Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 22:27   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
BVI Charter Research

Greetings all,

I'm planning on a trip to the BVI's in January 2010 and would like some opinions on an outfit called Bareboats BVI Yachts Charter Broker. Anyone have any experiences with them, good or bad? I'm looking for reputable charter companies other than Moorings and Sunsail.

Also, how is the weather there in January? Does that have anything to do with the drop in charter prices during this month? Appreciate any help that anyone can give. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2009, 07:50   #2

Hi,
Go for BVI Yacht Charters www.bviyachtcharters.com . Great yachts, staff, service and good prices. Make a choice of the boat and you know what you get and paid for. Never had any problems with them (sailed 4 times with them). Januari can be cool. Check weather averages. Prices are down, because it is just after high high high season. Give them a call, perhaps they can make a deal for you.
Pierremundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:57   #3

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
November thru March is the High season for the BVI and prices are typically higher. Most will drop early April by about 20%. And then another drop at start of Hurricane Season in June thru October/ November.

Weather in January is great. You still have the Christmas Winds but you will probably have the Northern Swells which need to be taken into consideration. This is in the Prime season and the area will be filled with boats of all types including charter fleets. You will need to get to your night mooring/ anchor earlier enough to get one while still available. Popular locations like West End/ Sopers Hole and Trellis bay will fill up fast and you may find yourself racing for the next available location if you delay.

I have made the trip from early Dec to Feb for the past 3 years and this year my December trip will not have an end date at all.

First time I came down to charter I used BVI Yacht Charters with very good results and at a good savings over some of the other companies. They are a 2nd tier charter company... generally older boats than you would find at Moorings or SunSail. Depending on what type boat your looking for and what $$$ limitations your working with and number of people on the trip... many companies can assist you. Some have only Catamarans and some have cats and mono's and a few only mono's. Some offer /may require a crew and some are primarily bare-boat but can arrange a skipper or crew if needed.

In the charter business you get what you pay for but that being said, most companies can provide good service and equipment. It all depends on your $$$ , your skill level and what you want and are willing to live with.

If you wish to, give us more info on what your looking for and we may be able to help down select with some recommendations.

I'm sure we will probably cross paths at some point in January!

Fair Winds
Old 06-09-2009, 12:29   #4

Thanks for the info on BVI Yacht Charters. I've seen their website but are they the same as Bareboat BVI Yacht Charter Brokers? They appear to be two different websites. Are we talking about the same people?
Old 06-09-2009, 14:20   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I had a good experience with TMM Yacht Charters a number of years ago, and have heard good reports from others, as well. They're in Tortola.
Old 06-09-2009, 15:12   #6

I chartered three different catamarans from TMM Yacht Charters last year (from Tortola in the BVIs), and one from The Catamaran Company (also Tortola BVIs). I had great service and great boats from TMM. The CatCo boat was very good (almost new Lagoon 420), service was not as good as TMM, but still good.

January is fine, watch for northern swells when choosing anchorages. Have fun!
JustHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 19:20   #7

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Regardless of which company you go with, insist that you get decent ground tackle (NOT a CQR), including a secondary anchor.
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 19:52   #8
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
x3 for TMM. These guys are straight shooters. Also, you can take the boat to Anagada which isn't allowed with some other companies. FWIW, I'm also planning a trip for January in either BVI or St. Maarten and my strategy is to book last minute. It's widely known that charters are down 30%. Given that, getting a boat really won't be a problem so I'm going to negotiate.

If your looking for discount, pro valor charters have a good reputation according to a widely used caribbean travel forum. I don't think it's against the rules, but if so a mod can remove: Traveltalkonline: Viewing forum: Charter Boat Reviews and Questions
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 21:38   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyeska View Post
Thanks for the info on BVI Yacht Charters. I've seen their website but are they the same as Bareboat BVI Yacht Charter Brokers? They appear to be two different websites. Are we talking about the same people?
Bareboats bvi is a locally owned charter brokerage run by a well known lady who has lived in BVI for as long as I have. She inspects bareboats from many fleets and is extremely helpful in helping you to make your decision. This is free to the charterer as the agency takes a commission from the company chosen.

BVI Yacht charters is a Bareboat company who I often skipper for (just finished a 10 day charter this week!) and can therefore vouch for their boats and service.

Hope this helps, Tony

(PS - pretty much all companies allow their boats to Anegada nowadays but mention it at the booking stage and you'll get the up-to-date information and their requirements as to your level of experience etc).
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 18:03   #10

Thanks to all that have posted. The picture is becoming clearer for me and I can't wait to get there!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:26   #11

Boat: Lagoon 620
Send a message via Skype™ to Mustang Sally
We would be happy to answer any questions on charter boats as we are down in the BVi on our catamaran. Email us direct to sharethesail@gmail.com
Mustang Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:21   #12

Personal positive experience with TMM, seconding the other comments

Friends have chartered with CONCH charters (also in Tortola) and have done repeat business.
tami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 19:26   #13

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Another vote for BVI Yacht Charters - we love them and have referred many, many folks to them, with great results.

I can't say the same about a TMM charter we did in Belize...
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 18:25   #14

Stay away from TMM. We chartered the Shauna Raye out of Tortola a few months ago. The yacht took on water 3 days in. TMM took the boat from us with our luggage on board and left us at the island were on. Amazingly, they said we hit something and kept our money for the rest of the days we were supposed has the yacht still. I've never seen anything like this in my life. This was on top many other things. We are currently seeking legal help to get our money back. We took pictures of everything and have proof it was poor maintenance. I am writing this everywhere on the internet hoping the same thing doesn't happen to someone else.
jonchimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 19:23   #15

Hmmmm - How about some details. I have seens some of your posts around the net. A lot of finger pointing but no details. TMM runs a first class outfit. Funny that you would respond to a year old post.

Mark Twain
knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, British Virgin Islands