Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2019, 12:41   #61

Boat: CT 49, 1989
Re: Buying a boat in Panama. Could use some advice, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Just so you and others know, there are no marinas in the San Blas, but there are a few within day sail range.
In case you guys missed it, the boat being discussed is on the other end of the canal on the Pacific side.

It is not in San Blas.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 14:16   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by discokachina View Post
I have some friends who have been living on their sailboat in a marina in the San Blas Islands for about 6 years that are extremely knowledgeable on boat maintenance. PM me and I will put you in touch!
Sorry, turns out my friends are in Bocas del Toro which does have several marinas. It must be a special place as they have been there on their boat for so long!!!
discokachina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 14:24   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Xopa View Post
In case you guys missed it, the boat being discussed is on the other end of the canal on the Pacific side.

It is not in San Blas.
I am confused. On the first page of the thread the author made it clear that the boat he was looking to buy was in the San Blas Islands on the East side of Panama.

Did he change the discussion to the West side of Panama?
discokachina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 15:04   #64

Boat: Seafarer36c

It's a boat and now it's on the south side.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 10:26   #65

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by discokachina View Post
I am confused. On the first page of the thread the author made it clear that the boat he was looking to buy was in the San Blas Islands on the East side of Panama.

Did he change the discussion to the West side of Panama?
Just to clarify: Panama lies roughly E-W. The Atlantic coast is in the N side of Panama. The Pacific coast is on the S side of Panama.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 13:54   #66

Hi - does anyone in the community have any friends moored in the San Blas region currently/Turtle Cay area? There are a couple of graveyard boats that I'm interested in - yes that's having noted all the warnings of deterioration of boats that occurs in this region - thanks.
DolphinZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 16:13   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinZ1 View Post
Hi - does anyone in the community have any friends moored in the San Blas region currently/Turtle Cay area? There are a couple of graveyard boats that I'm interested in - yes that's having noted all the warnings of deterioration of boats that occurs in this region - thanks.
Yep, there are indeed some carcases there. Also some in Chichime. But, the San Blas has been closed until just a few days ago (opening announced April 15).

There are a number of "perma-cruisers" in the San Blas, but Im not sure if they were allowed to remain during closure.

There is a San Blas FB page which is more likely to yield a response for you.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1741631842718756

Lots of derelicts (boats & people) in Portobelo and Linton too. More than in the San Blas, since most of the boat carcases in the San Blas are on the reef.

Restoring the never ending supply of wrecked boats from the San Blas has become a specialty of yards and workers around Linton. Check at Linton Bay Marina and PanaMarina. The most experienced glass guy at this is "Choza"...highly skilled/experienced...Ive watched him rebuild catamarans with the lower 3rd of both hulls missing.
Old 19-04-2021, 04:16   #68

Amazing info and insight belizesailor - appreciate the facebook link & now I've new Panamanian drink recipe after looking up Chichime and my geography has improved a little :-). I'd hope that hull rebuild wouldn't figure in any boat I'd look at & I'm not so concerned about aesthetics as long as structural integrity of any boat I'd get surveyed is sound. Good to know there's local boat skills as keel joint, thru hulls, osmosis, rigging & electric and plumbing systems would be aspects of boat that would possibly need attention.
Has anyone done a boat refit or upgrades in those areas you mentioned such as Linton Bay or PanaMarina in respect of parts availability & costs & satisfaction level? With thanks
Old 19-04-2021, 13:39   #69

Quote:
Amazing info and insight belizesailor - appreciate the facebook link & now I've new Panamanian drink recipe after looking up Chichime and my geography has improved a little :-). I'd hope that hull rebuild wouldn't figure in any boat I'd look at & I'm not so concerned about aesthetics as long as structural integrity of any boat I'd get surveyed is sound. Good to know there's local boat skills as keel joint, thru hulls, osmosis, rigging & electric and plumbing systems would be aspects of boat that would possibly need attention.

Has anyone done a boat refit or upgrades in those areas you mentioned such as Linton Bay or PanaMarina in respect of parts availability & costs & satisfaction level? With thanks
De nada.

Ive done work/had work done at both Linton Bay Marina and PanaMarina. These are not full service yards, you arrange your subcontractors and/or do the work yourself. You have to sort out who to work with, and who not. You must be your own general contractor and manage the work. This also means you are the head "go-fer" too...if parts/supplies are needed, you will be the one getting them.

Both yards have modest chandleries with just basic supplies. Importing into Panama is neither hard nor expensive, but it takes time. Fiberglass supplies, paints, some stainless fastners, some basic boat parts are available in Panama, but other stuff will need to be imported.

Both of these yards are in far Eastern Panama...way out near the end of the road...so that is a logistics hassle. Its at least a 2 hour drive to Panama City (minimum).

Honestly, boats are tough, even many old derelicts are basically structurally sound (unless they have been wrecked) if they have just been ignored, but the work required to get them operational again can be horrendous. Many dreamers, without relevant experience/skills pick them up and abandon them again soon after because they had no idea what they were getting into and lack the skills/funds/motivation to finish the job. I know of boats that have been thru this cycle several times and still lie abandonded and unfinished.

Have you worked on boats before?

Speak Spanish?
Old 20-04-2021, 04:48   #70

Thumbs up Re: Buying a boat in Panama. Could use some advice, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
De nada.

Ive done work/had work done at both Linton Bay Marina and PanaMarina. These are not full service yards, you arrange your subcontractors and/or do the work yourself. You have to sort out who to work with, and who not. You must be your own general contractor and manage the work. This also means you are the head "go-fer" too...if parts/supplies are needed, you will be the one getting them.

Both yards have modest chandleries with just basic supplies. Importing into Panama is neither hard nor expensive, but it takes time. Fiberglass supplies, paints, some stainless fastners, some basic boat parts are available in Panama, but other stuff will need to be imported.

