Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2020, 20:26   #1

Boat: Beneteau 324
BVI charter, Provisions and laundry

In a few weeks, we're taking a Sunsail cat out for ten days of cruising the BVI's. We're ordering some provisions from Bobby's in RoadTown, but would like to know of other places in the BVIs where we can re-provision mid trip. We're going to Virgin Gorda, Anegada, and Trellis Bay mid trip. Where would be the best place to add provisions?
We're in the region for 19 days, so we'd like to know if there are any convenient laundromats on any of the of the surrounding BVI islands away from Road Town. Any in Trellis Bay? Any ideas would be appreciated.
keioki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 03:17   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: BVI charter, Provisions and laundry

There are small grocery stores at Trellis and Leverick Bay. Both have a basic selection of food, although the Leverick Bay store is not cheap. If you go into Spanish Town you can do shopping there as well.

Leverick Bay has washing machines, there are none that I know of in Trellis.

If you go into Cane Garden Bay you will have both. Great Harbour on Jost has a superette (and bakery) ashore, but I can't recall ever seeing a place to do laundry there.

I don't know what has been rebuilt in Anegada, but would be surprised if there were places to do laundry, but you can get groceries there.

If you can get everything you need at Riteway or Bobbys I would recommend doing that, then you wouldn't have to arrange your itinerary to accommodate shopping.
Old 19-02-2020, 06:36   #3

Everything Zanshin said. Generally you will have a harder time provisioning in the outer islands with the exception of Virgin Gorda. We had no luck funding anything we needed on Jost (my kingdom for a cucumber!) didn't bother looking or provisioning in Anegada. Cane Garden Bay and Trellis would be better for re-provisioning. Soper's hole in Westend, Tortola used to be a great stop for re-provisioning but not sure whether the grocery store is back up and running and if it is full stocked after Irma (they got hit especially hard!...). On a typical 7-8 day cruise out of Rd Town, we would stop mid week at Leverick, Cane Garden Bay and Soper's to re-provision for fresh veggies, fruit and Beer (need to keep hydrated after all!).

Agree with Zanshin, provision as much as you can from Bobby's or Riteway...

Don't know about washing machines beyond Leverick Bay which we used mid week mainly to freshen towels.
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 06:54   #4

If you haven't come across Travel Talk forum it is a great resource for BVI bare boat cruising. Lots of tips and itinerary advice available.

British Virgin Islands - TravelTalkOnline

Zanshin is also a regular contributor for that forum...

Ps. Zanshin did you make it safely to the BVIs?
Old 19-02-2020, 09:30   #5

Boat: MacGregor 25 & Lagoon 42

What has been said above! Also, have you downloaded the new BVI Now app? It has much of what you're looking for. I know I wished I had it last year when we were looking for ATMs!

Have fun!

-Peter
Timethief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 11:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerHappy View Post

Ps. Zanshin did you make it safely to the BVIs?
Yes and no... I hurt my back on day 4
But the track is at https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...lla%20tracking
Old 19-02-2020, 16:12   #7
Marine Service Provider

In addition to the other responses, a major Riteway is only two or three blocks from the Sun-Sail base. There is also a well provisions small Riteway at Nanny Cay. I understand that you can hang on their dock for an hour or two to get provisions.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 16:26   #8

Boat: Beneteau 324

Thank you. How about mooring? Do we need reservations? Or is it first come first served? How best to reserve if we need to?

SHould we moor at the Baths? Or take a taxi from Spanish Town?
keioki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 06:08   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by keioki View Post
Thank you. How about mooring? Do we need reservations? Or is it first come first served? How best to reserve if we need to?

Should we moor at the Baths? Or take a taxi from Spanish Town?
Moorings is a bit of a contentious issue at the moment. There used to be only first come first serve mooring balls through out the islands. now there is a service called "Boaty Ball" which allows people to reserve a mooring ball via an app the morning (07:00) of the day they want to reserve. This is not in all harbors however. Best to leave and get to the next destination early to ensure that you can secure a mooring. Hard places to secure a mooring ball are Coopers, Great Harbour, leverick Bay (north sound does not have Saba Rock and BEYC up and running yet).

In terms of baths. You will have to get there early to secure a mooring ball than it is hit and miss. If you do moor it can be quite a swim as there are no dingies allowed on the beach. So if you have less than strong swimmers anchoring or mooring in Spanish town and going to the baths is a good option. Another option is to stop at Leverick for a couple of nights on a slip and rent a car for the day and then drive down to the baths. This is what we will most likely do this May. Also consider if there are cruise ships in port the day you want to visit as it will be a zoo!
Old 20-02-2020, 09:56   #10

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Have found Google Maps to be pretty good for finding stuff like that over the last few years cruising in the eastern Caribbean. Not always current, and slow to pickup on closed places, but overall works pretty good.

Conerning The Baths, did they stop letting people tie dinghies to the swim area lines? Even a non-swimmer could hand over hand to the beach if you can still tie off there.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 11:20   #11

They still have the dinghy line at the Baths.

Boatyball is indeed contentius. But at least at Leverick I'dvjuet anchorvoutside of the mooring field in 15-20 feet of water over sand and good holding... Spend those 30 hucks at the bar.

As mentioned, the Baths fill up and getting a mooring is tough, you cruise around and wait for an opening
Old 21-02-2020, 10:04   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerHappy View Post

In terms of baths. You will have to get there early to secure a mooring ball than it is hit and miss. If you do moor it can be quite a swim as there are no dingies allowed on the beach. So if you have less than strong swimmers anchoring or mooring in Spanish town and going to the baths is a good option. Another option is to stop at Leverick for a couple of nights on a slip and rent a car for the day and then drive down to the baths. This is what we will most likely do this May. Also consider if there are cruise ships in port the day you want to visit as it will be a zoo!
We were there in December 2019- the National Parks Trust moorings at the baths now have a 90 minute limit.
Suggest take a slip at the Marina in Spanish Town, and hire a car for the day- go to the baths, Copper Mine point and Hog Heaven for the best ribs and bushwhackers and a stunning view over North Sound and Necker.
sisterblysse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 02:57   #13

The 90-minute limit at The Baths is routinely ignored (particularly by charter boats) and there is no enforcement of that limit.

I second the car rental option to explore Virgin Gorda. Hog Heaven is one of the few must-visit restaurants/bars in the BVI. Although I finally stopped at Stoutt's Lookout on Tortola and have added that to my list (plus the $6 burger is tasty and the price is impossible to beat in the BVI).

Copper Mine point is worth visiting and walking around, and I'd recommend turning off and driving to Savannah Beach for a short cooling off swim and some excellent snorkeling. Leverick Bay is worth a visit, and if you have kids then the Happy 'Arrr show with Michael Beans is a treat.
Old 24-02-2020, 10:25   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
The 90-minute limit at The Baths is routinely ignored (particularly by charter boats) and there is no enforcement of that limit.

I second the car rental option to explore Virgin Gorda. Hog Heaven is one of the few must-visit restaurants/bars in the BVI. Although I finally stopped at Stoutt's Lookout on Tortola and have added that to my list (plus the $6 burger is tasty and the price is impossible to beat in the BVI).

Copper Mine point is worth visiting and walking around, and I'd recommend turning off and driving to Savannah Beach for a short cooling off swim and some excellent snorkeling. Leverick Bay is worth a visit, and if you have kids then the Happy 'Arrr show with Michael Beans is a treat.
This is what we will be doing this May. Slip at Leverick, rent a car lunch at Hogs Heaven, tour the island, baths, back to Leverick for the Friday Night BBQ... can't wait!

Tags
BVI, charter, laundry