Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2017, 10:47   #1

Boat: Hobie 16; Mastercraft prostar 205
BVI Charter

We have a charter booked with Dream Yacht Charter this coming January. After Irma we are considering a change. At this point DYC can't give me any definite information about whether the boat we were to charter is still in service. They did say the base will be operational but have offered to allow us to change our destination.

Is anyone near there with information on the DYC BVI fleet?

I am torn and really feel for the people there and wouldn't mind going to the BVI and spending money, but have many concerns; will stores, bars , restaurants, etc. even be back up and running? Will it be safe with all that has happened? Will the people there be happy to have us there or resentful that we are having fun while they are trying to rebuild their lives?
Maybe I am being selfish? Please don't judge.

Anyway looking at DYC's offerings we are looking at The Abacos and Martinique as possibilities. Anyone who has been to both have any recommendations?

My wife and I have been to the Abacos and loved it but some in our group want more things to do which is why Martinique came on their radar. Are people in Martinique bi-lingual? We only know English. Are prices there higher than the Bahamas?

Any advice will be appreciated
Cdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 10:52   #2

Re: BVI Charter

Was just looking at Martinique on Google earth. How far and long (approximate Hours) away is St Lucia.
Old 15-09-2017, 10:59   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdreamin View Post
Was just looking at Martinique on Google earth. How far and long (approximate Hours) away is St Lucia.
It's a half a day's sail to Rodney Bay, depending on where you start out.

Personally, I would not do a charter in the BVIs that soon. Too many unknowns. If you feel charitable, make a donation to an organization that is channeling aid to where it will help.

The Windward Islands are beautiful cruising grounds, among my favorites. Great sailing, less travelled than the BVIs, and some remarkable undersea areas to explore. Based on my experience the Windwards are less humid than the BVIs around January, as well.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 11:06   #4

We had a BVI charter scheduled for March with the Moorings and changed it to the Abacos. A few friends who have been there highly recommended the change. Totally agree that there are too many unknowns. I also felt bad that we should support them but a donation would be a much better idea. We look forward to seeing BVI sometime in the future.
penaltybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 11:11   #5

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

IMHO the best time to visit a country is when they are rebuilding society. The people have been through hell, and life is looking up, so they tend to be still rooted in the basics of survival while having such positive attitudes because they are looking forward to better times.

They seem to be genuinely glad you're there. Not just for your money, but because you had the guts to go there, because you know life isn't going to be a beach. You're willing to share a bit of their struggle.

Not being trapped in the day-to-day 14 hour a day job, they have some more time to spend with you; likewise because you're the only one in the shop that morning. You get to know people better.

You're also likely to get personally attached and drop a few bucks you don't have to. Some of my lifelong bonds started in such situations.

When I meet with my friends now, we think back "ahhh...remember when..." simple times- a few beers on a beach, a good catch of fresh fish. When things we had taken for granted were suddenly blessings. Then we laugh- are we @*#& nuts thinking about good times during a civil war? Yes...there were good times, and oddly enough when things are so easy now it's not so memorable.

Not to say you don't have to watch out for raskols, but if you do go, and get to know a few folks, believe me they will watch out for you.

So go. If your boat has scratches and dents, who cares. Remember that you're joining a society on the mend, don't expect paradise, and you will be rewarded.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 11:19   #6

I love the Abacos, but the weather in January can be a crap shoot. If I were you I would still consider the BVI. Nanny Cay is already open (although currently serving drinks only to the staff after a hard days work), Foxy's and Corsairs have vowed to be open by Christmas (bar only), and Bomba says he will get something together soon. The outlook for Virgin Gorda is more bleak (Bitter End, Saba Rock, and Spanish Town are in critical condition), but I think the biggest obstacle will be the availability of boats - have you seen the pics of Paraquita Bay? Most of the charter fleet is wiped out.
RidgeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 11:32   #7

I have a BVI charter planned for March and completely agree with Tetepare, above, on visiting a rebuilding country. No plans to change unless there isn't a boat. It is understandable that folks would want to relocate an expensive vacation. The Abacos are great and the people wonderful. The evenings can be a bit cool in January. Just bring a sweater for the evening, have a great time, and drink a tranquil turtle for me.
fahtcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 12:10   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

My biggest pet peeve with the BVI is that there are WAAY too may charter boats there. In season, if you are not at an anchorage by noon, you may not get a ball and have no room left to anchor. Watching multiple boats race around the point at max throttle to fight for the last mooring ball is pathetic. That is why you don't see very many owners / cruisers staying there. They typically move on.

Personally, I see a charter in the BVI this January as an opportunity to sail in relative tranquility. You may have peaceful anchorages to yourself. The way it used to be.

Martinique is very French, don't expect people to speak to you in English. Some might, most wont. I like Martinique and love the food!!
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 12:41   #9

Boat: Boatless

Charter a boat in Guadaloupe and sail to the Les Saintes.
https://www.google.com/search?q=les+...w=1024&bih=672

The BVI is now the Disney World of sailing

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 18:42   #10

We had a DYC charter out of St. Martin staring Oct. 6. Our broker sent us an email a couple of days ago that confirmed that the charter was off and that we could try to reschedule for another location further south or a different time in 2018.

This was for all the charter companies they represent. They said all the charters for January and beyond were still on schedule, regardless of the location.

I understand the Martinique location is handling things for St. Martin and BVI, but I did exchange some emails from the location in Boston.

Hopefully, you'll be good.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 04:41   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, penaltybox.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 09:37   #12

Hi all,

We have a similar situation as 'Cdreamin'. We have booked a bare boat charter in the 7th of January with Dream Yacht Charter (BVI) for our honeymoon. Yesterday we got information via our agent that our boat was lost in the catastrophe, but they can offer us a replacement boat (brand new 2018 model) so they can protect our booking in BVI. Now I have a bit mixed feeling about this - whether to travel to BVI in January or not. We were planning to stay almost a week in two different hotels and both of them were badly damaged and the reservations are already cancelled. It is probably difficult to find another hotel from the islands. Although the boat is ok, I am not sure, how the infrastructuce (harbours, stores, restaurants etc.) will be in place in less than four months time. Furthermore, I understood that basically all the trees were damaged so it is also difficult to know how quickly the nature will recover from this. Although, I believe that returning customers (i.e. tourists) are very important for the future of this area, I am not sure whether this will be a right time to travel there.
anjolain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 12:43   #13

Thanks for starting this thread Cdreamin....we've been dealing with guilt over this decision as well.

My husband and I were looking forward to family trip to the BVIs over our kid's winter school break. We've been there before when kids were younger but this time we will be skippering on our own (so, yes, stress level already increasing as a first timer!) A lot can happen in 3-4 months but the devastation is simply horrific so, unfortunately, we need to consider alternatives. Does anyone have any advice for first timers in the Abacos, St. Lucia, or Grenada? We'd prefer moorings vs. anchoring if possible. I know all the experienced sailors might laugh but try to remember your first time skippering. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
SoCalMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 17:00   #14

I came across an article today that quoted the couple who run the DYC base on Tortola. They said " All 75 boats in their fleet is floating upside down"

Although the booking agent told me last week that they are bringing in boats from other bases it doesn't sound promising.

I appreciate everyone's input. still undecided and waiting to see what boats are available on Tortola.
Old 16-09-2017, 21:54   #15

Boat: Hylas 49

Chartered in Martinique last November. Loved it! Language can be a challenge but lots of locals speak enough English to communicate with you. Meals are very affordable. Great people and nice achorages.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, charter