Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2021, 11:37   #1

BVI 2021

Hello,
Has anyone been sailing in the BVI in the last few months?
Welcome any tips, suggestions, or recommendations in navigating the COVID quarantine protocols.

Where did you choose to quarantine day 0-4?
Were you able to get provisions brought to the boat during that itme?
Did you take the dinghy ashore at designated moorings?

Add any additional information!
thanks
Farmwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 11:42   #2

Re: BVI 2021

We have a charter scheduled for July in BVI, I hope they allow vaccinated individuals to skip the testing and quarantine by then. We're all medical workers and vaccinated.
Catalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 12:09   #3

Thank you
We are booked for May

Quarantine protocol may still be active
Hope July is better for you with vaccines!!
Old 19-02-2021, 06:03   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalier View Post
We have a charter scheduled for July in BVI, I hope they allow vaccinated individuals to skip the testing and quarantine by then.
I hope you are right, too. But I wouldn't count on it.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 14:05   #5

Tell me I am wrong for wanting to cancel our upcoming trip.

Would love some input on this. We have our trip planned for July 2- 10. This was postponed from last year. Reading over the restrictions it really sounds like it is going to be a killjoy of a trip. The first 4 days you are on the boat only, no beach, no restaurant, no entertainment. Just on the boat. Then you have to sail back to Tortola to get tested again. Then you are free to go where you want. Well with a 8 day charter we have just blown half the trip IMO.

So if you have gone, what was your experience? Would you go again with the same restrictions?
Burbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 17:47   #6

Burbman, those are almost exactly the dates of our trip. I've never been to the BVI before, so any trip is going to be fun for me. Plus, I really enjoy the sailing, (and the scantily-clad company on the boat) so lots of time underway is not a problem for us.

Also, I've heard from our "eyes on the ground" in BVI that we can still go to certain beaches, get takeout from the restaurants, and the testing regime is super easy and fast.

https://bvi.gov.vg/tags/novel-coronavirus

Gov't website with all the latest orders and closings and openings ect.

https://youtu.be/yEVgwCf-1ZU

Here's a video a guy did in December. He goes really in depth about the testing, quarantine, all that stuff.

I'm hoping that the crowds stay down so we can have the place to ourselves, honestly. and I really believe that vaccine passports will be accepted by then, so we can skip at least the 4 day quarantine.

Let me know what boat you'll be on and we'll try to hail you on the radio if you still make it to the islands.
Catalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 18:22   #7

I reviewed that video previously. Felt it was a little skewed considering he is a yacht owner with a boat in the BVI for charter. I would be hopeful that the restrictions could be lifted before July. But our group does not want to be limited to be exclusively on the boat for 4 days. Additionally, our float plan would put us further east on day 3, so it would really impact what we will be able to enjoy. Then you have to head back to get tested again. And god forbid if you get a negative test and unable to travel home with a forced quarantine in BVI for 14 days.
Burbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 01:41   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and belated welcome aboard the CF, Burbman.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:41   #9

I haven't gone since the pandemic hit, but with the current restrictions I have to say that I, personally, would not go for an 8-day trip. I would want a bare minimum of 10 days to make it worthwhile. Two weeks would be better.

But that's me. Each person/group has to decide for themselves. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:16   #10

Dear Burban,
I think it is clear the input for others is 50/50 pros and cons; final decision is personal preference.
PROS:
As mentioned during day 1-4 you can enjoy being underway, improve sailing skills, teach others on the boat and moor at 14 different options for the night, still enjoying the beauty of the BVI.
You are not restricted to only a few locations.
The traffic is minimal, the bays are quiet.
Day 5-8 will be wonderful service ashore at restaurants with no crowds
The Bathes will be like in the good 'ole days!
This is a step back in time sailing in the BVI
I agree book for as long as possible, but dont rule out if only 8days

CONS:
No port of call day 1-4 except for test at Nanny Cay
If someone tests positive it means 14 day quarantine at own expense
(this seems more concerning than initial 4-day)
Old 22-03-2021, 13:15   #11

Just booked charter for early June with Conch Charters. Here the links from their website. Looks like you can go ashore during quarantine while moored at the approved sites (with few exceptions). I also hope that local restaurant will have contactless delivery to enjoy painkiller while on quarantine.

https://conchcharters.com/about-the-...irgin-islands/
https://conchcharters.com/about-the-...mooring-sites/
vmelnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 12:09   #12

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmwife View Post
Hello,
Has anyone been sailing in the BVI in the last few months?
Welcome any tips, suggestions, or recommendations in navigating the COVID quarantine protocols.

Where did you choose to quarantine day 0-4?
Were you able to get provisions brought to the boat during that itme?
Did you take the dinghy ashore at designated moorings?

Add any additional information!
thanks
Hello, We have a crew headed down to the BVI the first week of May. We're sailing our boat back from the BVI to Beaufort, NC. The BVI Gateway Portal https://bvigateway.bviaa.com/ is where you'll need to submit your request and appropriate documents for approval. The link https://bvi.gov.vg/controlled-re-ent...virgin-islands has additional information to help navigate the BVI Gateway Portal. You'll have to have all the information and documents when you start the application because the site does not save the information and you'll have to re-accomplish it. We will be complying with protocol and quarantine on our sailboat for 4 days at designated moorings and anchorages. We won't be going ashore per protocol, so we'll ensure we have enough provisions brought to the boat to last through quarrantine. I hope the protocols will adjust soon for the travlelers that have been vaccinated. I hope you have a great time in the BVI!
Easy Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2021, 09:10   #13

Boat: 1978 Tartan 34C

We are headed down there for a 12 day charter on May 29th.

We are fully vaccinated and the BVI changed there quarantine requirements.
Fully vaccinated people need a negative test before arrival, and one when you land. As soon as the arrival test comes back negative you are out of quarantine.

Non vaccinated individuals I read are now quarantined for 7 days instead of 4. I think they are trying anything to motivate their residents to get vaccinated.

If anyone is interested I can report back with first hand information when I return.

Hopefully everyone going tests negative, I really do not want to be quarantined the entire time. We booked this vacation 1.5 years ago and have had to reschedule it twice., because of Covid. If I could have got our money back I would have.
Old 26-05-2021, 08:05   #14

As of today, May 26th, the official BVI government website still says the 4-day quarantine is required. Where did you see that vaccinated people are exempt?
Old 26-05-2021, 11:47   #15

Boat: 1978 Tartan 34C

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
As of today, May 26th, the official BVI government website still says the 4-day quarantine is required. Where did you see that vaccinated people are exempt?
https://www.bvitourism.com/sites/def...May-7-2021.pdf

Tags
BVI