Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2021, 17:34   #16

Re: Buying a boat in Grenada

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayMorning View Post
Montanan posted some good forms and information. I highly recommend USCG documentation. Use the USCG bill of sale form to smooth the application for documentation. Use a US notary to witness the signatures since the USCG will not accept a foreign notarized document without an accompanying document (called an apostile) that you would have to obtain from the Grenadan foreign ministry. A US notary is available at the US consulate on Grenada.
SundayMorning provides good advise good, but if the vessel has temporary admission status, how can they conclude a sale in the country, i.e. at the US consulate?

A good can not be imported for sale, lease or further manufacturing under a temporary admission.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 17:43   #17

Boat: Moody 40 CC

@Montanan & SundayMorning. Wow! When I made my original post I expected a handful of anecdotal comments, but I feel like I ought to be paying you guys for legal advice. My offer of a beer has been substantially raised.

I will certainly be reviewing all of the links in detail, and I'm likely to engage some legal help in Grenada to make sure I don't fall in a pot hole, but your help has been tremendous in helping me figure out how to approach this.
JohnEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 18:07   #18

Boat: Lagoon 440

Montanan: SundayMorning provides good advise good, but if the vessel has temporary admission status, how can they conclude a sale in the country, i.e. at the US consulate?

A good can not be imported for sale, lease or further manufacturing under a temporary admission.

Good points that I don't know the answer to. When I purchased my boat it was under a cruising permit. After the purchase, I presented the old cruising permit with the previous owner's information and paid for a new cruising permit with my information going forward. There were no consequences to that action. Maybe I got lucky or maybe there is a standard exception to support the cruising industry. I did what my broker told me to do and it worked.
SundayMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2022, 20:20   #19

Boat: Dufour Gibsea 51

Curious how this all worked out. We’re under contract for a boat in Grenada and are us citizens. We don’t intend to bring the boat to the us for a while, so do we simply do the uscg documentation? The boat is currently registered in BVI.
PhillipPalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2022, 20:41   #20

Boat: Lagoon 400

It all worked out well. The boat was considered in transit. Needed the bill of sale and had it apostatized by the ministry. The prior owner did this for us. Then at check out of Grenada showed that, needed a new cruising permit and we were off. Relatively painless now tax implication.
Bradjacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2022, 20:57   #21

Boat: Lagoon 440

Glad to hear it all worked out well for you. Happy cruising!
Mike
SundayMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2022, 22:27   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEvans View Post
@Montanan & SundayMorning. Wow! When I made my original post I expected a handful of anecdotal comments, but I feel like I ought to be paying you guys for legal advice. My offer of a beer has been substantially raised.

I will certainly be reviewing all of the links in detail, and I'm likely to engage some legal help in Grenada to make sure I don't fall in a pot hole, but your help has been tremendous in helping me figure out how to approach this.
Hi John,

I hope they are of assistance. Feel free to PM me if you need further assistance. Wishing I was presently in Grenada. Love that Isle.

Best wishes and many, many Bon Voyages.

Apologizes, as I have been away from the internet and thus from the wonderful CruisersNetwork due to the fact that my remote summer access properties are far up a remote canyon in a mountain range of The Last Best Place, Montana and have no telephone, cell phone, internet or even electricity thus incommunicable.
And secondly as because I have been exceptionally busy developing a new heating, ventilation and air conditioning technology that is multiple times more efficient that the ancient now 120-year-old refrigerant vapor compression technology originally invented by Willis Carrier, the founder of Carrier Corporation which efforts have literally kept my from being on any of my three sail boats in over three years. With deepest frown:

My wife and I are so longing to be under sails yet again.

Wishing all the best.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2022, 04:40   #23

Boat: Dufour Gibsea 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradjacki View Post
It all worked out well. The boat was considered in transit. Needed the bill of sale and had it apostatized by the ministry. The prior owner did this for us. Then at check out of Grenada showed that, needed a new cruising permit and we were off. Relatively painless now tax implication.
As you are US and UK citizen did you end up registering in BVI or did you go with USCG documentation?
The broker we are purchasing through suggested we register the boat in Delaware for ease of paperwork, but as I understand it that doesn't actually do anything for us unless we lived in Delaware.
PhillipPalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2022, 12:20   #24

Hi John, hope you found your sailboat in Grenada and are cruising.
I bought a 42 Whitby in Grenada in December 2021 and travel back and forth to Arizona. The boat was here and no VAT applied. I registered in USVI and have now USCG documentation, all while living aboard and enjoying the islands. Cruising permits I pay monthly sometimes 6 or more at a time.
Glad to answer any questions if I can.
Best regards
Ken
seadreams@live.com
Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, buying a boat, Grenada