Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2021, 08:16   #1

BVI boundary issues

A while back I was reading that the BVI was aggressively enforcing their water boundary with the USVI, impounding vessels, huge fines, etc.

I have booked a charter next summer to explore the USVI, mostly St. John. I was looking at how close I may come to that boundary while tacking to the east along the north side of St. John.

Does anyone here know if this is continuing to be a big problem? I am wondering the best way to stay out of trouble, maybe resorting to just motoring when nearing Mary Pt. for example. Can I trust the accuracy of a chart plotter backed by Navionics regarding the border line?

So what's the latest? Has the BVI woken up to the negative impact of that policy on tourism? Thanks for any insight.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 09:44   #2

Re: BVI boundary issues

I'm doing the same thing in Feb. Saw some horror stories about innocent passage being suspended in 2020 and this recent reference. https://www.caribbeancompass.com/onl...ass_online.pdf - Article by Joan Conover

Any recent info would be good.
londoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 11:05   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57

The exclusion zone no longer exists.
Old 28-12-2021, 12:11   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I don't know what this means. I was referring to the boundary between the U.S. side and the British side. Can you clarify what you mean by the exclusion zone?
Old 28-12-2021, 12:16   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshooter View Post
I don't know what this means. I was referring to the boundary between the U.S. side and the British side. Can you clarify what you mean by the exclusion zone?
You're both saying the same thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclusion_zone

Exclusion Zone: A territorial division established for various, case-specific purposes.

Per the United States Department of Defense, an exclusion zone is a territory where an authority prohibits specific activities in a specific geographic area (see military exclusion zone). These temporary or permanent zones are created for control of populations for safety, crowd control, or military purposes, or as a border zone.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 13:10   #6

He’s talking about this
https://bvi.org.uk/boaters-advised-not-to-sail-in-exclusion-zone/

Can you point to any official statement on this?

Thanks!
londoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 15:17   #7

https://www.bvibeacon.com/exclusion-...bbed-outdated/

The BVIs set up a special exclusion zone because of Covid. This allowed their boarder control a focused place to focus to keep folks out of the BVIs. If any boat (from USVI or BVI) was in the zone, they’d grab it. So they reduced the number of possible boats from infinity to 0. So they’d stop everyone.

When there’s no EZ everyone can travel there. They didn’t check every boat in between SJ and Tortola because there were a ton of boats going through there and there was no reason or resouces to stop to make sure they went through immigration. They’d just check you at all the other spots in the BVIs.

Earlier in 2021 there were changes made, like a corridor to allow boats in the BVIs to pass through the EZ. https://www.bvibeacon.com/marine-cor...xclusion-zone/

From everything I can find the Ez still exists. Your safe if you stay in USVI waters. Tacking in that small channel is probably not going to work. You’ll have to use the engine and scoot through in USVI waters. Technically, pre-EZ you weren’t allowed in BVI waters without going to c&i.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 16:18   #8

Thanks leboyd.

That link did not have a map, but even if it did, I am not planning to go into BVI waters at all. I am interested in whether, as I had read earlier, British authorities were detaining boaters along the boundary between the BVI and USVI. Some had even said that boaters who had not crossed into BVI waters were impacted. I do not know if such reports were accurate.
Old 29-12-2021, 05:20   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Boaters Advised Not To Sail In Exclusion Zone*
https://bvi.org.uk/boaters-advised-n...xclusion-zone/

* Likely out of date. For instance, doesn’t mention the “marine corridor”, that allows travel directly between Nanny Cay and Jost Van Dyke, nor the “amended curfew order”, that allows vessels to pass along the southern coastline of Tortola, and between Frenchmans Cay and Steele Point.

Good luck, trying to find any information, on these sites:
Government of the Virgin Islands https://bvi.gov.vg/
BVI Tourist Board ➥ https://www.bvitourism.com/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2021, 18:11   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshooter View Post
Thanks leboyd.

That link did not have a map, but even if it did, I am not planning to go into BVI waters at all. I am interested in whether, as I had read earlier, British authorities were detaining boaters along the boundary between the BVI and USVI. Some had even said that boaters who had not crossed into BVI waters were impacted. I do not know if such reports were accurate.
I read several reports of boats in BVI waters, but none where there was credible evidence the boat was in USVI waters. Those who entered BVI waters were heavily fined and boats were confiscated. If you want links to these old articles, I can find one or two for you.

One could say those in USVI waters were “impacted” because they couldn’t tack as they normally would have done. I suppose that’s an “impact”.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 22:53   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 57

The incidents with US boaters were unfortunate and very badly managed, but no boats were confiscated (although BVI customs often threaten that). After over 15 years of keeping my boats in the BVI I chose last May to finally leave the BVI for good due to the BVI's attitudes towards boaters getting worse annually while the costs (and additional fees and surcharges) continually go up.

Old 31-12-2021, 09:44   #12

Thanks leboyd and Zanshin
Old 03-01-2022, 23:58   #13

My wife and I were just in the USVI on a bareboat charter and were informed in no uncertain terms that it was a $10K fine to enter BVI waters. I’m not sure if that was a BVI imposed fine or a charter company fee, but either way we made sure to give the sea border plenty of room. It made The Narrows interesting with cargo traffic coming west bound in BVI water and bi directional small vessel traffic on the both sides (BVI/USVI), but it was still a beautiful trip.
Calphor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 04:27   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Calphor.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:25   #15

Thank you, Calphor

Tags
BVI