Both of these yards are in far Eastern Panama...way out near the end of the road...so that is a logistics hassle. Its at least a 2 hour drive to Panama City (minimum).

Honestly, boats are tough, even many old derelicts are basically structurally sound (unless they have been wrecked) if they have just been ignored, but the work required to get them operational again can be horrendous. Many dreamers, without relevant experience/skills pick them up and abandon them again soon after because they had no idea what they were getting into and lack the skills/funds/motivation to finish the job. I know of boats that have been thru this cycle several times and still lie abandonded and unfinished.

Have you worked on boats before?

Speak Spanish?

'If you listen to advice & are willing to learn, one day you will be wise'

Great to hear experienced voice belizesailor & I get real sense of the determination, resourcefulness & knowledge of boats needed to get a boat into sailing shape from what you've shared. Si soy honesto, no tengo apetito parar meses haciendo reparaciones cuanda hay optionce gastar mas y tengo barca en mas buena condicione.

I have a 1/4 share in Bavaria 36 here in the UK for past few years but wouldn't consider myself sufficiently skilled to undertake boat project especially in remote location. I've never mixed resin or tuned rigging or dealt with serious boat failures so even if boat was in great location with all facilities and parts availability I'd still feel uncomfortable undertaking boat project. But if there was local skilled workers I'd consider contracting the work for upgrades.

I found a boat in Turtle Cay which on first look seemed great value, had been sailed around Caribbean for 10yrs and owner swallowed the anchor, new owner bought the boat 12 months ago but is now selling again indicating he want's a bigger boat - begs question why he didn't determine that in advance and is probably exactly the scenario you described. Anyway I do appreciate your input which helps identify where enthusiasm without knowledge or patience can lead to difficulties - so very much appreciate info provided. And the info about logistic challenges is great - I do some DIY at home and jobs always take 3 times longer than originally planned and multiple trips to the DIY store for tools and materials so your information resonates very well.

Muchas gracias - mi espanol es sufficente y intiendo mas que hablar, alemejor, es un rason visitar a San Blas para mejorar mi espanol!
Old 20-04-2021, 13:19   #71

Quote:
'If you listen to advice & are willing to learn, one day you will be wise'

Great to hear experienced voice belizesailor & I get real sense of the determination, resourcefulness & knowledge of boats needed to get a boat into sailing shape from what you've shared. Si soy honesto, no tengo apetito parar meses haciendo reparaciones cuanda hay optionce gastar mas y tengo barca en mas buena condicione.

I have a 1/4 share in Bavaria 36 here in the UK for past few years but wouldn't consider myself sufficiently skilled to undertake boat project especially in remote location. I've never mixed resin or tuned rigging or dealt with serious boat failures so even if boat was in great location with all facilities and parts availability I'd still feel uncomfortable undertaking boat project. But if there was local skilled workers I'd consider contracting the work for upgrades.

I found a boat in Turtle Cay which on first look seemed great value, had been sailed around Caribbean for 10yrs and owner swallowed the anchor, new owner bought the boat 12 months ago but is now selling again indicating he want's a bigger boat - begs question why he didn't determine that in advance and is probably exactly the scenario you described. Anyway I do appreciate your input which helps identify where enthusiasm without knowledge or patience can lead to difficulties - so very much appreciate info provided. And the info about logistic challenges is great - I do some DIY at home and jobs always take 3 times longer than originally planned and multiple trips to the DIY store for tools and materials so your information resonates very well.

Muchas gracias - mi espanol es sufficente y intiendo mas que hablar, alemejor, es un rason visitar a San Blas para mejorar mi espanol!
Good, you have boat related experience and Spanish!

My guess is the Buyer at Turtle Caye got a dose of reality.

Unless you can fix a boat up at wholesale rates then its usually not worth it financially. Its also a question of how much your time is worth...if as you say you have other options. Ive watched boat restoration projects go on for years...just to ultimately be scraped.

Labor/yard rates here are sufficiently modest that boats can be brought back from extremely bad condition for a not entirely irrational cost, especially if the owner is skilled and willing to work too, but it is still an arduous process that will require lots of time and perseverance.

"Parley Revival" comes to mind. They have spent some time in yards here in Panama. Search for them on YouTube...its a good story of a success, but not without its trials and tribulations...and this with an experienced owner.

Parley Revival also spent some time on the Rio Dulce in Guatemala. Another good place to find/restore/refit a boat (also was my home base for many years).

In the end, if you have the funds, I think you are better off to buy a suitable boat in at least average condition.
Old 20-04-2021, 15:28   #72

belizesailor - thanks again for the information. Do you mind if i ask if you're based in Belize as your cruiserforum moniker suggests or in Panama? I do have reason in mind for that enquiry and would be interested to know if you'd email me at PatMaloney01@hotmail.co.uk. I'm still interested in having survey done on boat I seen but have associated enquiry. Thanks
Old 20-04-2021, 19:21   #73

Quote:
belizesailor - thanks again for the information. Do you mind if i ask if you're based in Belize as your cruiserforum moniker suggests or in Panama? I do have reason in mind for that enquiry and would be interested to know if you'd email me at PatMaloney01@hotmail.co.uk. I'm still interested in having survey done on boat I seen but have associated enquiry. Thanks
I used to live in Belize, but now live in Panama.
Old 21-04-2021, 07:36   #74

Great getting combination of boat and local knowledge - thanks
Old 21-04-2021, 08:52   #75

Quote:
Great getting combination of boat and local knowledge - thanks
Ive lived/cruised/travelled all over Central America for almost 20 years now, from Belize to Panama and almost everywhere in between. So, if you want to know about an area, I can probably help.

Tags
boat, buying, lease, Panama