Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 09:22   #1

Boat: All kinds of 'em, from 9' dinks to 100+' motoryachts, power or sail...
Send a message via Yahoo to robw_fl
BVI Charter Companies - Any Recommendations ?

Hey all,

Some friends of mine decided they wanted to head to the BVI for a charter this January and invited my wife and I along. Great! But.....I've only ever been through on deliveries! Never chartered a boat down there. So, I'm hoping someone here might have a recommendation or two of what charter company to use, or, possibly who to avoid?

I've talked to the moorings, and my friend is negotiating with CYOA right now. Would love to hear from anyone about other companies that offer maybe something in the way of a less than spit-shined, brand new overpriced cat for the price of a small car/week? Yeah...I know...good luck, right?

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob
Old 03-12-2009, 09:59   #2

Boat: Newport 28 MKII
might try Conch Charters. We had good luck with them. They use older charterboats that are very well maintained. I think the Beneteau we had last time was 6 years old, ex-Moorings boat and everything worked perfectly and the boat was very clean and ready when we arrived. Finding a cat this late for January may be a challenge. Have a great trip!
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:36   #3

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Footloose also charters older boats. It is a part of Tui Marine that also owns the Moorings and Sunsail. People seem to either love them or hate them. Compared to some of the smaller companies, you may feel more like a number, but there are also some nice efficiencies to that size operation.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:33   #4

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
I vote for CYOA, espcially since I can sometimes be found doing charter briefings for them. Perhaps I am not being very objective.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 18:22   #5

Boat: Yorktown 35
Before moving down here, I used to fly down to the BVI's and charter from Sunsail.
5 times to be exact. have always had a wonderful experience; boat that didn't break down and professional and courteous staff to help. I've not used any other charter company there due to the excellent experience I had the first time - I kept going back. good luck and have fun!
rdcleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 18:58   #6

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Without a doubt, there is not a company I could more highly recommend than BVI Yacht Charters, Tortola. We've only charted with them twice. But I've recommended them to DOZENS of people, and EVERYONE was very happy with them. Very personal service, a great choice of boats from brand new to a few years old (and prices to match), but much less than the big boys. They treat you like family.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 19:11   #7

Boat: Gemini 105M 34
Send a message via Yahoo to captainstubbie
Definately NOT Conch Charters! Chartered a boat, food ordered way ahead of time not on board - had to spend part of the day shopping instead of sailing. Topside hatches leaked every night -drip drip drip onto our berths. Bilge pump stuck on in middle of nite. This and that did not work throughout the trip. Discussed with management after trip - all we got was a "how about we give you one extra day free next time you come back?". Right, like i was going to use them again. BVI Yacht Charters, Sunsail, Moorings, anyone but Conch. Just my 2 cents worth - FWIW.
Old 03-12-2009, 20:53   #8

Boat: Ocean Alexander
Did well with TMM last February. chartered a Bene the first week and a Hunter the second. both boats older but in good shape. Good service also
Alaska JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:13   #9

My experience with Moorings was excellent, really first rate.
captain ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 13:49   #10

Boat: All kinds of 'em, from 9' dinks to 100+' motoryachts, power or sail...
Send a message via Yahoo to robw_fl
Very much appreciated guys - thanks so much for all the info and quick responses. Will take all of the above, good and bad, to heart and hopefully we'll end up on a decent boat for a decent price. Feels funny...usually I'm getting paid to go do this stuff, now I'm paying for it!! Anyway, thanks again. Will let you all know how it turns out.

Take care and fair winds,

Rob
Old 04-12-2009, 14:00   #11

Boat: Looking, looking, Looking
Give BareCat a try-

Have used BareCat Charters twice now and cannot say enough good things about them. All they have are Cats and older ones and a newer one too. Friendly people stateside and the best ground support I have had with any of the charter company's I have worked with. Worth a look!
fbchristo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
British Virgin Islands