience going past the Abrolhas Islands. We are currently in Salvador in the marina there, about $US15 per day for a 32 footer. Unless you stay on Itaparica and ferry over, it is the only option here as the anchorage isn't safe.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Cheers,
Jill
Old 13-09-2013, 12:36   #8

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipcho View Post
I am hoping to sail from Capetown, South Africa to Brasil in January 2014.
Some people have told me that Salvador is a better first port of call than Rio because it is difficult to sail north from Rio, and Salvador is easy to reach on an Atlantic crossing. I have also heard that it is very expensive to stay in a marina in Rio, and that access to the reasonably priced yacht club is nearly impossible. That said, I can't imagine sailing to Brasil, and not seeing Rio. I have also heard that there are beautiful cruising grounds around Ilha Grande and the nearby islands just south of Rio. Any advice or suggestions for where to stay in Rio? Is Salvador a more relaxed place to stay with good facilities. Any Brasilian gems that I shouldn't miss, or interesting off the beaten path anchorages and ports that are relatively safe and secure?
Thanks all,
David
SV Jipcho
David

I agree with most of your info. I sailed all the Brazilian coast between last year and this year.

The only marina in Rio (Marina da Gloria) is expensive and not a good place to stay these days. In fact the regulators have just cancelled the lease because the operator (billionaire Eike Batista) did not meet the contract obligations. There are no good services and it is impossible to get a bus or taxi from there much of the time. It is also not a safe area...

I recommend that you visit Rio two but leave the boat elsewhere. Logical places are Buzios, Cabo Frio or somewhere in the Angra/Ilha Grande area (I suggest a mooring ball at Marina Porto Frade near Angrathat will be safest). If you insist in leaving the boat closer to Rio try the Navy club in Niteroi but access is almost "impossible" as you say. By the way, buses from ANgra or Porto Frade are cheap and good.

+1 on the recommendation of Angra as port to clear in. In my experience that is the easiest place in the whole country. If you arrive in Buzios or Cabo Frio you will have to go to Rio to do papers and I am not sure they will like it.

+1 on recommendation of the area around Angra/Ilha Grande area as cruising ground.

The other classic cruising area in Brazil is the bay of Salvador aka Bahia de Todos os Santos, much less developed than Ilha Grande. Unfortunately safety can be an issue there (unlike in Angra/Ilha Grande). If you PM me I can hook you up with local sailors who can give you the latest..

Regarding the difficulty in sailing from Rio to Salvador, it depends on time of the year. Half of the year it is very difficult with NE in your nose, but the rest of the year (say Feb-Aug if I recall correctly; see pilot charts) it is OK. That would drive my choice of arrival port.

Fair winds

Charlie
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 13:02   #9

Boat: Hunter 340

I worked out of Rio and Macae in Brazil for a year. The beaches are ok. Nothing else interests me there. Watch your wallet.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote